welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 649, 650, 651 ... 825, 826, 827  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought I would read about this kind of story twice. In the US it happened a few years ago with a dump truck and a school bus. I think every parent has nightmares and fears of this kind of stuff happening.

Train plows into school bus in Egypt, 50 killed

Quote:
CAIRO (Reuters) - Fifty people, mostly children, were killed when a train slammed into a school bus as it crossed the tracks at a rail crossing south of Cairo on Saturday, further inflaming public anger at Egypt's shoddy transport network.

Witnesses said barriers at the crossing were open when the train hit the bus. Transport Minister Mohamed Rashad and the head of the railways authority resigned, and President Mohamed Mursi said those responsible would be held to account. The bus was broken in half by the force of the crash. Blood was spattered on the front of the engine and school bags and text books, some bloodstained, were strewn around.

All but two of the dead were children, aged around four to eight, said a senior security official in Assiut, near the crash site. One woman and the bus driver also died, he said.

Egypt's roads and railways have a poor safety record and Egyptians have long complained that successive governments have failed to enforce even basic safeguards, leading to a string of deadly crashes.

Prime Minister Hisham Kandil travelled to the area to review the situation. But devastated and angry people in one village from where the children had been picked up to travel to school said they would bar entry to any visiting officials. "We won't accept any officials in the village. They only want to come to appear in the media," said Alaa Ahmed from al-Hawatka, where some children killed on the bus came from. They were travelling to a school near Manfalut, about 300 km (190 miles) south of Cairo.

Some victims' families protested at the crash site. Many other Egyptians across the nation were also shocked and angered. "It is so shameful and a big disgrace to this government. All of its members, and not only one minister, should quit. That is what I know would happen in any decent country," said Mona Ahmed, a 60-year-old mother of three, in Cairo.

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/40-egyptian-school-children-killed-crash-report-072706924.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Everyone's saying, "OMG, no more Twinkies!" Except, you know, Hostess is trying to liquidate assets. Those assets include the rights to produce its brands, including Twinkies, Zingers, etc., many of which have enough brand recognition to be highly desirable properties. I could easily see someone like Bimbo grabbing some of these and continue production. We just might have a transient shortage.

Hostess Shuts Down Holsum.

http://www.fox44.com/news/local-workers-frustrated-layoffs-hostess-brands-shutdown
http://www.ksla.com/story/20122483/customers-sad-to-see-twinkies-go

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20121117/NEWS01/211170314/More-than-200-Alexandria-lose-jobs-when-Hostess-bakery-closes
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the loss of jobs is unfortunate, but you live in pa don't you, darq? tastykake is based in philly and twinkies are fucking gross (there's a reason why they're rumored to last forever), give me a butterscotch krimpet any fucking day.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
yes, the loss of jobs is unfortunate, but you live in pa don't you, darq? tastykake is based in philly and twinkies are fucking gross (there's a reason why they're rumored to last forever), give me a butterscotch krimpet any fucking day.

Like I said, I prefer Drake's. Especially Devil Dogs, Ring Dings, Yodels, and most of all Drake's Fruit Pies:

That said, I do like me some butterscotch Krimpets and peanut butter Kandy Kakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long and the short of the whole sad hostess saga is that it was a shit managed bakery chain that produced food that kills you and makes you fat. The country realized this decades ago and Hostess failed to shift their focus into food less likely to kill you and make you fat. A decade ago the employees made concessions totalling about 100 million dollars. They spent that money playing musical chairs with new CEO's earning millions of dollars, each of which cut down distribution and closed plants, while not changing the product that wasn't selling in the first place at all.

Hostess is a checkmark in the column that says the market works. Poorly managed companies selling things people don't really want go out of business.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually like chocolate so I've never had devil dogs, ring dings, or yodels but the pictures look just about like these; plus tastykake pies far superior and healthier.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word. The sad fact is that most of the Hostess brand items (not the subsidiaries like Drake's and Dolly Madison that they bought) were mediocre at best and only got shittier as time went on. SO they had a whole bunch of widely recognized products that were both unhealthy AND unappetizing.

Finn: As far as taste goes, it's subjective, but the Drake's pies are glazed and come two small squares in a package, Tastykakes are not. As far as it being healthy, to me that's moot, it's ALL not healthy, that's why it's up to us to eat it in moderation.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know why we're so concerned about snack food that we completely ignore all the articles about a potential israel/palestine war and a bus load of children getting killed.

Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because clearly all conversation must be about the most horrific thing going on at the time?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) the snack food thing is actually also about 18,000 jobs, so it's not like it's totally a fluff piece

2) It's about cultural icons

3) For as long as I can remember, there has ALWAYS been threat of an Israeli/Palestinian war. That said, it is still abhorrently shitty.

4) Even though I posted the school buss crash, it's still depressing to talk about. The only positive I see is efforts by the Prime Minister to prevent political grandstanding via this tragedy.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and we had this conversation before in 2011/2010/2009/2008/2007/2006/whichever previous mutual Israeli/Palestinian murder of defenseless civilians you want to consider
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just randomly mentioned two other events I had seen posted in this thread, I was mostly just commenting on how concerned we (myself included) all seem to be about our junk food.

Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No seriously, which do you think has more re-readability, a discussion about the death of a cultural icon and the loss of a bunch of jobs at a time the country can ill afford it, with a digression on how it's just a sad example of a mismanaged company that couldn't change with the times? Or perhaps 3 pages of people expressing their shock and sorrow about the latest random senseless tragedy, or yet more violence in the middle east.

And yes i get that classifying it as "yet more violence in the middle east" is callous and lacks a nuanced take on the subject matter, but the subject matter has been done to death. Israel and Palestine have been discussed literally to death, there are no real new conclusions to make on the subject.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I've eaten Twinkies I've always been disappointed. They look so delicious but honestly taste like petrol. Also, the quality was terrible; I got Twinkies that had been missed altogether by the filling machine or had 'leaked' in the package.

Powdered mini donuts are vastly superior.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually we just care about crappy junkfood more than people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 649, 650, 651 ... 825, 826, 827  Next
Page 650 of 827

Jump to: