welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

03/2/2008 all in a days work
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drui

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XenoVega wrote:
Sinfest has lost touch with it's name. Too bad.

I like to think of it as growing up, in a way. Tat hasn't completely forgone the sinful life - just look at Squigley - but now he's expanded his reach. If that makes sense.

I loved today's comic. It's pleasant. Smile
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Explaining the Strip Reply with quote

Maiku wrote:
The Gospel of Matthew has Jesus' sermon on a mount... Luke has it on a plain. Contradiction?!?

Panel 6 - The Temptation in the Desert (Mark 1:12, Matthew 4:1, Luke 4:1)

The whole Trinity concept is contradicted by the Bible numerous times, swearing being one of them.

Weird.

Not really - pretty much everything is contradicted in the Bible at some point, especially Old <-> New Testaments. That's part of the reason I can't take [literal interpretations of] it seriously. And there's some grim stuff in there too - everyone knows about the walls of Jericho, but how many people read the rest of that chapter and discovered the story of Ai, where God's followers lure that city's defenders out into a trap, slaughter them, raid the city, burn the houses, and murder the woman and children? Or other examples too numerous to mention.
Zeku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only the ending that I didn't get, not sure how staring into the desert lines up with being crucified and resurrecting. Maybe this is supposed to be Gethsemane, where he faces the final temptations to run from his destiny? Either way, Jesus is a worker, not a starer, so the ending was a bit of a letdown. Fun trip getting there, however.

It is somewhat amusing to see the reactions of those who have been ignorant from the beginning that this comic is not really about sin. The 'sin' in sinfest is always either ironic, or mocking the inherent weakness of man.
Drui

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have lost sight of the fact that the Bible is a conglomeration of stories told by a bunch of different people. Anyone who has played the kids' game "Telephone" can tell you that's a recipe for contradictions.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeku wrote:
It was only the ending that I didn't get

Me too - if there's a meaning in there, then I missed it. It's a nice piece of art ,though.

Zeku wrote:
The 'sin' in sinfest is always either ironic, or mocking the inherent weakness of man.

Um, isn't the inherent weakness of man the basis and nature of sin? Without that weakness (or possibly 'free will', which largely amounts to the same thing) there wouldn't be sin, surely? I've always seen Sinfest as an exploration of humanity and its modes of thought, both sinful and divine, as we see in the bilateral or grey-shaded natures of each* character.

* Li'l E and some others maybe exceptions to this, having a largely unilateral view of things, but it's not necessarily either 'good' or 'bad'. Lil' E isn't strictly evil; just misguided. He's certainly earnest.
ZigZag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this comic. Jesus is awesome!
Zonedout

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn seems like tat knows his bible

Remember Love others Love oneself
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambiguous ending eh?

Poetic in my eyes.
Secret

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is rather eventful for a Day in The Life.
magic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Explaining the Strip Reply with quote

Maiku wrote:
Panel 5 - Sermon on the Plain (Luke 6:17)
The Gospel of Matthew has Jesus' sermon on a mount... Luke has it on a plain. Contradiction?!?

I must admit I did not think of bible parallells at all, I thought Tat was just being self-referential

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man rode a mean donkey.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Explaining the Strip Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
And there's some grim stuff in there too - everyone knows about the walls of Jericho, but how many people read the rest of that chapter and discovered the story of Ai, where God's followers lure that city's defenders out into a trap, slaughter them, raid the city, burn the houses, and murder the woman and children? Or other examples too numerous to mention.

What about the one where they insist that the men of the city much be circumcised to do some treaty. Once all the guys are incapacitated, they go in and kill everyone? Classic. ::sighs::

I like the last panel. Very restive. Peaceful. I don't think there was a purpose beyond that.

Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Explaining the Strip Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
filecore wrote:
And there's some grim stuff in there too - everyone knows about the walls of Jericho, but how many people read the rest of that chapter and discovered the story of Ai, where God's followers lure that city's defenders out into a trap, slaughter them, raid the city, burn the houses, and murder the woman and children? Or other examples too numerous to mention.

What about the one where they insist that the men of the city much be circumcised to do some treaty. Once all the guys are incapacitated, they go in and kill everyone? Classic. ::sighs::

Those are by far my favorite parts of the Bible. Moralizing is so bland..
soprano16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just really love this comic.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Explaining the Strip Reply with quote

magic wrote:
Maiku wrote:
Panel 5 - Sermon on the Plain (Luke 6:17)

I must admit I did not think of bible parallells at all, I thought Tat was just being [url=http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=263'0]self-referential[/url]

well, it wasn't _all_ biblical parallels (although i haven't yet gotten all the way through the bible, i'm pretty sure there are no references to the father and the son playing catch). but the first parts, definitely.

(and the crucification was, i would think, pretty much a one-shot deal. now that that's over with, The Jeez can just kick back at the end of the day and enjoy the sunset...i would hope.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: