welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Flights Halt on Suspicion of Terrorist Activity
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: UK Flights Halt on Suspicion of Terrorist Activity Reply with quote

'Airlines terror plot' disrupted

BBC Online wrote:
A terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on to as many as 10 aircraft in hand luggage.

Police arrested about 18 people in the London area and West Midlands after an anti-terrorist operation.

High security is causing delays at all UK airports, Heathrow is closed to incoming flights, and MI5 has raised the threat level to critical.

According to MI5's website, critical threat level - the highest - means "an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK".

Home Secretary John Reid confirmed that there had apparently been a plot "to bring down a number of aircraft through mid-flight explosions causing a considerable loss of life".

According to BBC sources the "principal characters" suspected of being involved in the plot were British-born.

(more)
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid terrorists!

Halen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Like the third time will involve dirty bombs. Reply with quote

Kara, every time you put England in your agenda, something starts happening to it.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they've arrested 21 people
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezus. Kara, I'm glad you weren't leaving London for home today.
Jinx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dream 2 or 3 nights ago that I was in London. I almost posted it in the dream thread, but it wasn't really about sinfesters. I do remember that, while walking down some street in dreamLondon, I thought that I should try to look up tDD, and remembered that Kara and Steph were supposed to be in London, too.

I hope none of you get stranded or delayed by this.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Kara, it looks like you may need to check your luggage after all. Either that, or get rid of any shampoo, lotion or other liquid carryons.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also supposedly they're not allowing laptop computers, remote controls, or IPODS on the planes either. =/

I'm glad the system works, and they managed to thwart it... but my god, when I read about it on MSN this morning.. Its just so frightening. I mean I know, TERRORism : Frightening. I get it. But, .. aargh, I don't know what I'm trying to really say.

Anyway, yay for the UK police being on top of things! Very Happy
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.

People's Daily Online wrote:
BA on Thursday advised all passengers that they would not be permitted to carry any hand baggage on board any aircraft departing from any airport in Britain.

Passengers will be allowed to take only travel documents, eyeglasses and a handful of other items through airport security, the company said in a statement.

BA also advised passengers that no electrical or battery powered items including laptops and mobile phones could be allowed in the cabin.

So... you're going to have to check your luggage no matter what. Poor Kara. Specifically packed to be able to not check any baggage.
Bart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Stupid terrorists!

Actually it is rather stupid. I'm not an expert on explosives, but wouldn't you need a rather large bomb to destroy a plane ? If they were using small bombs it would have been easier to set them of in the streets or something.
Jinx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. A small bomb, expecially placed near the wall of the cabin, especially near the wings, would cause not only rapid and probably devastating depressurization, but could cause enough structural damage to cause the airframe to fail.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I must be bad luck for the UK.
2. Fris, it's okay. I had to check my bag coming in anyway because Virgin has a new policy and carry-on luggage must be under six kilos. My bag was closer to 12.
3. Bart, weren't they talking about the bombs being in pieces and being carried on by various people and then assembled on the planes? I haven't had much access to TV or radio, so I'm not entirely sure. I've been getting my news from the Evening Standard and the BBC website.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, you only need a bomb big enough to scare people into letting you hijack the flight.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although whats really sad.. as 9/11 showed us, wouldn't it be better to brave the bomb then let the plane get hijacked? Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: