welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 809, 810, 811 ... 821, 822, 823  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i know about the perfect murder is that you should do it out where the vultures can get to the body. apparently vultures can reduce a body to a random scatter of bones in a quite amazingly short time.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I'd like to continue this line of conversation, Robin Williams just died.

I'm too fukken sad for this shit right now.
Ennis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberjay wrote:
As much as I'd like to continue this line of conversation, Robin Williams just died.

I'm too fukken sad for this shit right now.

It is sad, but then all the more reason to continue down the path of stupid murder plans to distract from it.

I don't think about myself killing anyone, however I have had to think about it for some characters. None were the type that has been mentioned so far though, one was a straight out "angry revenge" non-plan, a stabbing that was meant to frame someone else, mind-controlling (with science!) someone to dig their own (deep) grave and then possibly set them on fire, and someone getting "accidentally" killed by a falling sign (which is probably closest to the original vein of this subject, but since the person who arranged it is in a position to ensure it's ruled an accident even though there's evidence to the contrary doesn't count as a "perfect" murder).

One of my character did attempt a "perfect revenge" though, involving a collapsing building, which was largely successful.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the book I'm slowly writing, i do technically have to think up some plausible murder strategies. but they ... aren't very realistic, usually.
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've ever been a part of a Vampire The Masquerade LARP you'll find yourself plotting completely unrealistic murder plots quite frequently, or at least I did. The best one involved my Ventrue sending the Toreador Primogen into a sustainable orbit around the Earth in a sealed airtight coffin.

The idea was to not technically kill him (he's a vampire, he doesn't need air or heat to keep existing) but to actually make sure he outlives the rest of kindred-kind by being in an orbit that wouldn't deteriorate for over a million years. More than enough time for Gehenna to happen. My consolation to the player would have been that his vamp character could end up back on Earth post-Gehenna as the only existing vampire in some sort of Buck Rodgers scenario. The game ended before I could do it, though.

Overtly complex murder schemes are the highest form of compliment between players in VtM. That one must read like a goddamned love letter.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrying a gun you legally own is worse than beating your wife. At least in New Jersey.

Quote:
When Ray Rice beat his wife unconscious in an elevator, New Jersey Superior Court Judge Michael Donio and New Jersey District Attorney Jim McClain agreed to put him in a diversion program for 1st-time offenders to keep him out of jail. But when Pennsylvania single mom Shaneen Allen was pulled over for a traffic violation and volunteered to a New Jersey police officer that she was carrying a legally-owned handgun with a Pennsylvania permit, the response of Donis and McClain was to deny her the same opportunity as Rice.

Allen lives in Philadelphia, right across the river from New Jersey. She has a Pennsylvania permit to carry a handgun. She thought it was recognized in New Jersey, just as it is recognized in over 30 other states. She was wrong. When she told the officer that she had the gun, she was arrested.

Now she faces a felony conviction and a mandatory 42 months in prison. Both Donio and McClain have been unwilling to dismiss the charges, or send Allen to a pretrial diversion program. They seem to want to make an example of her.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple's Siri no longer tells you where to stow the corpses of your victims.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
for the book I'm slowly writing, i do technically have to think up some plausible murder strategies. but they ... aren't very realistic, usually.

Drink heavily with the victim in rural oregon, fish off a bridge where the odds are great that the line will snag on a tree somewhere, when the line inevitably snags and they lean out over the bridge to untangle it, grab their feet and tip them over the edge to fall head first to the rocky embankment below.

Buy wild mushrooms from a sketchy vendor, cook dinner for the victim and include several immature amanita caps in their portion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/08/15/340594790/nato-chief-accuses-russia-of-ukraine-incursion

Quote:
Updated at 1:15 p.m. ET.

Ukraine's president says Kiev's artillery destroyed a "significant" part of a Russian armored column that is said to have crossed the border overnight.

President Petro Poroshenko told British Prime Minister David Cameron that Ukrainian forces had hit the column, according to the presidential website. Separately, a Ukrainian military spokesman said the Russian column of armored personnel carriers were tracked as they crossed the border. "Appropriate actions were undertaken and a part of it no longer exists," military spokesman Andriy Lysenko told journalists, according to Reuters.

Earlier, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen says the alliance observed a "Russian incursion" overnight, confirming that Moscow was continuing to supply pro-Moscow separatists with "a continuous flow of weapons and fighters."

"Last night we saw a Russian incursion, a crossing of the Ukrainian border," Rasmussen told reporters after meeting the Danish defense minister, according to Reuters.

"It just confirms the fact that we see a continuous flow of weapons and fighters from Russia into eastern Ukraine and it is a clear demonstration of continued Russian involvement in the destabilization of eastern Ukraine," said.

Russia's Defense Ministry has denied that any of its forces crossed the border.

The remarks came as a Russian convoy purportedly carrying humanitarian aid to eastern Ukraine has been halted near the border as it awaits inspection by officials concerned that it could be a pretext for invasion.

: "The incursion last night isn't seen by Ukraine as a new development or a possible start of an invasion by Russia, Defense Ministry spokesman Leonid Matyukhin said by phone. The vehicles were painted white to camouflage the operation as a peacekeeping mission, he said. The military column, which wasn't part of Russia's convoy delivering humanitarian aid, rolled into insurgent-held territory, Andriy Lysenko, a spokesman for the military, told reporters in Kiev today."

Meanwhile, NPR's Soraya Sarhaddi Nelson, at the eastern border with Russia, says Ukrainian officials reportedly have begun inspecting the convoy at a border crossing that leads to Luhansk, an area where fighting between pro-Russia separatists and Kiev's forces has been ongoing.

Karoun Demirjian, reporting for NPR from Moscow, says the inspections are taking place on the Russian side of the border.

The Associated Press say Moscow has agreed to the procedure and to allow the Red Cross to distribute the aid.

In a statement from the International Committee of the Red Cross on Friday, spokesman Laurent Corbaz said the relief organization would deliver the aid to health centers in the area inside Ukraine where fighting was taking place. He urged both sides to agree quickly to moving the aid to where it's needed.

"We still need assurances from all parties to the conflict that our staff will be allowed to perform their tasks safely and with due respect for our humanitarian principles," he said.

Karoun reports that European diplomatic officials and some journalists in the area first reported that some Russian military vehicles did cross into Ukraine overnight and that two British newspapers said "at least 23 Russian military vehicles" were involved.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick perry is facing felony charges over abuse of power, in that he tried to force a (democratic) official to resign by vetoing funding for her agency (which investigates public corruption).

not sure how happy i really am about this - he was setting up to be a serious contender for president in 2016, and it's always nice when the republican field is full of people who clearly haven't a hope. but they do always seem to come up with new ones, so maybe it will be OK.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the woman Perry didn't want in charge of a public integrity unit, making threats to the police officers who arrested her, and attempting to use her position to get out of what seems to be a legal arrest.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I loathe the republicans, I'm pretty sure if you're convicted of drunk driving you shouldn't get to keep your job as DA, which is why Perry threatened to, and then went through with, the funding veto, because she refused to resign (at least, that's the reasoning he gives).

Not the proper means to do this and Perry is in for a world of hurt if this goes to court and especially if he's convicted (minimum 5 years in the pen, up to a max of 99), but having a DA whose been convicted of a crime while in office is pretty fucking ridiculous too.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TX the DA is elected, which means she serves at the whim of the voters, not the governor. But whether she is fit to serve (which is a good question) is a separate issue from whether the governor can use his constitutional powers to follow through on a threat against a public official. It's not who he threatened, it's that he made a threat and then used his gubernatorial powers to follow through on that threat against an elected official. You can exercise a constitutional power in an illegal way if the motive is to use it to do something or to cause something to happen that is itself illegal. So, if that's found to be coercion (the one count against him) then it's more likely that he'll be found guilty of misuse of authority (the other charge).

Given that it takes some brass to indict a sitting governor, one would hope a special prosecutor wouldn't do it with a weak case. But, sitting governors have vast state resources at their disposal, so we'll have to wait and see.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perry may have state precedent on his side.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be, IANAL and don't play one on the internet. I'm happy to wait and see what the consensus of actual lawyers have to say about it.

EDIT: seems a bunch of liberals agree with you. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 809, 810, 811 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 810 of 823

Jump to: