welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 813, 814, 815 ... 821, 822, 823  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A definitive answer to the mystery of the slithering rocks of Death Valley.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
A definitive answer to the mystery of the slithering rocks of Death Valley.

That is so freaking cool, oh my god. Like knowing how it happens doesn't make it any less cool either.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the thousands of Russian soldiers fighting in Ukraine are apparently all there on vacation. I guess dad let them borrow the family tanks and APCs for the weekend so they could impress all the ladies.

*edit* Also, at least one of the tanks involved in the fighting has been positively IDed as Russian, not Ukrainian.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just extreme paintballing, wheels

you nerds wouldn't understand, to really get into the proper mindset you kind of have to be equipped by a nuclear power and militarily invade a neighboring country, it's the only way to play the game right
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
members of the Council also feared being labelled as racist because those reports found many of the perpetrators were Asian men.

except, of course, the girls seem to have been asian as well.....so they now seem racist for ignoring their plight.

which i would hope would teach people that someone will complain whatever you do, so you might as well just do what's right....but i have better sense.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Also, the thousands of Russian soldiers fighting in Ukraine are apparently all there on vacation. I guess dad let them borrow the family tanks and APCs for the weekend so they could impress all the ladies.

*edit* Also, at least one of the tanks involved in the fighting has been positively IDed as Russian, not Ukrainian.

clearly one of those adventure-vacations, with a certain amount of risk - because some of those russian soldiers who are definitely not in ukraine are getting killed - but absolutely not in ukraine! or in battle.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked when Russia claimed that captured soldiers must have gotten lost and crossed the border by accident. Totes sorry, yo. Red rover, red rover, send our wayward soldiers back over.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A school district in Maryland found out a middle school teacher published a novel under a pen name about two school shootings set 900 years in the future, and the school board and police went apeshit.

Quote:
CAMBRIDGE, Md.- He's a man with many names, and the books he has written have raised the concerns of the Dorchester County Board of Education and the Dorchester County Sheriff's Office.

Early last week the school board was alerted that one of its eighth grade language arts teachers at Mace's Lane Middle School had several aliases. Police said that under those names, he wrote two fictional books about the largest school shooting in the country's history set in the future. Now, Patrick McLaw is placed on leave.

Dr. K.S. Voltaer is better known by some in Dorchester County as Patrick McLaw, or even Patrick Beale. Not only was he a teacher at Mace's Lane Middle School in Cambridge, but according to Dorchester Sheriff James Phillips, McLaw is also the author of two books: "The Insurrectionist" and its sequel, "Lillith's Heir."

Those books are what caught the attention of police and school board officials in Dorchester County. "The Insurrectionist" is about two school shootings set in the future, the largest in the country's history.

Phillips said McLaw was taken in for an emergency medical evaluation. The sheriff would not disclose where McLaw is now, but he did say that he is not on the Eastern Shore. The same day that McLaw was taken in for an evaluation, police swept Mace's Lane Middle School for bombs and guns, coming up empty.

Dorchester County Superintendent of Schools Dr. Henry Wagner said the Dorchester County Board of Education has taken its own action.

"We have advised our community that the gentleman has been placed on administrative leave, and has been prohibited from entering any Dorchester County public school property," Wagner said.

Unless writing and publishing obvious fiction is against the law and/or school policy, it looks like he was kidnapped and his home was burglarized.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh... wow. You can't even write about fictional shooting anymore, I guess. Crazy.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now, Dogen, some innocent children could have been shot by those books that sicko teacher wrote.

Or something?

Edit: Say, maybe someone should write a book about a world in which authors are locked up for the books they write...
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it interesting that the far-from uncommon practice of writing under a nom-de-plume is now considered "having aliases". guess evan hunter is lucky he's dead - he wrote about all _sorts_ of nasty things under a wide variety of aliases! but at least he stopped teaching school before he did it.

really, some of these school administrators need to learn a little about literature. at least enough to distinguish a mystery (which his books appear to be) from a terrorist training manual.

{edit} oh, how interesting. the author in question seems to be a young black man. i'm sure that has nothing to do with why he was hauled of to an unknown location.

looks like a lot of people are buying his books on amazon to support him. hope he makes a fortune - he'll need it for legal fees.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now, mouse. We mustn't forget all the villains who wrote under pen names throughout history! Who would ever trust someone writing under the alias Publius, for example? And why would anybody want to take on an alias like Richard Bachman unless it was for utter villainy?
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much writing would Shakespeare have gotten done nowadays before he "was taken in for an emergency medical evaluation"? Witchcraft, murder, suicide, cannibalism.. the man was sick!
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marquis De Sade would either be locked up in supermax or a millionaire BDSM book franchise owner.

50 Shades of Sade
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to assume it's at least partly because he's a teacher that his writing about school shootings were singled out... I mean, there aren't people out there combing through libraries to arrest everyone who's ever mentioned a school shooting... right?

George Orwell, man... a nom de-- sorry, "alias" who foretold the future. Maybe. I'm not good at this hyperbole thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 813, 814, 815 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 814 of 823

Jump to: