welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

03/2/2008 all in a days work
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sojobo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Explaining the Strip Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
What about the one where they insist that the men of the city much be circumcised to do some treaty. Once all the guys are incapacitated, they go in and kill everyone? Classic. ::sighs::

Your summary leaves much to be desired.

Jacob and family just moved into the vicinity, and Dinah (Jacob's daughter) was out visiting, and Prince Shechem (son of Hamor) liked the way she looked, and so raped her, then asked his dad to get Jacob to sell Dinah to him (dowry-wise).

Hamor went to Jacob and asked (and it here bears mentioning that Jacob's tribe was ridiculously, fabulously wealthy) if their tribes could intermarry and join with one another.

So Levi and Simeon (two of Jacob's sons), feeling vengeful, told them that their tribes could only join if all the males of the city got circumcised, and while they were all incapacitated from it, they went into town and killed them all.

Then they looted the place. Israel was pretty big on looting.
invisiblechild

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the comic but I think it would've made for a more consistent story (and for possibly more suspense) if the current panels 7-10 came after 12-13 and 11 wasn't there at all

but the ending is beautiful.
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the Levite cutting his concubine into 12 pieces and sending a piece to each of the tribes of Israel.

Or Judah, son of Jacob, who sleeps with his daughter-in-law Tamar, thinking she was a prostitute, then tries to have her stoned to death for adultery.

Then there's the killing of the firstborn of Egypt, the sin of Achan, the Levites slaughtering their brothers at Sinai, Amnon's rape of his half-sister Tamar (different Tamar), Elijah killing the prophets of Baal. The list goes on.

The Old Testament (or Tanakh, if you're Jewish), kicks ass. Entertaining reading.
11bulletstop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His concubine was already dead when the Levite cut her up. She had been raped to death by a mob of men and the Levite decided to send an overly-dramatic message to the tribes to rouse them to war for the atrocity.

11BulletStop
Hydro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
Hydro wrote:
KDX wrote:

Panel Four/Five:

That panel confuses me, and I don't particularly like it.

I think it's a reference a passage in the New Testament of the Bible where a crowd are about to stone an adultress when Jesus intercedes. Hence the following panel where he preaches love to the crowd.

Arrrgh. I should've gotten that too, perhaps I didn't want to jump to judgment since I'm neck deep in reading The Scarlet Letter.
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought 'comics' were typically funny.

nice art, but, as others have pointed out, the ending panel doesn't seem to say much.
Death Ray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydro wrote:
filecore wrote:
Hydro wrote:
KDX wrote:

Panel Four/Five:

That panel confuses me, and I don't particularly like it.

I think it's a reference a passage in the New Testament of the Bible where a crowd are about to stone an adultress when Jesus intercedes. Hence the following panel where he preaches love to the crowd.

Arrrgh. I should've gotten that too, perhaps I didn't want to jump to judgment since I'm neck deep in reading The Scarlet Letter.

Criminey's sake! Didn't any of you see The Last Temptation of Christ??

Anyhoo, I'll take Tater's views on Jesus over (the late) Johnny Hart's any day:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Death Ray:

This is a Sinfest discussion forum. Not a plug whatever your shitty website is doing at the moment forum. Please, get the fuck out and don't come back.

Sincerely,
Arc Tempest
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YenTheFirst wrote:

There's a bit of confusion about this always. I don't read Marvel/DC/whatever, but most people are of course familiar with them, and those are certainly not 'funny' comics - they are often grim stories about some men killing other men and people having nasty things done to or by them. There are war stories comics too, and detective comics, and so on. The problem is the use of the word 'comic' - it sounds like it derives from the adjective 'comic' meaning something which is comical, or funny, and comes from a historical use of comics which hasn't held true for a long time now.

A 'comic' nowadays should probably be better known as a sequential art form, which means "visual art consisting of images which are commonly combined with text, often in the form of speech balloons or image captions". They do often deal with 'funny' situations (cf Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, Disney, et al) involving some sort of visual or verbal humour, but there are many (see first paragraph) that don't. It's simply an expressive art style and they don't any more 'have to be' funny.

Last edited by filecore on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Chocolatefan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comic was drawn very nicely but the last panel seemed very abrupt to me. I hadn't realised there were specific biblical references besides the panels where Jesus is being tempted by the Devil (since walking on water is kinda an everyday thing for him).
Death Ray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Dear Death Ray:

This is a Sinfest discussion forum. Not a plug whatever your shitty website is doing at the moment forum. Please, get the fuck out and don't come back.

Sincerely,
Arc Tempest

Sweetest Arc,

I see from looking at your profile that you post to this forum roughly 21 times a day, and that your harsh words were probably said in haste simply to meet your obscene quota. So, like Christ, I forgive you.

If grouchiness is common to you, I would suggest you journey to a local health food store where you will find a wide selection of menstrual teas to soothe your spasmodic uterus.

With Utmost and Deepest Empathy,

Death Ray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
YenTheFirst wrote:

There's a bit of confusion about this always. I don't read Marvel/DC/whatever, but most people are of course familiar with them, and those are certainly not 'funny' comics - they are often grim stories about some men killing other men and people having nasty things done to or by them. There are war stories comics too, and detective comics, and so on. The problem is the use of the word 'comic' - it sounds like it derives from the verb 'comic' meaning something which is comical, or funny, and comes from a historical use of comics which hasn't held true for a long time now.

A 'comic' nowadays should probably be better known as a sequential art form, which means "visual art consisting of images which are commonly combined with text, often in the form of speech balloons or image captions". They do often deal with 'funny' situations (cf Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, Disney, et al) involving some sort of visual or verbal humour, but there are many (see first paragraph) that don't. It's simply an expressive art style and they don't any more 'have to be' funny.

*psst - i think you mean "adjective comic", i.e., a word that modifies or describes another word: a comic actor, a comic story. i don't think you can actually use 'comic' as a verb..."i comic this story"?

anyway - to agree, comics don't _have_ to be funny. even when that section of the newspapers was called "the funny papers", there were soap-opera type stripes - mary worth, little orphan annie, etc., etc., that told a story, not at all in a funny way.
Secret

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death Ray wrote:
Sweetest Arc,

I see from looking at your profile that you post to this forum roughly 21 times a day,

Your vision appears to be as bad as your comic. (I don't read it, of course. And given your need to advertise via huge, ridiculously idiotic forum signature banner ad, I can't imagine anyone else does.)

Quote:
So, like Christ,

...someone should kill you.
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this moment, I'm in support of DeathRay.

Hahaha "uterus". Laughing
Death Ray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
Death Ray wrote:
Sweetest Arc,

I see from looking at your profile that you post to this forum roughly 21 times a day,

Your vision appears to be as bad as your comic. (I don't read it, of course. And given your need to advertise via huge, ridiculously idiotic forum signature banner ad, I can't imagine anyone else does.)

Dearest and most treasured Secret,

I observe that, Like Arc, you spend as much time in this forum as a WoW addict would in an Azeroth grog tavern slaking his digital thirst with elf nog and trading his child's college fund for an enchanted mandolin.

I now see that, as a relatively recent addition to the forum, I am undergoing some sort of hazing ritual. What sport! Well met, fellows! Yes, my banner ad may be ostentatious, but were that you had anything to offer the world besides bitter recriminations and a host of STDs acquired from various men's room toilet seats rather than a willing pudendum, perhaps you would also advertise it in like manner.

Clearly you are begrieved over your own lack of a worthwhile commercial enterprise. Perhaps you and Arc could collaborate on a website wherein the flavors of cock you have tasted are Photoshopped onto Ben and Jerry's ice cream packages. This could be the answer to Lolcats the world has been waiting for, gentlemen!

With hopes for a gleaming future for the both of you,

Death Ray

Last edited by Death Ray on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: