welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 830, 831, 832  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Spaghetti Monster adorns courthouse lawn. The statue includes a sign that reads, "May you be touched by its noodley appendage."
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that must be the coolest courthouse lawn in the country. i particularly like that the fsm is next to the statue of liberty.
Pontupo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel the Flying Spaghetti Monster is an effort on the part of non-Christians to try and minimize Christianity and the images that have been placed there. I'll go as far as to say that I think it's an attempt to minimize and ridicule the good intentions of Christians in Cumberland County, but I don't deny their right.

Shocked

Where'd he get that? Is "may you be touched by its noodley appendage" a play off of a common Christian prayer or a passage from the Bible?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying Spaghetti Monsterism was founded specifically to make a point when Kansas public schools faced the issue of Creationism in the science class. The religion started as an effort to point out the blatant religious bigotry inherent in such an outcome, that the focus was on Christianity exclusively. "If you want equal time for religious ideas, you have to include ALL of them, including the Flying Spaghetti Monster."
Naturally, some people take offense to the idea that a levitating linguine was somehow supposed to be equally valid compared to their own religious beliefs. Hence, the quoted sentiment on the part of the Mayor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but he approved it in the first place, and he's willing to let it stay there. that's the main thing.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Even though he personally finds the idea offensive, he recognizes the constitutionally protected right for it to go on display. That's how the system should work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, that makes sense. I did a quick Google search before I asked and was mystified by the sheer number of hits I got, but didn't bother to investigate why I got so many (I assumed that statue was really popular).

I agree, though, that the point is that they let it stand even though some people take offense. It's shows an impressive amount of tolerance for a people (Americans) that are generally not tolerant at all of opposing beliefs.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a hoax, certainly not what it says on the tin, but ...

Man Preggers

... I'm going on the pill, just in case.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edison was late; a French Inventor was the first person to record sound, way back in 1860.
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about that. freaking french have to be the first in everything.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Taylorbell wrote:
Edison was late; a French Inventor was the first person to record sound, way back in 1860.

Dude that's no surprise. Edison is famous for suspiciously getting patents on inventions done by others.

reasonablymad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, the history is interesting. wiki has already been updated and it's clear that there were several mechanisms for recording sound that predate edisons phonograph. this french fellows machine could record but not play back. the only reason we are hearing this "first ever recorded human voice" is because we've used our glittering futuristic technology to pull the sound out of what was originally just a piece of paper with some lines scratched into it. point is, edison didn't steal this one, outright. just made it better.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Darth Vader' spared jail in Jedi church attacks
Man dressed as Darth Vader spared jail for attack on founder of Britain's Jedi church

Associated Press
Last updated: 7:52 p.m., Tuesday, May 13, 2008

HOLYHEAD, Wales -- A man who dressed up as Darth Vader, wearing a garbage bag for a cape, and assaulted the founders of a group calling itself the Jedi church was given a suspended sentence Tuesday.

Arwel Wynne Hughes, 27, attacked Jedi church founder Barney Jones -- aka Master Jonba Hehol -- with a metal crutch, hitting him on the head, prosecutors told Holyhead Magistrates' Court.

He also whacked Jones' 18-year-old cousin, Michael Jones -- known as Master Mormi Hehol -- bruising his thigh in the March 25 incident, prosecutors said.

The two cousins and Barney Jones' brother, Daniel, set up the Church of Jediism, Anglesey order, last year. Jedi is the faith followed by some of the central characters in the "Star Wars" films.

The group, which claims about 30 members, says on its Web site that it uses "insight and knowledge" from the films as "a guide to living a better and more worthwhile life."

"We all love the films and what they stand for. Obviously some people are going to laugh about it," the Wales on Sunday newspaper quoted Barney Jones as saying last month. "But a lot of people do take it seriously."

Unfortunately for Hughes, his March attack was recorded on a video camera that the cousins had set up to film themselves in a light saber battle.

"Darth Vader! Jedis!" Hughes shouted as he approached.

Hughes claimed he couldn't remember the incident, having drunk the better part of a 2 1/2-gallon (10-liter) box of wine beforehand.

"He knows his behavior was wrong and didn't want it to happen but he has no recollection of it," said Hughes' lawyer, Frances Jones.

District Judge Andrew Shaw sentenced Hughes to two months in jail but suspended the sentence for one year. He also ordered Hughes to pay $195 to each of his victims and $117 in court costs.

In the 2001 United Kingdom census, 390,000 -- 0.7 percent of the population -- listed Jedi as their religion.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: duck tape is like the force... Reply with quote

You must check out the priceless use of stock photos on this Jedi Church website.
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

their logo is somewhat disturbing.

or maybe my mind needs to be flushed out with bleach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 830, 831, 832  Next
Page 5 of 832

Jump to: