welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 795, 796, 797 ... 813, 814, 815  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cantor seems to have lost despite raising and spending shit-tons more money.

http://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary.php?id=VA07&cycle=2014
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's in the article mouse posted. He had 27 times as much money and lost on the basis of not opposing immigration reform enough... which the party realizes is necessary in order to remain relevant in the future. Hating immigrants will become a liability, and Tea Partiers will either change with the party or become a liability, too.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm wondering if this will help give campaign financing reform a boost - after all, if piling up the cash doesn't help you win, why kill yourself raising it? (but you pass the law so no one else does it either, just in case).

apparently right up until the end polling showed cantor winning in a walk, but turnout was really low...would be nice if that actually encouraged people to go vote in primaries.

but my main fear is allayed - the democratic party did choose a candidate. so we can hope that we get another spectacular tea partier fail leading to a democrat getting the seat. according to the new yorker:
Quote:
According to the Wall Street Journal, his[Brat's] works include “God and Advanced Mammon: Can Theological Types Handle Usury and Capitalism?” and “An Analysis of the Moral Foundations in Ayn Rand.”

the moral foundations in ayn rand is either the world's shortest book and/or a source of endless merriment, i'm guessing.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Cantor seems to have lost despite raising and spending shit-tons more money.

http://www.opensecrets.org/races/summary.php?id=VA07&cycle=2014

hadn't looked at their site before, this is really quite nice - i like the pie charts showing where the money comes from.

does raise some interesting questions, though - for example, why did Kevin McCarthy(R-CA23) spend $2.5 million in a race where he seems to have had no opposition? (and remember, CA now has an open primary - so "no opposition" means not only no other republicans, but no democrats, no greens, no peace&freedom - _nobody_.)
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would imagine the government shutdown had something to do with Cantor's surprise beatdown. Virginia is swimming in government jobs, the likes of which were put on hold while Cantor was eagerly joining the GOP in walking the country off a cliff.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
i would imagine the government shutdown had something to do with Cantor's surprise beatdown. Virginia is swimming in government jobs, the likes of which were put on hold while Cantor was eagerly joining the GOP in walking the country off a cliff.

I honestly doubt it. The district is heavily Republican, for one, and not really near DC nor any of the military bases in Hampton Roads.

Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Yeah, that's in the article mouse posted. He had 27 times as much money and lost on the basis of not opposing immigration reform enough... which the party realizes is necessary in order to remain relevant in the future. Hating immigrants will become a liability, and Tea Partiers will either change with the party or become a liability, too.

Works for me. I'm not on board with Team Red on immigration.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, the really funny thing is that cantor was functioning as the bridge between the tea party and the rest of the republicans in congress. one wonders who will step into that role....or if anyone will want it, seeing as the tea party is so effective at destroying those closest to it (but not quite there, apparently). and he really wasn't all that soft on immigration reform - he was destroyed by the usual attack-despite-facts tactic.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

They are already a liability.

It takes all of two seconds listening to their talk radio, or reading the chain emails or facebook political memes being passed along the tea party, to know that these people will never be friends of immigrants, and always be that demographic of people deeply unsettled by scary latinos and blacks.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately, I agree, and the political chatter certainly put a chunk of blame on the Tea Party's door for the 2012 Presidential election results. But Tea Partiers are still getting elected in some districts, and so while they're a really big problem in Senate and White House elections, they run the gamut from liability to benefit in House elections depending on the district.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tea party challengers are the byproduct especially of greatly gerrymandered 'packed' districts (whether they were packed by the republicans or democrats, but by and large the great majority of them are self-created nightmares of republican redistrictors)
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesla Motors just opened up their entire patent portfolio, free for anybody to use in good faith.

Quote:
In a conference call with reporters also on Thursday, Musk added that the company plans on “aggressively” filing electric car-related patents and opening them to the public as a pre-emptive measure to thwart other companies or potential patent trolls. This also applies retroactively to all currently held Tesla patents.

"I do think we need some patent reform, and I know there was almost some patent reform that took place,” he said. "No reasonable person would say that the current patent system is suited to foster innovation."

*edit* Well, not QUITE free for anybody. Automakers can use them if they promise not to sue Tesla, or if they exchange something of equal value. Still, it's a damn good move.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
tea party challengers are the byproduct especially of greatly gerrymandered 'packed' districts (whether they were packed by the republicans or democrats, but by and large the great majority of them are self-created nightmares of republican redistrictors)

Yeah... and...?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Rose (you know, from Digg, TechTV, etc) versus the Willamette Heights neighborhood of Portland. Kind of sucks for everyone involved.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portland and eugene neighborhoods both need to crawl out from being up their own asses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 795, 796, 797 ... 813, 814, 815  Next
Page 796 of 815

Jump to: