welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 801, 802, 803 ... 812, 813, 814  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
mouse wrote:
still not clear why this makes it OK for the supremes to ban protests on _their_ public space, but say other jurisdictions can't do the same.

Take it up with them. All of the Justices struck down the MA law, not just the conservative ones.

yes - but for different reasons

Mindslicer wrote:
Quote:
or why, since the law linked allows you to shout, you have to get right up in someone's face to let them know you are protesting them.

Who says you have to get right up in their face? The ruling merely says that banning that action when there is no threat of violence is unconstitutional.

which _allows_ people to get up in your face. as long as they don't actually make physical contact.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer, have you ever seen in person or on video the protests that happen at abortion clinics?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/7876/20140702/activists-want-19-year-old-banned-facebook-africa.htm

So I've been reading a lot of arguments over this lately. Thoughts?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know enough about the situation to know whether she's doing more harm or good, but I find hunting in general to be distasteful. The "fair chase" thing that the article mentions is especially disturbing, and having a head or any other body part mounted on your wall makes me far less likely to like you.
eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I don't know enough about the situation to know whether she's doing more harm or good, but I find hunting in general to be fundamentally distasteful. The "fair chase" thing that the article mentions is especially disturbing.

I think it is the pictures that really get me. Her smug smiling face next to an endangered dead animal just rubs me the wrong way.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and it makes the rest just feel like justifications tacked on after the fact.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The move to demand facebook ban her is just stupid in about a thousand different ways (she might have to go to myspace! THAT'LL SHOW HER!) Whether or not her behavior is reprehensible is a much more complicated question.

Properly managed hunting is a good thing both economically and ecologically, and the income flow is a huge boon to conservation efforts. But by the same token I will simply never understand the sort of person who can a) be insanely ultra-rich and b) vacation in utterly impoverished areas without feeling any desire to, y'know, help.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is displeasing us! Quick, make an online petition!

That'll show 'em!

(Totally still not bitter about the Firefly petition)
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Mindslicer, have you ever seen in person or on video the protests that happen at abortion clinics?

Unless there's some aspect about them that makes the MA law not an abridgment of free speech rights, I'm unclear why the question is relevant to the discussion.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://abc13.com/family/clerical-error-for-child-support-payments-sending-dad-to-jail/134786/

Man fell behind on his child support payments because a clerical error on his employer's part prevented the money from transferring to the child's mother. Evidence of this was shown this in court. The man, who didn't know of the error, fixed the problem when he found out and payed the mother an additional $1000. Judge sentenced him to six months in jail anyway.

Mens rea apparently doesn't matter anymore.

Edit: Or maybe it does. He was freed a week later.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Man-jailed-for-failure-to-pay-child-support-to-be-5596990.php

Last edited by Mindslicer on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Finnegan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Unless there's some aspect about them that makes the MA law not an abridgment of free speech rights, I'm unclear why the question is relevant to the discussion.

I have and I would equate some of the speech of the protesters to falsely yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

I have and I would equate some of the speech of the protesters to falsely yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater.

Which I am sure would violate existing law if a judge and jury agreed.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

I'm asking because I want to know if you've ever seen how the protesters act. For instance, how close they get to the people, how loudly they shout, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Yeah, and it makes the rest just feel like justifications tacked on after the fact.

yeah, it feels like her only real goal is to publicize _herself_ (so she can get that TV hunting show!). you can do good things without making a huge show of it...you can even do good things and publicize them tastefully...but that's not it. i mean, she says the meat from the elephant was going to local people for food - but we don't see food, we see her in great-white-hunter pose atop the elephant (surrounded by the requisite grinning natives).
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

I'm asking because I want to know if you've ever seen how the protesters act. For instance, how close they get to the people, how loudly they shout, etc.

I've never taken part in such a protest, but I strongly doubt that exposing myself to one would change my opinion on this matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 801, 802, 803 ... 812, 813, 814  Next
Page 802 of 814

Jump to: