Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 979, 980, 981, 982, 983, 984  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move aside, #TehDonald, today is rest of the world day:

Mainland chinese will now be 'socially' rated The mentioned ban for a catchier title, I'll admit.

Local and petty, in every sense of the word, government employees will now have more power over the citizens. The possibilities of misusing and abusing this power are endless.

Doubleplus ungood, I'd say.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that story brewing up for a couple of weeks.
I have to wonder just what the fuck is going on inside the Chinese government to make both that and removing presidential term limits seem like good ideas.
There has to be something big lurching around just under the veneer, I'm thinking.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd take a very long post to begin explaining how culture is markedly different from western one. TL/DR : Most chineses don't mind having someone they trust being leader for life.

The issue is different. I don't believe for one second they plan to reenact the great leap forward period to cling to power. So it's something off the radar.

My pet theory would be that central commettee need more time to groom the not-yet-offically named successor. Hiding him or her from the lights makes a lot of sense. Second pet theory being there is a small group that fits the bill and each faction is vying for supremacy.

The interim period, from now on until new chairman, is where problems can arise. Taiwan is a red button issue for mainland china, lot of face involved e.g.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday walk in the Gaza strip. End result 15/16 dead and hundred of wounded.

Not going to comment the obvious here, just two side points.

1- How much of this could have been avoided should #tehDonald decided not to move US embassy?
2- Who think a 2 states solution is even possible now?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean Battle Reflects Kapoorly On Tale of Two Cities, Boston Staying Out of It.

(Headline copyright WheelsOfConfusion)
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam the Eagle wrote:
Friday walk in the Gaza strip. End result 15/16 dead and hundred of wounded.

Not going to comment the obvious here, just two side points.

1- How much of this could have been avoided should #tehDonald decided not to move US embassy?
2- Who think a 2 states solution is even possible now?

well, #tehDonald has ensured that the US is no longer seen as even pretending to be neutral in all this, so we are out as any sort of broker. maybe for the best; maybe if we are sidelined, both sides will be able to listen to someone else.

i keep hoping that someone will say: "ok, you want a one-state solution? let's do that! but it has to be all the way: full citizenship rights for everyone living in israel, regardless of religion; people get free access to their own land, etc., etc., etc." because the ultimate bottom line is that a one-state solution ends israel as any sort of a jewish nation - either they do it honestly, in which case they end up as a minority in a few years, or they continue to do it as they have been and turn into a theocratic autocracy with a human rights record that would horrify their ancestors.
but of course no one is dealing with reality; bibi and his friends are really just hoping that all the palestinians disappear, or something.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aremore than one option regarding a single state solution, a swiss like confederation model can be used too. Whatever. I do share your view and expect nothing good with the current political setup

on unrelated news... Trade wars are simple and easy to win?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active shooter at Youtube Headquarters in California.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-youtube-shooter-20180403-story.html
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Active shooter at Youtube Headquarters in California.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-youtube-shooter-20180403-story.html

I didn't read that version; the one I saw noted the shooter's main victim was ID'd as her boyfriend, so would expect this is a domestic dispute gone hella crazy.

edit: CNN report much later notes that while some said the shooter had a relationship with one victim, others note they don't know these things for sure and the shooter may not have had any prior connection with any of the victims.

What's weirding me out is that this shooting was not instigated by a disgruntled, disenfranchised white male.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shooter is confirmed dead by her own hand and has been identified.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4430591-4-3-18-Youtube-Shooting-Updated-003.html

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/04/youtube-shooter-ided-as-woman-angry-at-sites-age-restricted-policies/

Apparently she went on a rampage due to Youtube's age restriction policies and demonetization of her videos.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
The shooter is confirmed dead by her own hand and has been identified.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4430591-4-3-18-Youtube-Shooting-Updated-003.html

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/04/youtube-shooter-ided-as-woman-angry-at-sites-age-restricted-policies/

Apparently she went on a rampage due to Youtube's age restriction policies and demonetization of her videos.

Holy shit I was right!??!?? I mean, I didn't talk about it on here, but immediately upon hearing about a shooter my first reaction was "Probably someone Youtube screwed over with one of their shitty policy changes."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elsewhere in the world :

Former president and leading candidate Lula to be incarcerated

This article is a bit on the short side explanation wise, no biggies.

What makes this relevant is given incoming Brazilian elections, this October, the next leading candidate is even more far right than the putative offspring of Steve Bannon and Marine Le Pen.
Wic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this here yet? https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/30/congress-just-legalized-sex-censorship-what-to-know/

Short version: offering sex for money over the internet is now illegal in America and the service providers can be held responsible. Some service providers have already taken action due the law, such as Microsoft, Reddit, Graigslist etc.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NATO's kind of steadfast ally Turkey is making noises again, but not what I want to talk about today.

See above post about Brazil?, here is a portrait of the likely new incumbent president, rightly nicknamed : Trump of the tropics, a delightful character.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

America is leading the world once again! All those savvy international populations are seeing the glorious successes of Trumpism and decided they want in on that sweet, sweet efficacious governance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 979, 980, 981, 982, 983, 984  Next
Page 980 of 984

Jump to: