welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 660, 661, 662 ... 821, 822, 823  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said it was fool proof nor that I agreed with it.

In other news, Patent Racketeering anyone? It's easy to do when you have a couple of thousand shell companies to do it for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently this was all the fault of violent video games. At least according to the NRA's statement. Good to know. Boy must my Steam library being scary...
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 hours into the Apocalypse and not much has changed.

Well maybe it got a little cloudy.

Happy not-so-end-of-the-world people.

On an actual news note, the Port Mann bridge, that cost taxpayers $3.3 billion in Vancouver and has only been open since September, was temporarily closed due to ice falling on vehicles from the wire stays. Over 100 claims at ICBC (Province-run vehicle insurance) for busted windshields, dents, etc.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Climate change: now fucking our wallets.

Quote:
Hanemann says the earth has warmed almost 1 degree Celsius since just before the Industrial Revolution. GDP could permanently drop 2.5% if temperatures increase another 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit), says Michael Livermore, Executive Director at NYU's Institute for Policy Integrity and research scholar at NYU Law School's Environmental Law Center. Using today's GDP of roughly $16 trillion that amounts to a permanent $400 billion decline in GDP. Further warming would erase even more growth.

Climate change affects GDP in multiple ways:

* Heat waves increase energy costs and contribute to droughts, which destroy crops and raise food prices.

* Floods destroy or damage infrastructure, homes and businesses. Repairs can boost growth but lost earnings of businesses and individuals cannot be recovered. If those businesses never reopen, growth will decline even further.

* Heat waves, floods and other effects of extreme weather also create health problems. Paying those increased health care costs often slow personal consumption and business investment.

And, as expected, many in the GOP are still not swayed Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nathan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
So apparently this was all the fault of violent video games. At least according to the NRA's statement. Good to know. Boy must my Steam library being scary...

So, to be clear, the problem isn't people having guns... the problem is games that let people pretend they have guns.

Kids these days, man. Next thing you know, they'll be dancing.
Him

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DND removes report on killing of Canadian soldier by Israeli forces
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
CTrees wrote:

So, to be clear, the problem isn't people having guns... the problem is games that let people pretend they have guns.

Kids these days, man. Next thing you know, they'll be dancing.

Dancing is just a way of acting out sexual fantasies in public. So, clearly kids should do less dancing and have more sex. Every school should have a trained... Wait, never mind.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I've seen a Monty Python skit with that exact plot...
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this happened.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
So, this happened.

My fear of a real life 1984 is somewhat tempered by my relatively high dislike for most of the people associated with the OWS movement.
Bart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's all OK as long the "right people" are victims of stuff like this ?
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool, man, the big banks have never given us a reason to mistrust them. Like laundering money for drug cartels, or predatory lending practices, or discrimination, or illegally repossessing houses against which they don't even have a loan... Nothing to worry about.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart wrote:
So it's all OK as long the "right people" are victims of stuff like this ?

Isn't that how the world has worked since the dawn of time?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone could get behind persecuting juggalos.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
So, this happened.

My fear of a real life 1984 is somewhat tempered by my relatively high dislike for most of the people associated with the OWS movement.

Say what? Who do you speak of when you say "most of the people"? Victim's of overly aggressive police? Victims of predatory scholastic lending practices? People who give a damn that pay rates have effectively gone down over the past twenty years while corporate profit margins are the highest they've been in the history of the US?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 660, 661, 662 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 661 of 823

Jump to: