welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 664, 665, 666 ... 810, 811, 812  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i heard someone was trying to start a fight here
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Because free will is totally a thing we have control over, as opposed to the existence, number, and access to firearms, which we have no control over at all.

Correct, you have no control over the latter at all.

Canopus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little, but not too perplexed, by how the militarism in Finland rubbed off onto Sweden. Rubbed.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunting?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Because free will is totally a thing we have control over, as opposed to the existence, number, and access to firearms, which we have no control over at all.

Great use of decade old data fuckwit

Again...how have you not drowned while staring up at the sky wondering where the water was coming from?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
This is interesting: Dennis Kucinich Joining Fox News
The friend who shared it's take on it: "It's shocking at first, until it sinks in to me that it's actually pretty apt in how it fits with his role he's already played (full bias disclosure: working on his campaign was the experience that broke me away from the Dems forever). Token progressive giving left cover to the totally morally bankrupt Democratic Party becomes token progressive giving left cover to the totally morally bankrupt Fox News."

What's your party, Him?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, serious question. Feinstein's proposed gun ban would exempt government officials (such as herself, actually). Why? I can't seem to come up with a justification for that. I mean, what reason is there for a legislator to be able to own an AR-15 that wouldn't apply at least as well to me?

Also, retired police are exempted, but retired military aren't. That certainly can't be justified by superior training, so... why? Again, serious question, because I really don't understand.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not asking to be convinced. There are a lot of political arguments for which I can understand the inherent logic, even if I don't agree (see: extreme copyright extensions-I understand the justifications used, but I reject them based on other points). For this, I just can't even see the reasoning behind it, and that bothers me.

Last edited by CTrees on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that working politically to relieve some opposition from powerful groups. Then after a while, when the law is no longer questioned, someone could point out these issues and fix them...
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Feinstein's proposed gun ban would exempt government officials (such as herself, actually). Why? I can't seem to come up with a justification for that. I mean, what reason is there for a legislator to be able to own an AR-15 that wouldn't apply at least as well to me?

Oh the conspiracy theorists are gonna have a field day with that one.

EDIT: looking at the list she proposes ( http://dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Feinstein-Weapons-Ban-e1359047805173.jpg )

I can say this won't work out well. Canada has laws that ban all variants of "x" firearm, but they just don't work. Some variants slip through the cracks. the Skorpion pistol is banned in Canada, but is imported and legally sold as a short-barreled rifle instead due to a folding wire stock. And other variants that are nothing like the original get banned. The Armi Jager AP80 is, like most other Armi AP rifles, meant to look like a different firearm, in this case an AK47. The RCMP took that as meaning that it IS an AK47, so they sent out letters to everyone who owned one (this was *just* before the long gun registry was scrapped) saying to hand it in, without compensation, or face jail time for having a prohibited weapon. The AP80 is a .22 rifle. The method by which an AK47 works (gas operated) relies on using excess gas from the round to cycle the action, moving the bolt and ejecting the empty brass before moving forward again. A .22 can't generate enough gas to cycle an AK-style action, not to mention the lead most .22 calibre rounds are made of (vs FMJ for 7.62) would clog it quickly. The AP80 doesn't share any parts with an AK, doesn't work like an AK, doesn't take AK47 magazine or even use the same ammo... but it's prohib, because it's a "variant".

Wording like that leaves it up to legislators and police officers to decide if something is or isn't legal.

EDIT2: Really? The Keltec Sub2000? And the Spas 12? The Sub2000 is a little 9mm carbine that folds in half that's for campers and backpackers. It's not a military powerhouse. And the Spas 12? There are literally *tons* of semi-automatic shotguns with comparable magazine sizes. What makes the Spas 12 so special? The only thing I can think of is that if the gas operation stops working it can be switched to a pump action, but there are other shotguns that can do that that aren't on that list.

Quickly ban all the guns from Call of Duty that'll stop 'em.

Last edited by fritterdonut on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't even going to address the list, because it's fucked. The mini-14 tactical is banned by name, but all other variants (regular, mini-6.8, mini-30) are allowed (they don't meet the "banned by features" requirements in stock configuration), despite being the exact same weapon-the mini-30 is even a *much* more powerful variation. The Beretta Cx4 Storm does not meet the "banned features" requirements, but is banned by name anyway - the actual weapon? It's literally just a long-barrel 92F with a stock, something no one is saying we should ban (it even has the same magazines as the pistol, and yes, there are 10rd ones available because of California). It's even still chambered for pistol cartridges. The SPAS-12 is listed despite not being imported or even *manufactured* for over a decade (and thus absolutely being grandfathered and exempt from the bill).

I've only spent a lot of time looking throught the banned list, but I've heard much of the "exempt despite having too many scary bits" list is equally inane, populated largely by things included so as to not piss off hunters.

And.. that's me controlling the rant, which is why I was limiting my question to only the government officials and retired police exemptions.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it amazes me that people ban "x" gun for being dangerous, when gun "y" uses the same ammo, has the same firing speed, and is the same size.

Most of the shotguns on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_shotgun

Are just as dangerous as the Spas-12, and guess what? Some are even made better than the Spas-12, because the Spas wasn't exactly the worlds highest quality. The Benelli 11-87, for example, is much, much nicer. Or even the High-Standard 10.

Bottom line: If it shoots the same ammo, at the same speed, with the same size of firearm, it may as well be the same damn gun.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Great use of decade old data fuckwit

Got anything more recent that confirms your idiocy? Are all the unregistered guns cited in that report now either destroyed or safely in the hands of government Top Men? I suspect not, fuckwit.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Bumping to 666.

Transport Ahead.
Finance can't stop it.
Laws and deities can't stop it.
Advancements in technology proceed to push ahead.
Chronological barriers caused by tradition can't stop it.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikewee777 wrote:
^^^ Bumping to 666.

I hope the great technological convergence doesn't involve anything weird, like butt stuff. That's gross, man. This is a family forum. Our local priests and sports coaches do what they enjoy in private behind closed doors. Don't ask about it, don't talk about it. In fact, visit a confessional so we can deal with your obsession with snitching.

I am nostalgic about the good old days when bar-codes were used instead of RF-ID tags. Shopping carts were so much easier for homeless people to steal and reporting illegal activity was limited to wired phones only.
Crime doesn't pay.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mikewee777"]
Mikewee777 wrote:
^^^ Bumping to 666.

Speaking of that, I think our sleeplessness is what keeps us from making good decisions. Also being a whistle-blower still doesn't pay as well as being silent. It's probably why everyone sees nonsense and doesn't talk about it because of fear that it will offend the great elders.
-Soda: $0.50

-Hotdog Combo (Hotdog comes with chips and soda): $3.00
90% of the people just got combo. I noticed the prices one day and asked if it was a typo, the manager said "the prices have been like that for years and if they want to spend more, don't remind them about how stupid they are". He's correct. It just gets the customer angry and that means that they will waste their time making you feel bad for pointing it out to them.
for a gym membership that they forgot they had. I guess it made them feel better about being so fat because they were "doing something about it".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 664, 665, 666 ... 810, 811, 812  Next
Page 665 of 812

Jump to: