welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 814, 815, 816 ... 824, 825, 826  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the FBI would do that if they could.

I like best that he is a language arts teacher. I mean, it's so unheard of that someone might express a fearful event that could happen to them might just express those fears in the form of creative writing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Putin is now praising the Ukrainian separatists as 'Militia of Novorossiya'

Novorossiya is a term dating back to Imperial Russia which covers a wide swath of land in the south Ukraine from the eastern border to the Moldavian border.

He was also quoted as saying that Russians and Ukrainians are "pretty much one people", which is fucking bullshit.

I didn't think it was possible for me to hate Putin and Russia much more but really it's the gift that keeps on giving
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it's what - about 22 years since the soviet union collapsed? a bit over 25 since it first started to really fall apart?

you'd think there would still be people around who remembered what it was like living in a soviet satellite state. i guess not criticizing the soviet union extended to not telling the kids about it even after it was gone.

on the other hand, apparently there are russians who still miss stalin. people really don't seem to have very good memories.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is interesting - the white guy who shot a black teenager has been sentenced to 17 years. in a state with a castle doctrine that doesn't require you to retreat.

...would be nice to think that this signals a start of reconsidering the idea that it's ok for anyone to shoot anyone else more or less just because.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woman spray paints some unkind sentiments about the NYPD, and gets charged with a hate crime.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/09/anti-cop-graffiti-apparently-a-felony-hate-crime.html

Quote:
The NYPD does not take making fun of the NYPD lightly. A 36-year-old woman in Brooklyn has been arrested and charged with criminal mischief as a hate crime, plus aggravated harassment, for spray-painting PG-13 punk sentiments on police vehicles and a public school wall in Williamsburg. Her allegedly hateful messages included "Nazis=NYPD" and "a wrongful arrest is a crime." It doesn't get worse!

The New York Post, which has surveillance video of the "blond, blue-eyed vandal," details the suspect's vile beliefs:

Quote:
The woman scrawled other hate messages on and near a school in Williamsburg: “NYPD pick on the harmless” and “NYPD pick on the innocent.”

Thank God this thug is off the streets.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't (or shouldn't) hold up for the same reasons this joke is ok:

What do you call 1,000 lawyers at the bottoms of the sea?

A good start

As long as she didn't single out individuals, she should be fine on the hate crime charges.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.sky.com/story/1331427/scottish-referendum-yes-campaign-takes-lead

The 'Yes' campaign for Scottish independence now has a 2% lead over 'No', according to polls. It started out with 'No' having a 22% lead.

Sept 18 is going to be interesting.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to make my listen-through of Mike Duncan's series on the English Revolution much more interesting.
Echo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One poll suggests a lead for Yes, others still have No ahead by a few points. Still, that's enough for it to make the front pages of most of the newspapers, and have Westminster in a collective panic.

The momentum of swing is very much with the Yes camp at the moment, but it's still pretty much on a knife edge; could go either way.
jwing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's-a some meatball.

(tl;dr: co-worker steals meatball, gets stabbed in return)
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Oaklahoman manages to get her license photo while wearing a colander on her head, because it is her religious headgear.

http://fox4kc.com/2014/09/05/okla-woman-claims-spaghetti-strainer-as-religious-headwear-in-drivers-license-photo/

I hope Oaklahoma doesn't change its religious headgear rules. It irritates me to no end that whenever some loophole to religion related rules is found, the rules are scrapped.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowing oklahoma, they are likely to make the rules stricter. this is the place that has already decided that sharia law can in no way be used in writing good AMERICAN laws.

probably the only religious headgear they will end up allowing is a ball cap with a crucifix on it. and an eagle.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also the state that decided religious monuments should be allowed in front of courthouses, but then freaked out because Satanists wanted to build a monument of their own.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1417612/first-look-for-satanic-statue-to-accompany-ten-commandments-at-oklahoma-capitol-release/

(Looking for the current state on that, I found out about this statue of Satan with an erection: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/09/11/petitions-call-for-return-of-naked-penis-satan-after-vancouver-removes-lewd-statue-from-park/)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, oklahoma is all in favor of religion, as long as it's the _right_ religion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 814, 815, 816 ... 824, 825, 826  Next
Page 815 of 826

Jump to: