welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the reign of president trump thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: the reign of president trump thread Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY
Draculaura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this continues to not be a dream
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may it be exceedingly short and easily reversed
Rune

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually more . . . diplomatic . . . with people in my real life than I am with the moral-intellectual bottom feeders that latch on here from time to time, but I fear we are witnessing the end of an epoch. My chill is now zill. There will not be a "but I'm not a bigot!" Trump supporter within fifty miles of me (metaphorically, maybe, the internet is a thing) that does not feel the full weight of the inexorable realization of exactly what they have wrought.

Bring. It. ON.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaand now there's a riot in Portland, because some fuckers don't know how to protest properly.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this article on how Obama could appoint a Supreme Court hustice without any help from Congress.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/obama-can-appoint-merrick-garland-to-the-supreme-court-if-the-senate-does-nothing/2016/04/08/4a696700-fcf1-11e5-886f-a037dba38301_story.html

Any idea if that's true? I would feel so significantly better about life if it were, but I can't afford to put hope in pipe dreams right now.

stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a petition for Obama to appoint Merrick immediately.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/we-people-ask-president-obama-immediately-appoint-merrick-garland-supreme-court

Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The logic is sound, but I suspect Obama would have tried it already if he thought it would work (Constitutional scholar and all).
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, it would be an eight-judge court deciding whether his appointment was legal, so what happens in a tie?
Vixine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the stocks, despite briefly going down during the actual electioning itself, have actually risen to a record high. Please continue to defy every bit of logic and make things better when there is no reason they should.
Rothide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Aaaand now there's a riot in Portland, because some fuckers don't know how to protest properly.

I thought since these idiots are on your side and wanting fucking mob rule and subversion of the voting system you'd be all for them smashing cars and stuff.

I mean their doing it to save america from trump, isn't anything valid to fight off this legally elected president and house and senate.

Seriously dudes, you said these were the rational people that voted for the correct candidate, if we all are racist, sexist and homophobic, I guess those are the traits of a civilized world.
Rothide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vixine wrote:
So the stocks, despite briefly going down during the actual electioning itself, have actually risen to a record high. Please continue to defy every bit of logic and make things better when there is no reason they should.

We will, you're welcome.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a very dear and old friend of mine wrote:
Let me tell you about the last time I was in an abortion clinic.

It was 2009. My wife and I were living in New York City with our daughter and we were VERY excited to be expecting baby #2. So, when we went to our fancy midwives' office on 59th street for our 17 week appointment we already knew what to expect. We were going to get to hear the heartbeat!

We sat in that tiny Manhattan office, with all the smiling baby photos lining the walls and heard... nothing.

"Is everything ok?" I asked. The midwife flashed me a look I didn't quite understand. She told us to go to the hospital to get an ultrasound. Ok, I thought. That sounds prudent. We called the hospital and got an appointment for later that day. We had some time to kill, so we went to Barnes and Noble. I got a book on blogging. It was 2009.

We went to our appointment still assuming that we were in for good news. Not only would we get to hear the heartbeat, we'd get a sneak peak at the baby three weeks early! We sat in that tiny exam room with nothing on the walls. The technician, a women in her early 20s, pressed the cold wand to my wife's stomach and up popped the picture on the big screen. Completely still. So very still.

The technician excused herself and left the room. What was happening? a few minutes later she returned with a doctor. I remember he was eating a bagel. He pressed the cold wand back on my wife's stomach and told us that the fetus was what they call "no longer viable." The technician shoved a box of kleenex in my hand and said we could take all the time we needed. A millisecond later we were all alone with no professional support or guidance.

To say we didn't know what to do is a bit of an understatement. We called and left a message for our midwives. A few minutes later as we were leaving we got a call back. We found the quietest place we could find in Midtown: the swimsuit section of an American Apparel. They told us our options. They couldn't perform a dilation and curettage (D&C) for us in their office. And for whatever bureaucratic reason we couldn't get it done at our hospital. We could go home and let nature take its course. It could be a few hours. It could be weeks. There could be infection or hemorrhaging due to my wife's reproductive history. (No thanks!) Our other option was to make an appointment at an abortion clinic and get what is essentially a second trimester abortion.

We made the soonest appointment we could make which wasn't until the following day. We went home. We arranged for childcare for our daughter. We took off another day of work. And we went to bed. Now, I don't know what it's like to sleep knowing you have a non-viable fetus in your body, but even for my tough-as-nails wife it involved a lot of sobbing. Not the best night's sleep.

The next day we arrived at the abortion clinic early. It was in an unmarked office not far from trump tower. When we arrived it was already overflowing with people. People sat wherever they could. The floor. On tables. I don't remember how long we waited, but remember watching Big Daddy twice. Why the staff had chosen that movie to play on the waiting room TV I do not know. Perhaps it was a secret last-ditch pro-life plot. "See? If Adam Sandler can be a parent so can you!"

After approximately two millennia my wife got called back to the business end of the clinic. I didn't get to go back but I know while she was back there she was given "options counseling." She was asked it she was "sure." Pretty odd, I know, but they don't have a special script for non-viable fetuses. And the kicker? They preformed a second ultrasound! "Um, you know there isn't a heartbeat." "I'm aware. Like I've already said, that's why I'm here."

She finally had "the procedure." The exact same procedure they use for second term abortions. The same procedure millions of women have had, including many of the women in your life. At the end of the day it was safe and our providers were kind. Overworked and understaffed, but kind. Keep in mind this story takes place in the deep red state of Manhattan during Obama's first term.

Can you imagine the horseshit we would have had to go through in Indiana?
After the procedure we went home to be with our daughter. Less than a year later we had our son. But to this day I think about that experience often. I know a lot of you have similar stories, but with diffrent details. Maybe you talked to your midwives about your miscarriage in the bathroom at a PF Chang's. That is your business and I respect your privacy. That sounds like a pretty great story, but I respect your privacy!

Obviously the outcome of this weeks election changes all of this. The procedure we had to remove a still-born fetus is the same procedure our president elect and vice-president elect want to ban. And they may not be successful in their crusade, but they will at the very least make it even less pleasant than it already is. With Republicans controlling the House, Senate and the Whitehouse our most basic reproductive rights are going to come under savage attack in the very near future. I honestly don't know what to do about it. But maybe you'll remember this story the next time you vote (in two years! Get excited!)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rothide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to say this, but what your friend experience was NOT an abortion, it is a MISSCAIRRAGE. 100% different from what trump wants to ban, at 9 or 8 if there is some reason a healthy baby could not be born naturally, they have a thing called "C-sections" I was born by one because my mother could not naturally go into labor for some reason.

What Trump wants to do, is to ban partially birth the head, then cut the kneck of the infant. After the head is passed, the danger to the mother is GONE. Because the head is the largest part of the baby. And like I said, if for some reason the mother cannot PHYSICALLY pass the baby, there is C-sections.

So please tell your friend to stop making people afraid, if the baby is dead, it's fucking dead, and getting rid of a body is different then getting rid of a viable life.

And yes Im being harsh, I usually do that when people are blatantly lying about the procedure that was being done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: