welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 803, 804, 805 ... 821, 822, 823  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
If what they thought of women trying to access health clinics were the only concern we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's the literal attempts to terrorize them. That was a pretty sloppy attempt at moving the goal post.

No it wasn't, since I'm still taking about the evils of stifling free speech. Other people spoke of terrorism, which I believe is still illegal.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's legal to bar political protesters from telling politicians they're assholes in certain areas during certain events.

Not sure why telling people they can't heckle women outside abortion clinics is any different.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wrote:

no matter how vituperative an argument on line gets, it is orders of magnitude less frightening than one in person. with a stranger. who gives every indication of being able to do you harm.

Mindslicer wrote:
My parents always taught me that sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Must be different nowadays.
Quote:
The New York Post reports Andrew Robert Rector filed a $10 million lawsuit against Major League Baseball, ESPN, and announcers Dan Shulman and John Kruk for allegedly directing a mean-spirited “avalanche of disparaging words” after he fell asleep in the stands during the game April 13.

the new york times, about that same incident, wrote:
What is clear is that Mr. Rector became the target of some online ridicule. Unkind comments from viewers of the clip appeared on YouTube and M.L.B.’s site. Angela Sun, writing for a Yahoo sports blog, poked fun at Mr. Rector for being less than thrilled by the age-old rivalry between the Red Sox and the Yankees. (The Yankees won, by the way, 3-2.) Twitter users also had their fun, inserting Mr. Rector’s picture in various situations, including one that featured him as “Sleeping Beauty.” ]

so: you said you had had experience with people being mean on line.
i said you needed experience with people being mean up close and personal.
you responded with an article about a guy suing because...people were mean to him on line. oh yeah, and some announcers said things that neither he nor the people around him could have heard at the time they were said.

you...you really aren't all that bright, are you?

i would try to find a clip of protesters at an abortion clinic to compare with a clip of that guy sleeping, but there would be no point - you are just not capable of understanding the difference.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Pretty sure it's legal to bar political protesters from telling politicians they're assholes in certain areas during certain events.

Not sure why telling people they can't heckle women outside abortion clinics is any different.

yeah, i was trying to make that point earlier; the difference is that the supreme court says it is OK to make it illegal for people to bother them (the supreme court). i guess they also extend that privilege to their political buddies, which is why protesters being sequestered well away from the politician they are protesting is legal, and so is people screaming in women's faces.

i would wait to hear Mindslicer's rage at the suppression of free speech by designated protest areas, but i have a life.

it's a balance of power thing. they have it, we don't.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Dogen wrote:
If what they thought of women trying to access health clinics were the only concern we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's the literal attempts to terrorize them. That was a pretty sloppy attempt at moving the goal post.

No it wasn't, since I'm still taking about the evils of stifling free speech. Other people spoke of terrorism, which I believe is still illegal.

That's why it's called a conversation, because you're not the only person talking. Everyone else is referring to the well-documented tactics of abortion protesters that are intended to intimidate and terrorize, and happen daily regardless of whether they're legal. Like sexual assault, battering, and other methods of terrorizing women, these behaviors are unlikely to be reported because they're terrified (go figure if you believe someone would harm you you don't want to piss them off). So, pointing out that illegal behavior is illegal does nothing. We either ensure women are protected while exercising their constitutional rights or we pretend that the law protects them when in fact it doesn't.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Samsally wrote:

yeah, i was trying to make that point earlier; the difference is that the supreme court says it is OK to make it illegal for people to bother them (the supreme court). i guess they also extend that privilege to their political buddies, which is why protesters being sequestered well away from the politician they are protesting is legal, and so is people screaming in women's faces.

i would wait to hear Mindslicer's rage at the suppression of free speech by designated protest areas, but i have a life.

it's a balance of power thing. they have it, we don't.

Yeup. I hadn't noticed you'd already mentioned it but I'm not suprised its gone almost completely unaddressed.

(Take it up with them? Really? Ugh.)
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, Mindslicer noticed - completely failed to comprehend the concept, but some of his wiggling is fairly amusing. if you are amused by that sort of thing (i guess it is better to be amused than utterly frustrated, since no response seems to make a difference).
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the committee investigating benghazi has a larger budget than the house intelligence committee.

on a personal note - it is my deep misfortune to be "represented" in congress by darrell issa, the perpetrator of this nonsense. i am really hoping his democratic opponent makes this, and all the rest of the money he has wasted on bogus investigations, a big issue in the election.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elsewhere, I linked some stuff about cupcakes and how they're indicative and symbolic of evil and misogyny and fascism and other bad stuff:

Darqcyde wrote:
#6 and #7 for relevance (maybe NSFW, it's genital themed food): http://www.mommyish.com/2013/10/14/vagina-cakes/

That came from a discussion about the following articles:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/08/beware-of-cupcake-fascism

http://jezebel.com/fuck-cupcakes-475125988

http://jezebel.com/5911208/a-cupcake-is-never-just-a-cupcake-the-psycho-sexuality-of-a-twee-treat

Which lead to the discovery of the t-shirt worthy line: "a cupcake is a symbol for both a vagina and the female orgasm."

Which brings us to today:

Cupcake Shop Crumbs Shuttering All Its Stores

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSJULY 7, 2014, 11:41 P.M. E.D.T.

Quote:
NEW YORK — Crumbs says it is shuttering all its stores, a week after the struggling cupcake shop operator was delisted from the Nasdaq.

The New York City-based company said all employees were notified of the closures Monday. A representative for Crumbs could not immediately say how many workers were affected or how many stores it had remaining on its last day.

"Regrettably Crumbs has been forced to cease operations and is immediately attending to the dislocation of its employees while it evaluates its limited remaining options," the company said in an emailed statement. That will include filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation.

A press release from its website in March listed 65 locations in 12 states and Washington, D.C. The website had not been updated with notification of the closures late Monday.

Crumbs was founded in 2003 and went public in 2011, selling giant cupcakes in flavors including Cookie Dough and Girl Scouts Thin Mints. More recently, however, it had been suffering from a steep decline in sales. For the three months ending March 31, Crumbs Bake Shop Inc. reported a loss of $3.8 million, steeper than the loss of $2 million from the same period a year ago.

The company had warned in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission this past May that it "may be forced to curtail or cease its activities" if its operations didn't generate enough cash flow.

As of the end of last year, Crumbs listed about 165 full-time employees and about 655 part-time hourly employees working in its stores.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today in Dutch News, a 9 year old boy pays 10 cents for swearing with the word Gay towards COC Nederland (the Dutch LGBT advocacy) as punishment of his parents. COC is happy that the parents are so attentive.

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1012/Nederland/article/detail/3685986/2014/07/08/Kereltje-9-betaalt-tien-cent-voor-schelden-met-homo.dhtml
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
a 9 year old boy pays 10 cents for swearing with the word Gay towards COC Nederland

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/07/guantanamo-bay-hobby-lobby-decision-court-filing-read
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Did-It-Didn't-It of whether or not Voyager 1 has officially left the solar system can, from some angles, be seen as rather amusing:

Well, chalk up a pretty big win for the "already left" party.
Solar Outburst Takes One Year To Reach Voyager 1; Confirms the probe is travelling through interstellar plasma.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/07/guantanamo-bay-hobby-lobby-decision-court-filing-read

kinda nice to see one like that pop up so quickly.... i wonder if it will make it to the supreme court?
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i wrote:

no matter how vituperative an argument on line gets, it is orders of magnitude less frightening than one in person. with a stranger. who gives every indication of being able to do you harm.

Mindslicer wrote:
My parents always taught me that sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Must be different nowadays.
Quote:
The New York Post reports Andrew Robert Rector filed a $10 million lawsuit against Major League Baseball, ESPN, and announcers Dan Shulman and John Kruk for allegedly directing a mean-spirited “avalanche of disparaging words” after he fell asleep in the stands during the game April 13.

the new york times, about that same incident, wrote:
What is clear is that Mr. Rector became the target of some online ridicule. Unkind comments from viewers of the clip appeared on YouTube and M.L.B.’s site. Angela Sun, writing for a Yahoo sports blog, poked fun at Mr. Rector for being less than thrilled by the age-old rivalry between the Red Sox and the Yankees. (The Yankees won, by the way, 3-2.) Twitter users also had their fun, inserting Mr. Rector’s picture in various situations, including one that featured him as “Sleeping Beauty.” ]

so: you said you had had experience with people being mean on line.
i said you needed experience with people being mean up close and personal.
you responded with an article about a guy suing because...people were mean to him on line. oh yeah, and some announcers said things that neither he nor the people around him could have heard at the time they were said.

you...you really aren't all that bright, are you?

i would try to find a clip of protesters at an abortion clinic to compare with a clip of that guy sleeping, but there would be no point - you are just not capable of understanding the difference.

I'd understand that the first amendment still applies, and my opinion wouldn't change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 803, 804, 805 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 804 of 823

Jump to: