welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 621, 622, 623 ... 821, 822, 823  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on to a different sort of scandal:
Boy Scouts face release of damaging child sex abuse files
By Chris Francescani | Reuters – 14 hrs ago
Quote:
(Reuters) - The Boy Scouts of America could face a wave of bad publicity as decades of records of confirmed or alleged child molesters within the U.S. organization are expected to be released in coming weeks.

On Sunday, the Los Angeles Times reported the organization failed to report allegations of sex abuse of scouts by adult leaders and volunteers to police in hundreds of cases from 1970 to 1991. In some cases, the Boy Scouts helped the accused "cover their tracks," the paper said. The story was based on a review of 1,600 internal Boy Scouts case files the newspaper said it obtained that detailed accusations against confirmed or alleged child molesters within the youth organization.

About 1,200 "ineligible volunteer" files dating from 1965 to 1985 are set to be publicly released under a June order by the Oregon Supreme Court, including some already reviewed by the newspaper. Those files played a key role in a 2010 civil trial in which an Oregon jury found the Boy Scouts liable in a 1980s pedophile case and ordered the organization to pay nearly $20 million in damages. The files will be released within three to four weeks, said Paul Mones, one of the attorneys representing the plaintiff in the Oregon case.

In the wake of revelations about systemic child sex abuse within the Catholic Church and the recent Penn State sex abuse scandal, the files threaten to damage the reputation of one of America's most trusted institutions. Mones said the allegations revealed in the Oregon case are not necessarily comparable to the Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal. "In the Catholic Church there were overt cover-ups, and I don't think you see a lot of that here with the Boy Scouts," Mones told Reuters on Sunday. The Boy Scouts of America said in a statement on Sunday that while it regrets past incidents where scouts were sexually abused, its current policies require even suspicions of abuse to be reported directly to law enforcement.

"The BSA (has) continuously enhanced its multi-tiered policies and procedures, which now include background checks, comprehensive training programs and safety policies," the statement said. The organization said it has maintained an internal "ineligible volunteer" file since at least 1919 to prevent suspected or confirmed child sex abusers from joining or re-entering its ranks.

Boy Scouts of America officials and attorneys have said the files represent only a fraction of the adults who participate as scout leaders each year. The Boy Scouts have annually counted between 3.5 and 5 million scouts and more than 1 million adult leaders and volunteers among its members since the 1960s, a spokesman for the organization said. The organization is facing more than 50 pending child sexual abuse cases in 18 states, according to Kelly Clark, another plaintiff attorney in the Oregon case.

Mones said he did not expect many new lawsuits to result from the upcoming release of the Scouts' files, predicting that statutes of limitation on sex abuse charges in most U.S. states would prevent victims from successful civil or criminal prosecution of alleged molesters.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Catholic Eagle Scout.

Fuck, I don't even know what to say.

Sad
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing canteen boy will never be the same?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
I'm a Catholic Eagle Scout.

Fuck, I don't even know what to say.

Sad

If you need to talk to someone, I'll try and set you up an appointment with a few good people that can help. =P

Haha, okay, I actually became an Eagle Scout too, though I wasn't Catholic (Non-denominational Christian that never went to a church, say whaaaat?). Apparently I was only half at risk or something like that.

Glad I never saw anything like that in Boy Scouts. Granted, it's not surprising at all, considering it in no way really controls a lot of its leaders more than, "Oh you want to register a troop? Okay." I mean shit, my troop was like 10 people, and it's where I first drank/smoked at like 14 while out hiking through mountains. Ha ha. Though despite all that, I never picked up either as a habit! /yay (Okay drinking at parties or out, but I never get a desire to chug a beer. =D)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Glad I never saw anything like that in Boy Scouts.

Ditto (this goes for church things, too). Or my years on athletic teams as a kid, because apparently coaches are a big source of that, too.

The thing that gets me, though, is that yes, these organizations were important to me, so these scandals hit close to home. What's strange is, they're more like franchises - individual troops and parishes very wildly and don't pay a ton of attention to each other, and for the actual scouts/parishioners the upper level management is mysterious and distant. So, it's always like, well, my group is fine, wtf did those guys do, and WTF are the leaders doing?

The actions of others who have no bearing on you (and on whom you have no bearing) has suddenly diminished the public perception of some formative and dear element of your childhood. It's a strange and unpleasant feeling.
Adyon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. Yeah, well people have to realize that organizations like this really do consist of many individuals. They background check, etc, but frankly that means jack most of the time. The truth of the matter is, you can't start mistrusting everyone, or you have no freedom to let people be individuals. In groups like this, just as my group was kind of unique in that we felt like the rebel group that did whatever we wanted, you have to have the freedom to just have fun. Some people organize and plan and focus on details and turn a Boy Scout group into more of an after school program. My group was a bunch of people who's parents banded together and enjoyed going camping in the mountains and rock climbing.

Hopefully it won't ruin your childhood memories though. You probably shouldn't think of it too much of a reflection on the organization, as it is pretty loosely organized for just those reasons I mentioned. I don't know what I think about he supposed "cover up". I need to read more about it. To me, from what I saw of how loosely its all organized and how little overall leadership actually intervenes with individual groups, I would think that labeling it a giant cover up seems like something to grab headlines.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something that's not murder or sexual assault. Except maybe on your wallet.
Microsoft is jacking up the price for Office 2013 "perpetual licenses," (i.e. when you buy it and run it forever) but will offer subscriptions starting at $99/year. You know, another $50 a year will get you a standard Technet subscription and access to like 85% of everything Microsoft sells including new versions of Windows. And they're offering just Office for fully 2/3rds of that price. I do not think they have thought this through.

I'll just leave this here.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I'll just leave this here.

I love LibreOffice. I converted when I swapped over to Linux (screw paying so much for Windows 7 Ultimate). Now I'm back on a windows machine, but I still use LibreOffice instead of MS Office.

Used to use OpenOffice, but LibreOffice is a little quicker for running on a crappy laptop.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this will be fun. The rage will be awash over Microsoft.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, they're including a subscription to their cloud service in those prices. Whether thats actually value added is left as an exercise for the reader.

Also, just by the sheer number of MS Office licenses I buy? The price increase on their normal, non-subscription licenses isn't going to do a darn thing besides "make Microsoft more money." Even if this pushes some consumers towards alternatives like Open Office, the corporate and government market isn't going anywhere.

Note that all I'm saying is that yes, this will infuriate people, but it's unlikely to hurt their bottom line.

Last edited by CTrees on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
To be fair, they're including a subscription to their cloud service in those prices. Whether thats actually value added is left as an exercise for the reader.

Also, just by the sheer number of MS Office licenses I buy? The price increase on their normal, non-subscription licenses isn't going to do a darn thing besides "make Microsoft more money." Even if this pushes some consumers towards alternatives like Open Office, the corporate and government market isn't going anywhere.

Google Drive (the successor to docs) gives me 10 gigs for free. Also Google has free equivalents of pretty much everything Office has, and then some. Oh and it all links seamlessly with any android device (damn that Nexus tablet is sexy lookin').
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter. Where I work most of the PCs are running XP, IE, and MS Office (and you can't install new software, you run in a guest account). Every time they upgrade Office the IT guys spend weeks telling people (we have like 4,000 employees) how to print documents, or insert a table, or some ugly fucking clipart. And that's just an upgrade to the same software. Now imagine if they switched to new software; they'd never do anything but teach people how to make signs for the never ending staff meetings. The budget on man hours alone probably makes up the difference between MS and free alternatives.
Adyon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically Microsoft knows its base is shrinking, but there are some who will HAVE to have it no matter what? Seems that way. Their approach is now to charge them more to make up profits. Problem with this approach is it only works for a little while until you push more of your base off and someone smart like Google jumps in to be more of a real competitor than OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Then again Microsoft is one of the few that can pull it off at price gouging now and then cutting back when they have real competition.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
It doesn't matter. Where I work most of the PCs are running XP, IE, and MS Office (and you can't install new software, you run in a guest account). Every time they upgrade Office the IT guys spend weeks telling people (we have like 4,000 employees) how to print documents, or insert a table, or some ugly fucking clipart. And that's just an upgrade to the same software. Now imagine if they switched to new software; they'd never do anything but teach people how to make signs for the never ending staff meetings. The budget on man hours alone probably makes up the difference between MS and free alternatives.

But again, you guys are missing the point of the article posted, look at the title:
Quote:
Microsoft pushes home users toward Office subscriptions—whether they like it or not

They're not talking about the business market, they're talking about the people in their houses and on their laptops and what not. Here's what you get:
Quote:
In addition to these enterprise-oriented offerings, the company today unveiled two non-enterprise plans. For $99.99/year, there's Office 365 Home Premium, giving Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, and Access, plus an extra 20 GB of SkyDrive storage (in addition to the 7 GB that you get for free), plus 60 minutes of Skype calls per month. This is licensed on a per-household basis, and one account can be shared by up to 5 users across any mixture of five PCs and Macs.

The other new subscription is the $149.99/year Office 365 Small Business Premium. This adds Lync and InfoPath into the software mix, but changes the cloud services. Instead of SkyDrive and Skype, Small Business Premium users will get a 25 GB mailbox, shared calendaring, 10 GB of shared (company-wide) storage, and another 500 MB of storage per user. This is licensed per user, but that user can install on any combination of PCs and Macs, again up to a total of five systems.

Even for their premium services, Google is still a better bargain:
http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate a lot about Office with a passion, but anyone who thinks OpenOffice, LibreOffice, GDocs, etc. are even remotely comparable to MS Office has likely never used productivity software beyond "I want to write a letter to grandma" or "I want to add a column of numbers to balance my checking account." That's a perfectly valid home use case, but those home use cases are not a significant part of MS's sales base. Even if all users in this set converted to crappier free options in response to this new pricing scheme, I doubt MS would care.

That said, it's not like the home & enterprise markets are truly siloed. For a number of well-hashed reasons, a user is likely to use the same software at work and at home. That relationship tends to be unidirectional. So Dogen's points about replacing enterprise Office use with freeware are peripherally relevant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 621, 622, 623 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 622 of 823

Jump to: