welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World of Science (square root of -1): Supervision for all!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: World of Science (square root of -1): Supervision for all! Reply with quote

http://www.businessinsider.com/ocumetics-bionic-lens-perfect-vision-at-every-age-2015-5

Quote:
According to Ocumetics’ website, the Bionic Lens is implanted in your eye during an eight-minute “painless procedure.” The operation is reportedly similar to cataract surgery, where the lens inside your eye is removed and replaced with an artificial lens. It’s an outpatient procedure that doesn’t require any anesthesia or an overnight stay.

The bionic lens is actually folded like a taco and placed in the eye using a syringe filled with a saline solution. Then, in about 10 seconds, the bionic lens unravels over your eye by itself and your sight is “immediately corrected.”

“If you can just barely see the clock at 10 feet, when you get the Bionic Lens, you can see the clock at 30 feet away,” Webb said.

Webb says his bionic lenses give you vision that’s three times better than 20/20 vision, as measured by the Snellen chart for visual acuity.

Sign me up now.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang...that would be pretty sweet.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. I'd want to know how it works, personally. And what sort of problems it can correct - could be great for those outside the current treatable range of the various laser eye surgeries.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Hmmmm. I'd want to know how it works, personally. And what sort of problems it can correct - could be great for those outside the current treatable range of the various laser eye surgeries.

I suspect it would work like any other lens, in that it would focus light onto the retina. If it does so in a way that's superior to one's natural lenses, well...

I know from personal experience that people with nystagmus can't get LASIK -- too much of a risk of eye movement during the procedure, which would be, hmm, not good. But replacing the lens would work at least as well as wearing contact lenses do, only I would think it would be better in that they don't get abraded from being handled on a routine basis, get cloudy from exposure to dust and such, etc.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty sweet. I'll take two!
Pineapple

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a lot of hype for something that isn't all that much better than/different from what we already have and hasn't been tested at all

anywho, installing them is precisely the same as cataract surgery so there are already loads of doctors who have practice doing the procedure, which means even early adopters will have access to highly experienced surgeons

overcoming even one of the shortcomings of existing lenses is good, of course
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/PhakicIntraocularLenses/ucm059239.htm

There are some idiots in the comments section being all "but won't three times better vision be sensory overload" as though switching out a lens does anything to the retina or optic nerve? haha
I mean, c'mon, people who currently have 20/10 vision see things just the same as the average person, just slightly sharper.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late, but supervision is already a word

We might need to spider-man it
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bionic-lenses-make-eyesight-3-times-better-20-20-could-eradicate-glasses-good-1502015

Quote:
The product of eight years of research and $3m (£1.94m) of investment, the Bionic Lens features the patented Ocumetics camera optics system. A tiny bio-mechanical camera is able to shift focus from a close range object to optical infinity – as far as the eye can see – much faster than the human brain is able to.

Ocumetics Technology Corp claims the camera technology in the lens is able to produce three-dimensional visual landscapes in optical images that have been naturally formatted and with no time delay, eyestrain or headache.

By being able to offer 3D images directly to the eye, Webb hopes that the technology can be used for other applications, such as to create headsets that could replace mobile devices, TVs and computer display monitors.

Definitely more high-tech than existing replacement lenses.
Echo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely more high-tech.

The lens is about as protected as it can get... and yet I'd still worry about operational lifetime. As with laser eye surgery, this is intended as a lifetime thing, so the more people get it and the longer they go without problems, the more this becomes not just a good option but a reliable one.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:
Definitely more high-tech.

The lens is about as protected as it can get... and yet I'd still worry about operational lifetime. As with laser eye surgery, this is intended as a lifetime thing, so the more people get it and the longer they go without problems, the more this becomes not just a good option but a reliable one.

Agreed, although I imagine they'll have no shortage of people willing to risk a short operational lifetime. I know I'd camp out at the eye doctor's for a pair if they would help correct my vision. Wink I figure it's not a very invasive procedure and if they turn out to be more trouble than they're worth I would fall back to traditional replacement lenses.
jwing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing holding me back on eye surgery is if it fails for whatever reason, I cannot wear contacts ever again. My vision is so bad that glasses milled to my required strength would be so heavy my nose would be bruised.
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am vacillating wildly between, "Better eyesight forever, YAY!" and, "Needles on my eyeballs, NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE."
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwing wrote:
The main thing holding me back on eye surgery is if it fails for whatever reason, I cannot wear contacts ever again. My vision is so bad that glasses milled to my required strength would be so heavy my nose would be bruised.

I mean you get kinda used to the constant red mark? You might be talking even worse than mine, though. I'm at -6.25 and it sucks but I still usually wear glasses because contacts and 12 hour days don't work so good for me. They usually start itching after 6 hours.
Pineapple

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A tiny bio-mechanical camera is able to shift focus from a close range object to optical infinity – as far as the eye can see – much faster than the human brain is able to.

what about when you want to focus your eyes at a distance other than the distance of whatever object you happen to be looking at directly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: