welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 811, 812, 813 ... 821, 822, 823  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am creeped out by giant rocks surrounded by nothing but space.

I also wonder what will happen if the next pope also wants to retire. Will they all live together as roommates and have wacky pope hijinx, hazing the new popes as they come in?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't make it feel lonely - it might want to come snuggle with Earth! that wouldn't work out well.

...and i can just see a group of ex-popes, sitting around drinking tea (or would it be wine?) and picking apart all the new pope's proclamations and things...
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

Think of it more like a big gray sponge, because that's probably about how dense it is.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
...and i can just see a group of ex-popes, sitting around drinking tea (or would it be wine?) and picking apart all the new pope's proclamations and things...

I think the correct term would be "Popes Emeritii" or something. And is a term that has never yet been needed in the plural. Hell, they only just came up with the singular for Benedict...

Speaking of whom, he does seem to have been remarkably good when it comes to keeping quiet about the activities of his successor. He might be picking apart the proclamations in private, but I doubt we'll ever hear about it if he is...
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

I also wonder what will happen if the next pope also wants to retire. Will they all live together as roommates and have wacky pope hijinx, hazing the new popes as they come in?

there's a giant rock in space that they could all hang out on

"popes in space," we'll call it

also a great idea for a band name

alternate title: mass effect
Jinx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*like*
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Carolina teenager gets arrested and suspended for killing a dinosaur with a gun in a fictional story he wrote.

Derp.

Got to love zero tolerance policies that let idiotic administrators justify idiotic decisions.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at all surprised.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, did you see that headline?
"High school student says he was arrested for killing dinosaur in class assignment"

HE KILLED A DINOSAUR!!!! those things are, like, endangered or something!
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously, though, it sounds like the zero-tolerance + police involvement stuff is just way overboard. NPR had a story about it this AM - the presiding judge from the LA juvenile court system has apparently been pushing the LA unified school district to stop making these sorts of things criminal offenses and instead deal with them by counseling and the like, and he's finally gotten them to make the change.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
South Carolina teenager gets arrested and suspended for killing a dinosaur with a gun in a fictional story he wrote.

Derp.

Got to love zero tolerance policies that let idiotic administrators justify idiotic decisions.

I'm pretty anti-gun and even I was baffled. Like wtf? We have a million movies and tv series and books and comics with people with guns and killing all kinds of whatever but a kid shoots a dinosaur ohnoes -__________-

Whoops I read the comments. They will always be stupider than real life.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US Copyright Office just declared that monkey selfies are public domain because monkeys can't own a copyright.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamnit Sad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagine how the monkey who took that feels - that was better than most human selfies i've seen. i like the way the patent office covers the ground, though:
Quote:
"The Office will not register works produced by nature, animals, or plants. Likewise, the Office cannot register a work purportedly created by divine or supernatural beings, although the Office may register a work where the application or the deposit copy state that the work was inspired by a divine spirit," said the draft report, "Compendium of US Copyright Office Practices, Third Edition." [PDF]

so all those ghostbuster programs better be careful how they set their camera traps - if the ghost takes a selfie, no copyright!

....of course, technically, humans are animals and part of nature...so they may have to revisit that. don't give up on your patents yet, monkey.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Federal judge rules that the Aurora theater shooting was forseeable.

Quote:
The owner of the Aurora movie theater that was the site of a deadly 2012 attack could have reasonably enough foreseen the danger of such an attack to be held liable for it, a federal judge ruled Friday.

Noting "the grim history of mass shootings and mass killings that have occurred in more recent times," U.S. District Court Judge R. Brooke Jackson ruled that Cinemark owner of the Century Aurora 16 theater could have predicted that movie patrons might be targeted for an attack. Jackson's ruling allows 20 lawsuits filed by survivors of the attack or relatives of those killed to proceed toward trial.

"Although theaters had theretofore been spared a mass shooting incident, the patrons of a movie theater are, perhaps even more than students in a school or shoppers in a mall, 'sitting ducks,' " Jackson wrote.

So despite the fact that a mass shooting had never before happened in a movie theater, the owners should have known that it was bound to happen and had appropriate measures in place to prevent it. Likewise they must need to have appropriate measures in place to thwart an attack from the Death Star, despite such a thing having never happened. It seems that anywhere people sit inside a room they're "sitting ducks," apparently. Libraries, restaurants, theaters, houses, offices... pretty much everywhere indoors.

Quote:
Jackson's ruling does not decide the lawsuits' ultimate question: Did Cinemark do enough to try to prevent the shooting? The lawsuits argue Cinemark should have had extra security measures in place to discourage the attack and to stop it more quickly once it began.

Get ready for the militarization of movie theaters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 811, 812, 813 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 812 of 823

Jump to: