Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 976, 977, 978 ... 981, 982, 983  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey telling US to do stuff, or else. I'm pretty sure this will end up well
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those damnable Democrats and their Russia hoax have managed to buy off the Dutch, with the help of their time machine!
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/dutch-intelligence-hacked-video-cameras-in-office-of-russians-who-hacked-dnc/

Quote:
According to a report in the Dutch newspaper de Volkskrant, the General Intelligence and Security Service of the Netherlands (AIVD)—the Netherlands' domestic intelligence service—had hacked into the network of a building at a Russian university in Moscow some time in the summer of 2014. The building housed a group running a hacking campaign now known as "Cozy Bear," one of the "threat groups" that would later target the Democratic National Committee.

[...]

In a speech at the Aspen Forum in March of 2017, NSA Deputy Director Robert Ledgett described the effort to defend the State Department as “hand-to-hand combat,” acknowledging that information on the attack had come from a then-unnamed ally. At that time, unnamed current and former intelligence officials had indicated to The Washington Post that said ally had gained access to both the hackers' computers and the surveillance cameras inside their workspace.

AIVD’s penetration into the Cozy Bear network lasted for more than a year. The information gathered during the surveillance, Modderkolk’s sources suggested, was key to the US intelligence agencies’ attribution of the DNC breach to Russia. And the leaks that have followed, as well as the Trump administration’s recalcitrance in accepting the attribution, have made the Dutch intelligence community a “lot more cautious when it comes to sharing intelligence,” Modderkolk wrote.

That's some Deep State machinations against our dear leader, right there! They started all this back in 2014! Fortunately President Trump knows how to handle this, and now we don't have to worry about getting such fake news intel from our allies anymore.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i think he's pretty well guaranteeing that none of our allies will be clogging up his ideology with actual facts and intelligence and phony stuff like that.

also, that we aren't going to have any allies. which will certainly simplify things.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to an orca imitating human speech. Reactions I've seen range from "d'awww" to "HOLY SHIT THAT'S WHAT NIGHTMARES SOUND LIKE."
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jan/31/orcas-killer-whales-can-imitate-human-speech-research-reveals
I fall on the "d'awww" side m'self.
Taemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following that link, I ended up on a piece about how orcas will ram into Great Whites, turn them over, hold them belly-up for 15 minutes, and then eat their liver. D'awww.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orcas are kinda jerks. intelligent jerks, but jerks nonetheless.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have read that two students were shot non-fatally in an L.A. school the other day.
Police are now saying the shooting was accidental, when a 12-year old girl brought a gun in her backpack and it went off.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/01/582481785/2-students-shot-in-attack-at-los-angeles-middle-school

I'm trying to put my mind into the perspective of someone from a country with actual gun control laws to examine this incident, but it's a pretty daunting challenge.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheels. tell me you aren't trying to say that guns DO shoot people.

'cause that's just crazy talk.
Chronometry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
You may have read that two students were shot non-fatally in an L.A. school the other day.
Police are now saying the shooting was accidental, when a 12-year old girl brought a gun in her backpack and it went off.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/01/582481785/2-students-shot-in-attack-at-los-angeles-middle-school

I'm trying to put my mind into the perspective of someone from a country with actual gun control laws to examine this incident, but it's a pretty daunting challenge.

Englishman here, where gun control is pretty strict. You know that whole kerfuffle you had over banning bump stock mods so that semi-autos were ever-so-slightly less lethal? Semi-autos are banned entirely over here.

It is fucking impossible for me to fathom how the hell this could have happened. A twelve-year-old, carrying a gun in her backpack. It's like Americans are trying to get shot.

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eslwhere in the World, how to monkey wrench a diesel test

Long story.

tl/dr Diesel experimentation on monkeys by German car makers to prove diesel is "clean" can lead to unwanted moral reaction.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mainly an American thing but I was curious what this boards reaction was to the recently released Nunes Memo.
Chronometry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
This is mainly an American thing but I was curious what this boards reaction was to the recently released Nunes Memo.

No clear statements that the FBI, Rosenstein, or Mueller are actually in the wrong. Methinks this is not the silver bullet the centipedes have been touting for the past week.

I'd say your political system is a mess if this is what it's reduced to, but I can't really point fingers, because, y'know, Brexit.

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:

From a foreigner standpoint, the whole drama is not well written enough to be given anything but a cursory glance. Unless something very stupid comes out of it, it'll be 15mins of fame like.
Taemon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam the Eagle wrote:
Strix Varia wrote:

From a foreigner standpoint, the whole drama is not well written enough to be given anything but a cursory glance. Unless something very stupid comes out of it, it'll be 15mins of fame like.

Yeah, I don't really follow it. While I'm absolutely addicted to the USA Drama otherwise.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know. after a while, when the stupid comes so consistently, it's just boring. it's not even worth the effort it takes to point and laugh.

talk about the degradation of the political process.....sorry, world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 976, 977, 978 ... 981, 982, 983  Next
Page 977 of 983

Jump to: