Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 977, 978, 979 ... 981, 982, 983  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nunes memo was complete bullshit but anyone who knew who nunes is did not suspect anything more of it.

nunes was actually part of the transition. his behavior has been conspicuously abnormal ever since he learned some pertinent elements of the FBI investigation into Russian collusion and it is hypothesized rather strongly that Nunes became aware that if he did not use his position in the Republican oversight and ethics committees to stop the Russia investigation, he would be revealed as a conspirator.

He's monumentally inept and corrupt.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as proof: he may have lost congressional immunity if he worked with the white house on that memo.

and as i recall, he pretty much outed himself on his previous collaboration-with-the-white-house deal, (the one where he raced to inform them of something secret before he even told his committee) - so chances are, he has not only put the rope around his own neck, he himself will pull the lever.

the average IQ for congressional republicans may actually turn negative if they keep pulling this nonsense to protect trump.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it gets more and more interesting.

that house intelligence committee just voted UNANIMOUSLY to release the democratic memo. so it's now all on trump to decide whether to release it or not. and he's been busy insulting adam schiff (the ranking democratic member) and calling nunes a hero for "what he has had to endure!"

if he decides not to release it (he has 5 days), the full house could vote in closed door session to overrule him (which means he won't necessarily know which of his own party members are standing up to him).
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge multinational and US-based drug companies are selling unapproved, badly-formulated antiobiotics in India that are contributing to unprecedented, dangerous levels of super-bug evolution in the country, with the potential for those diseases to spread globally.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/02/big-pharma-makes-millions-selling-dodgy-antibiotics-in-india-fueling-superbugs/
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i know. after a while, when the stupid comes so consistently, it's just boring. it's not even worth the effort it takes to point and laugh.

Nah, it was just boring. The "not clapping is treason"-thing is much more fun.

mouse wrote:
talk about the degradation of the political process.....sorry, world.

Yeah, I do blame you. (You Es Aay, not you mouse.) How are you going to repair all the damage?
Eiden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killing the gop
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed: worst cluster of Black Lung disease ever recorded.
This isn't like the old days of coal mining, apparently.

Quote:
Epidemiologists at the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) say they've identified the largest cluster of advanced black lung disease ever reported, a cluster that was first uncovered by NPR 14 months ago.

In a "research letter" published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association, NIOSH confirms 416 cases of Progressive Massive Fibrosis (PMF) or complicated black lung in three clinics in southwestern Virginia from 2013 to 2017.

"This is the largest cluster of Progressive Massive Fibrosis ever reported in the scientific literature," says Scott Laney, a NIOSH epidemiologist involved in the study.

"We've gone from having nearly eradicated PMF in the mid-1990s to the highest concentration of cases that anyone has ever seen," Laney added.

[...]

"When I first implemented this clinic back in 1990, you would see ... five [to] seven... PMF cases" a year, says Ron Carson, who directs Stone Mountain's black lung program.

The clinics now see that many cases every two weeks, he says, and have had 154 new diagnoses of PMF since the fieldwork for the NIOSH study concluded a year ago.

"That's an indication that it's not slowing down," Carson says. "We are seeing something that we haven't seen before."

Laney acknowledges that the full scope of what he calls an epidemic is still unknown.

"Even with this number, which is substantial and unacceptable, it's still an underestimate."

[...]

"Miners are dying at a much younger age," he says, noting that in the 1990s, the clinic's PMF diagnoses typically involved miners in their sixties, seventies and eighties. Now the disease strikes miners in their fifties, forties and even thirties with fewer years mining coal.

"A high proportion" of the miners in the NIOSH study had severely advanced disease and "coal mining tenure of less than 20 years, which are indications of exceptionally severe and rapidly progressive disease," the study says.

The Stone Mountain study follows a NIOSH review of cases at a small clinic in Coal Run Village, Kentucky in 2016. NIOSH researchers confirmed 60 diagnoses of PMF there in 20 months. That alarmed them because NIOSH had earlier reported only 99 cases nationwide in five years.

At the same time, an NPR survey of 11 black lung clinics in Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio identified 962 cases, ten times the original NIOSH count. Since then, NPR's ongoing survey of clinics has counted nearly 1,000 more cases.

The NPR investigation also found that the likely cause of the epidemic is longer work shifts for miners and the mining of thinner coal seams. Massive mining machines must cut rock with coal and the resulting dust contains silica, which is far more toxic than coal dust.

The spike in PMF diagnoses is also due to layoffs and retirements brought on by the decline in coal mining. Miners who put off getting checked for black lung earlier began streaming into clinics, especially if they needed the medical and wage replacement benefits provided by black lung compensation programs.

[...]

"They really need to declare this a public health emergency," says Joe Wolfe, an attorney in Norton, Virginia, who helps miners file claims for black lung compensation.

"If you had 400 cases of E. coli, [NIOSH] would flood the area with technicians and doctors and nurses checking people's health," Wolfe adds. "There are people literally working in the mines right now ... that have complicated black lung that do not have a clue."

NIOSH doesn't have that authority, according to David Weissman, who directs the agency's Respiratory Health Program in Morgantown, West Virginia. Public Health Emergencies are declared by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

The previous administration, which let's keep in mind didn't care about coal miners, was already on this:

Quote:
Coincidentally, new federal regulations that are supposed to limit exposure to dangerous levels of coal and silica dust were fully implemented in 2016, a few months before NPR first reported the PMF epidemic. The Trump administration recently announced a "retrospective study" of the new regulations, which has mine safety advocates concerned, especially given the epidemic of the disease caused by mine dust.

"It would be outrageous for any undercutting of those regulations that puts miners [back] in harm's way and subjects even more of them to this terrible disease," says Joe Main, the former mine safety chief at the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA).

"When we think we know as much as we thought we should know about the disease, the next day [there's] worse information," says Main. "It shows that the depth of the disease is worse than what we knew the day before."

Now that we have someone who really cares about coal minters in office, I bet things can only improve!

Quote:
Main pushed for the tougher mine dust exposure limits. His successor at MSHA is David Zatezalo, a former mining company executive.

"We are not proposing to weaken this rule," Zatezalo tells NPR in a written statement. "We are planning to collect feedback on the rule from stakeholders, which was both a commitment previously made by MSHA, and a directive from President Trump, who strongly supports America's miners."

Zatezalo did not respond to requests for an interview. His agency's formal notice for the "retrospective study" labels it a "deregulatory" action, which implies less regulation.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, gotta get rid of all those job-killing regulations! what would all those doctors and nurses and funeral parlor directors do, if we shackled those poor mining companies and forced them to actually take care of their workers? besides, killing coal miners opens up more coal mining jobs! honestly, wheels - think things through!

Taemon wrote:
mouse wrote:
i know. after a while, when the stupid comes so consistently, it's just boring. it's not even worth the effort it takes to point and laugh.

Nah, it was just boring. The "not clapping is treason"-thing is much more fun.

mouse wrote:

Yeah, I do blame you. (You Es Aay, not you mouse.) How are you going to repair all the damage?

damned if i know. how do you restore the notion that civility (and honesty, and ethics) are good things? i guess ethics you can restore with sufficiently vigorous law enforcement (you may not get people to see the value of ethics, but you might get them to see the value of paying heed to them). we would need to get rid of not only the gop as an organization, but a whole mess of their base, and of course their enablers in places like Faux news and breitbart and the like. what is it that drives this free expression of hate? that seems to be to be the core - we now have the notion that you can be as nasty as you like to someone you don't like. and really, it doesn't even feel that good - i guess it gives you a nice adrenaline rush as you shout in someone's face, but i've actually done a little of that myself, and i really don't feel better afterwards - i'm still angry, and disgusted, and frustrated, and feeling like the whole world is shit. how do you get people to try something else, and discover that maybe things look a little brighter when you try to relate to someone as a fellow being, even if you don't end up converting them? how do you convince them that everything is not a zero-sum game?
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

It's not exactly that for me. Like many people, even if the endless political turdwaffles keep coming from the current US govt, there is worldwide competition for personal attention. As for turmoils, there are : Lava Jato scandal in Brazil, the current crackdown in Maldives, Turkey's battle with Kurd in northen Syria; The incoming games and North Korea diplomacy, and lot of other things more minor things.

But for my dedicated 5 mins of daily 'point and giggle stupidly' it's a tie between Trump and Brexit.

And currently Brexit wins by a large margin. Last week-end's events were just too much. I do hope BBC4 will make a serie out of the whole thing at a later stage.

'Breibart/Fox News' are good, but doesn't beat 'Daily Express' in term of sheer lunacy for now.

That's why I don't care that much about that overblown issue. It's too poory written. Come on 'leaking' a politically charged memo right after a build up about a possible presidential interview by Mueller. It's a "Hey , look at that!" level.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Roman Polanski's Awards for 2018 goes to : Oxfam
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 confirmed dead in high school shooting? Must be February.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2018/02/14/shooting-florida-high-school-number-wounded-unclear/g1XeLDcwWV5HlwWE9JYudN/story.html
Quote:
Len Murray’s 17-year-old son, a junior at the school, sent his parents a chilling text: ‘‘Mom and Dad, there have been shots fired on campus at school. There are police sirens outside. I’m in the auditorium and the doors are locked.’’

A few minutes later, he texted again: ‘‘I’m fine.’’

Murray said he raced to the school only to be stopped by authorities under a highway overpass within view of the school buildings. He said he told his son to save his battery and stop texting, while the boy’s mother told him to turn off his ringer.

Authorities told parents to gather at a nearby hotel to get information.

‘‘I’m scared for the other parents here. You can see the concern in everybody’s faces. Everybody is asking, ‘Have you heard from your child yet?’’’ Murray said.

Murray said he’s had just one thought running through his mind since he got his son’s text: ‘‘All I keep thinking about is when I dropped him off this morning. I usually say, ‘I love you,’ and I didn’t this morning. He’s 17, he’s at that age, and I didn’t say it this morning, and I’m just kicking myself right now over and over and over. Say it early and often, I’m telling you.’’
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this site :http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/ there are , as of Feb 15, 1821 gun related death overall already. What are mere 17, at least, more compared to the Freedom given by the 2nd amendment?

nonsensical rifle addiction indeed.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out the shooter had connections to a local hate group.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-school-shooting-suspect/story?id=53092753

Quote:
The Anti-Defamation League, a civil rights watchdog, told ABC News they have information they believe to be credible linking Nikolas Cruz, the Florida school shooting suspect, to a white supremacist group called Republic of Florida.

The ADL said ROF leader Jordan Jereb told them Cruz was associated with his group. Jereb, who is based in Tallahassee, said Cruz was brought into the group by another member and had participated in one or more ROF training exercises in the Tallahassee area, the ADL said. Law enforcement officials have not confirmed the link.

ROF has mostly young members in north and south Florida and describes itself as a “white civil rights organization fighting for white identitarian politics” and seeks to create a “white ethnostate” in Florida.

Three former schoolmates of Cruz told ABC News that Cruz was part of the group. They claimed he marched with the group frequently and was often seen with Jereb, who also confirmed to ABC News that Cruz was, at least at one point, part of that group.

Republic of Florida leader Jereb cops to it, but says he never instructed Cruz to shoot up a school. It was probably the fault of women and Jews, though:
https://amp.thedailybeast.com/nikolas-cruz-trained-with-florida-white-supremacist-group-leader-says?ref=home&__twitter_impression=true
Quote:
Prior to the shooting, he trained with the Republic of Florida, the group’s captain Jordan Jereb said. The RoF seeks to create a “white ethnostate” in Florida, according to its website, a view that Cruz supposedly shared.

“I don’t know precisely what he believes,” Jereb said. “I know he knew full well he was joining a white separatist paramilitary proto-fascist organization.”

The Anti-Defamation League first reported the link to RoF.

Cruz “seemed like just a normal, disenfranchised, young white man,” Jereb said.

While no motive has been described by police, Jereb speculated that Cruz may have allegedly committed the massacre out of hatred for Jews or women.

“There’s a very real sense of feminism being a cancer. That could’ve played into what he did, but we have female members of RoF,” Jereb said, adding that “we’re not a big fan of Jews. I think there were a lot of Jews at the school that might have been messing with him.”

Jereb said Cruz belonged to a RoF “cell” from Clearwater and drove up with members to Tallahassee to do paramilitary training. RoF was recently operating in Tallahassee and attempting to court new members, according to a local news report from last year. The group posts videos of training montages on the internet with members in fatigues brandishing weapons.

“I’m not trying to glorify it, but he was pretty efficient in what he did,” Jereb said. “He probably used that training to do what he did yesterday. Nobody I know told him to do that, he just freaked out.”

Cruz received at least one of his guns through the white supremacist group, according to Jereb.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/374050-white-supremacist-group-leader-claims-florida-school-shooter-was
Quote:
“He acted on his own behalf of what he just did and he’s solely responsible for what he just did," Jereb told the AP, adding that he thought Cruz had recently had "trouble with a girl," seeming to imply that the attack could have been timed to coincide with Valentine's Day.

I sure do feel safer now that El Presidente has defunded or shifted the priorities of our terrorist monitoring agencies away from domestic terrorists and focused them almost exclusively on militant Jihadists!
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox news must not have this yet, otherwise the Dear Leader wouldn't be focusing on the shooter's mental health. because you don't want to suggest that all those good people in the white supremacy movement are crazy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 977, 978, 979 ... 981, 982, 983  Next
Page 978 of 983

Jump to: