welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 671, 672, 673 ... 805, 806, 807  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
It's probably a guarantee that those kids were playing video games they shouldn't be i.e. m rated games, amongst being exposed to other sorts of media they shouldn't be exposed to.

I'm not being sarcastic, here, Darq; I'm asking seriously: are you being ironic? Or are there actually video games out there that push the line too far and actively preach the message that violence is an acceptable answer with no real consequences?

Hey, for all I know, there might be. The worst I ever had to deal with while raising my daughter was Grand Theft Auto and those disgusting Saw movies. And she always had a firm enough grasp on the difference between fantasy and reality that she never gave me cause for concern. (Now, her mother, on the other hand,... But I won't go there, today. Razz ) So I only had a little heartburn granting my daughter the freedom to find release in such media, myself.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're shocked that there are video games pushing the bounds of good taste as far as content is concerned, you havent been paying attention for the last decade or so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_(video_game)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not so much the bounds of good taste that shock me--I grew up watching the horror genre devolve from Psycho to Texas Chainsaw Massacre, after all; good taste died a grisly death, long ago--as it is the blurring of the line between fantasy and reality. Can't those kids in that news article tell the difference between holding a game controller and holding a freaking weapon?
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God we live in a fucked up society.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Canopus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure we're desensitized, but it doesn't mean people can still be decent.

Before it's said, yes, I know.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
No, it's not so much the bounds of good taste that shock me--I grew up watching the horror genre devolve from Psycho to Texas Chainsaw Massacre, after all; good taste died a grisly death, long ago--as it is the blurring of the line between fantasy and reality. Can't those kids in that news article tell the difference between holding a game controller and holding a freaking weapon?

Well that's the thing. There are kids out there, who since they were old enough to pick up a controller, have been playing things like Saints Row, GTA, Hitman, Assasain's Creed, Call of Duty, and any number of games that do depict violence as the answer. The problem sounds cliche, but it's basically these kids being left alone for hours and hours unsupervised. Who knows what they are watching on TV or, even worse, the internet. All unsupervised. The one kid did have an older brother (the one he got the gun from) so maybe he was just playing/watching the things his older sibling enjoyed because he wanted to be like him. Maybe the brother baby sat while the parents were at work and did a piss poor job of it. We could speculate endlessly and never know.

My point is that even if kids are exposed to more mature subject matter, they need to be taught "Just because you see someone do it on TV/in a game/online, doesn't mean it's right". I cited media as an influence because the whole affair seems like something out of Hollywood. It seems like the kids were modeling their behavior on something.

To answer your question: no, those kids in the article can't tell the difference, that's why they did it. Lazy parenting in this country has reached crazy epic proportions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sporko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Who knows what they are watching on TV or, even worse, the internet. All unsupervised.

will not address anything in this post except this, which sounds like it came from a middle-aged woman on a morning talk show.

jesus, darq. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As may be, Sporko, but I'm afraid Darq might also have a point; something went horribly wrong with these kids. Attempting premeditated murder is not a normal pre-teen activity. Their actions say that they knew enough to expect people to try to stop them, so why didn't they know that what they were planning was wrongful in the extreme? Something critical is missing from these kids' moral development.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure of that. Kids, especially adolescents, are really bad at recognizing the consequences of their actions and making sound judgments. Whereas we all know someone will try to stop us if we start doing something wrong, it's another matter to come to grips with the reality of killing somebody when you're that age.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
The problem sounds cliche

it sure does.

Darqcyde wrote:
but it's basically these kids being left alone for hours and hours unsupervised. Who knows what they are watching on TV or, even worse, the internet.

Is there a game you've played, a film you've watched or a piece of music you've listened to that you feel would be likely to push your children towards developing a personality disorder?
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends always made me contemplate premeditated murder. Sex and the City... we're talking genocide.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
The problem sounds cliche

it sure does.
Darqcyde wrote:
but it's basically these kids being left alone for hours and hours unsupervised. Who knows what they are watching on TV or, even worse, the internet.

Is there a game you've played, a film you've watched or a piece of music you've listened to that you feel would be likely to push your children towards developing a personality disorder?

Potentially anything not meant for young viewers. About 75% or more of the DVD's I own and many video games I wouldn't let my kids watch or play. For those kids, it's everything they've experienced, especially if we're talking the younger years. These kids were 10 and 11, understanding consequences is something they're barely capable of.

Oh and music: This could be the worst of the bunch. You don't listen to industrial music much, do you? And glorification of violence in Rap? What you're not realizing is how a crucial component of literary theory pertains to this: the message intended by the creator and the message interpreted by the audience may not be the same. A story written by an artist as a catharsis over a violent, tragic event may wind up being misinterpreted by their audience as an advocation condoning same said act.

Bitflipper: What I'm saying is that a single event doesn't produce this. First there needs to be a set up, namely shitty parenting. I'm sure they went through hell. They probably have a ton of problems that have been forming over the years, BUT that doesn't change what they planned. What I'm saying is that what they planned, not necessarily the reasons for it, seem likely to have been heavily influenced by a story intended for adults.

And I don't sound like some middle aged woman. I'm not crying and screaming "OMG violent video games are BAD! EVIL ! SPAWN OF SATAN!!"

Not what I'm saying at all.

What I am saying is that age ratings exist on media (games, movies) to help prevent them from influencing young, impressionable kids. It's our collective way of saying "You need to be XX years old to view/experience the event depicted here." Young kids do not need to see excessive, detailed, realistic depictions of violence and aggression, ESPECIALLY if they are subjected to these depictions on a regular basis, as in hours a day, almost every day a week, like how many kids play video games.

TL;DR Material intended for mature audiences, when not properly contextualized, can have dire consequences upon young children.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Bitflipper: What I'm saying is that a single event doesn't produce this. First there needs to be a set up, namely shitty parenting. I'm sure they went through hell. They probably have a ton of problems that have been forming over the years, BUT that doesn't change what they planned. What I'm saying is that what they planned, not necessarily the reasons for it, seem likely to have been heavily influenced by a story intended for adults.

Oh, I get what you're saying, and I'm not even disagreeing. Whatever their reasons, these kids will have to face the consequences of their choices. Their parents probably should be held at least partly culpable, too (let's see what evidence gets presented at the trials, though, before we get too gung-ho about stringing up the parents. Who knows? It may just be that the parents are merely fucking idiots instead of abusive monsters.) As a society, we cannot turn our heads away from situations as threateningly dangerous as this, and we cannot let it slide without consequences to show that we will not tolerate scenarios such as this. That those who planned it are children does not ameliorate it; it makes it worse and even less tolerable.

I'm obsessed with understanding why, though, because the youth of the miscreants coupled with the cold ruthlessness of their planning shocks me. I want to know how this came to be.

Darqcyde wrote:
And I don't sound like some middle aged woman. I'm not crying and screaming "OMG violent video games are BAD! EVIL ! SPAWN OF SATAN!!"

Yeah, but surely you knew to expect some sort of knee-jerk reaction along those lines the minute you said "video games," even from a crowd such as this that actually takes the exchange of ideas and viewpoints seriously and devotes some good thought and effort to its rebuttals? Not saying you don't have a point worth considering, but, let's face it, that's kind of like waving fresh, raw chicken under a wolverine's nose, yeah?
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
What you're not realizing is how a crucial component of literary theory pertains to this: the message intended by the creator and the message interpreted by the audience may not be the same.

ahhhhhhhhhhh
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey darq isn't this the same thing you said in that discussion about parents taking their children to restaurants because when you were a baby you caught polio in a strip club?

Did you suffer at the hands of a critical piece of literary theory as a child?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 671, 672, 673 ... 805, 806, 807  Next
Page 672 of 807

Jump to: