welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 720, 721, 722 ... 821, 822, 823  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
another entry in the annals of "what the fuck am i supposed to do about this" news: cancer risk increases with height.

Wow, and I thought being tall was a good thing. Apparently I was horribly, horribly wrong.

Also, Re: The Monarchy, why don't we just agree to disagree?
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First public school seized by parents set to open.

It'll be interesting to see if the charter system can function with poorer students and/or students who aren't native English speakers.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes religious fundamentalists to abuse this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't even need fundamentalists to ruin it, just the common misconception that teachers are chronically overpaid and lazy because they only work 9 months out of the year.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nearly everywhere parents have organized under the empowerment law in California, acrimony and outrage have followed.

The first attempt at a takeover, at a school in Compton, Calif., failed after a prolonged court battle. Elsewhere, parents have split into dissenting factions, circulated dueling petitions, filed lawsuits, turned school board meetings into political rallies and publicly called rival parents liars and thugs. Vulgar graffiti has been scrawled on school property. Teachers have demanded reassignment. Moms have yanked their children out of neighborhood schools where they no longer feel welcome.

Yeah, that's about what I would expect to happen. Activist parents are probably more likely to have strong beliefs, leading to conflict with parents who hold opposing beliefs.

From wiki:
Quote:
California's trigger law applies to schools with an Academic Performance Index score of below 800. Parents of children attending these schools may petition for one or more of four options:
Convert the school into a charter
Replace the old staff and make budget decisions
Dismiss the principal
Dissolve the school and relocate the students to other schools.

If at least half of the school's parents sign a petition, the school district must implement the policy they choose. The aggregate group of parents whose children are likely to attend a school in the future have, independently, the same power.

So let's say your parent group is totally anti-evolution, or pro-organic-food-only, or whatever... and is made up of a random sample of stay at home parents, construction forepeople, retail sales associates, bankers, maybe a dentist, a bakery owner... and you give them a multi-million dollar budget. How many of them would know what to do with it? I know I wouldn't. How do you go about assessing the cost bringing in a new curriculum? I bet the principal you just fired knew. Shit. Well, I guess we need to turn this over to the professionals at the local charter school company.

Oh look, Parent Revolution was started by a charter school company.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is why I don't get why some of you seem to think bi-partisanship is desirable.

Anti-Protest Law Passes Nearly Unanimously And Is Signed By The President

Also speaking of charter schools...
Why the Racist History of the Charter School Movement Is Never Discussed
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradley Manning was found guilty of twenty out of the twenty-two charges he faced, but not aiding the enemy (the most important charge). Still awaiting sentencing, which may come today.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manning should not be put in jail for longer than a decade. And his sentencing should account for his current length of detainment.
Him

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYPD Police Chief gets stopped by plainclothes officers under the suspicion of...driving while black. Clearly.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
And this is why I don't get why some of you seem to think bi-partisanship is desirable.

Anti-Protest Law Passes Nearly Unanimously And Is Signed By The President

Um, isn't that old? Also, If what I can find is correct, the new bill just updated a law which had already been in place for 40 years, made the law more specific (no protesting @ the White House) and actually the major change is on the burden of proof it presents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
NYPD Police Chief gets stopped by plainclothes officers under the suspicion of...driving while black. Clearly.

C'mon now, he was smoking crack ala Marion Barry or waiting for hookers ala Charlie Sheen and the two knuckleheads were looking to shakedown some rich colored folk. I'm calling them all out on being pieces of shit, basically because both sides seem like their leaving stuff out. Our system is so broken I no longer assume any sort of increased moral standard in an individual's decisions simply because they are 'a police officer', which is pretty fucked up since our system is based upon that very assumption i.e. those who uphold and enforce moral standards are people who believe and practice a higher standard of morals.

Anymore and the majority of time all you'll hear from a cop is a sentiment along the lines of "it's just like any other job -- it's a paycheck."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really wish our british 'festers hadn't disappeared, because i really want someone to tell me what i am missing about the whole caroline criado-perez thing. i mean, i _get_ that there are idiots who make rape threats any time a woman pops her head up, but jane austen seems to have really energized them. and i don't get what is so extremely offensive about having jane austen on a bill. is it just because criado-perez actually dared speak up about putting a female other than the queen on a bill? because apparently there is a non-queen woman on a bill now. or does jane austen have some deep dark misandrist history known only to britons?
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

Duh, read into NYPD's stop and frisk program and how it racially profiles minorities, then read how the police commissioner says it actually doesn't racially profile enough, then read how he's a candidate for Homeland Security secretary.

Edit: It was Mayor Bloomberg who says the NYPD doesn't racially profile enough, not Ray Kelly.

Quote:
During his weekly interview with WOR’s John Gambling, Bloomberg argued that two bills designed to prevent racial profiling would put the lives of NYPD officers at risk.

“These are bad bills,” the mayor opined. “The racial profiling bill is just so unworkable. Nobody racially profiles.”

Bloomberg added that “one newspaper and one news service, they just keep saying, ‘Oh it’s a disproportionate percentage of a particular ethnic group’” being targeted by the city’s stop-and-frisk policies.

“That may be, but it’s not a disproportionate percentage of those who witnesses and victims describe as committing the murder,” he said. “In that case, incidentally, I think we disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little.”
Him

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Him wrote:

C'mon now, he was smoking crack ala Marion Barry or waiting for hookers ala Charlie Sheen and the two knuckleheads were looking to shakedown some rich colored folk. I'm calling them all out on being pieces of shit, basically because both sides seem like their leaving stuff out. Our system is so broken I no longer assume any sort of increased moral standard in an individual's decisions simply because they are 'a police officer', which is pretty fucked up since our system is based upon that very assumption i.e. those who uphold and enforce moral standards are people who believe and practice a higher standard of morals.

Anymore and the majority of time all you'll hear from a cop is a sentiment along the lines of "it's just like any other job -- it's a paycheck."
While I appreciate your sentiment about cops you seem to have gotten this a bit twisted...there's no reason to believe Chief Douglas Zeigler is guilty of anything other than driving while black. That's kind of how racial profiling works. Zeigler was considered suspect solely based on his ethnicity.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowden got asylum in Russia, at least for the next year, or whenever Putin or the Kremlin (did I just say the same thing twice?) decide to change their minds.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/01/edward-snowden-leaves-moscow-airport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 720, 721, 722 ... 821, 822, 823  Next
Page 721 of 823

Jump to: