welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 634, 635, 636 ... 806, 807, 808  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
the news article doesn't mention how many illegal aliens have been apprehended as a result of the law.....

I'm sure their record is at least as good as the TSA's record for catching terrorists.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
and in other legal news: unintended consequences of anti-immigration laws

georgia enacted a law that people needing any sort of business license had to prove they were in the country legally - this overloading licensing division (already strained by budget cutbacks which have reduced the number of employees), and so greatly extending the time it takes to get a license. in the case of new nurses, it can take up to three months.

Quote:
“The fact of the matter is that in our agency we’ve taken a streamlined process we’ve had in place and made it more bureaucratic,” said Brian Kemp, the secretary of state.

the news article doesn't mention how many illegal aliens have been apprehended as a result of the law.....

Georgia could also reduce some of their more idiotic licensing requirements to make it easier for people to start new businesses. You need more state-approved experience/training to be a manicurist in Georgia than you do to be an EMT, for example. Requirements like that do more to protect existing businesses (who are the real drivers of these statutes) from new competition than they do to protect consumers from the perils of, say, poor auctioneering.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
You need more state-approved experience/training to be a manicurist in Georgia than you do to be an EMT, for example.

wtf georgia
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Georgia could also reduce some of their more idiotic licensing requirements to make it easier for people to start new businesses. You need more state-approved experience/training to be a manicurist in Georgia than you do to be an EMT, for example. Requirements like that do more to protect existing businesses (who are the real drivers of these statutes) from new competition than they do to protect consumers from the perils of, say, poor auctioneering.

Just look at the taxi business, oh, anywhere in the US. Just unbelievable.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each state has its own issues. Want to be a sign language interpreter in NH? All you have to do is have 2 days of experience/training, pass three exams, and shell out $860 for the state's permission. EMT? 26 days of training, 2 exams, $70.

Confused
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If Obama gets elected, all 7,000 of you are fired," says CEO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez - what a whiner.

Quote:
Even to this day, every dime I earn goes back into this company. Over the past four years I have had to stop building my dream house, cut back on all of my expenses, and take my kids out of private schools simply to keep this company strong and to keep you employed.

so if every dime has always been put back into the company - where did he get the money to build his dream house and send his kids to private school?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article mentions that he has already laid off 5,000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, and also that the real reason he had to give up his dream house was that he ran up $1 billion in business debt. DESPITE PUTTING EVERY PENNY HE HAS INTO THE BUSINESS.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know, generally I'm against mob violence. . . this isn't one of those times.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
jeez - what a whiner.

Quote:
Even to this day, every dime I earn goes back into this company. Over the past four years I have had to stop building my dream house, cut back on all of my expenses, and take my kids out of private schools simply to keep this company strong and to keep you employed.

so if every dime has always been put back into the company - where did he get the money to build his dream house and send his kids to private school?

But apparently his house is still being built.
Quote:
"I have enough money for the rest of my life and enough to leave a good inheritance for our kids." He said the loan for Versailles is paid off and he's resuming construction on the home.

"The elevators are going in and they're preparing to put in the marble."

The deal with Versailles' lenders, he went on, worked out "better than I imagined," since he was allowed to go nine months without making any interest payments on the loan. Jackie has several offers for a new reality TV show "which we're in the process of ranking and evaluating," Siegel said.

He has learned his own painful lesson from the debt crunch. "We cut back, we're lean and mean. That's what the rest of the country has to do."

Yep, every dime he made went right back into that company. Except the dimes that are still going into the third largest house in America.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can they prosecute him for voter intimidation based on that email??
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be nice if someone would try - or at least file a complaint.

it would also be nice if his entire workforce walked out on strike. maybe then he would appreciate that maybe all those little pawns he's threatening maybe do have just a little bit of relevance to the business.
Him

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you may have heard the neo-nazi party in Greece, Golden Dawn, recently established an office in New York in order to attempt to recruit among the Greek diasphora (there is a certain irony in a nazi party attempting to organize among immigrants).
Anonymous responded quickly by taking the GD NY site down the day after the news broke. It has also caused some protest IRL.

And here's a video of the anti-GD meeting held in Astoria two days ago. Inspiring stuff. To me anyway.
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to a InfoWars article, so take it with a grain of salt.

"A leaked U.S. Army document obtained by Wired Magazine characterizes people “frustrated with mainstream ideologies” as potential terrorists, while also framing those who “believe in government conspiracies” as violent radicals."

I thought that "demonizes other freely" was quite hypocritical of a list that marks people as terrorists, but what do I know? According to this list I should be locked up forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 634, 635, 636 ... 806, 807, 808  Next
Page 635 of 808

Jump to: