welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Animal Research for Fun and Profit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Incidentally, sheep have GREAT insulation against cold weather Wink

Anyone wanna guess what it is? Laughing

Ibian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The vikings grew barley and rye, several of the links i've provided point that out. Incidentally, nothing said they had cattle for dairy. It did say they had sheep however, which was a far more common farm animal than cattle in the northern hemisphere for a great deal of time.

You gotta dig up some history books if you wanna know everything they had.

Lets compare. Greenland had, at the time of one of those articles 1-2 years ago, 19 cows. They cant support more than that.

Erik alone had a hundred.

They also had pigs and chickens and horses and every other farm animal they needed.

Edited to add, the typical farm had maybe 10-20 pieces of cattle. That adds up to thousands at a time. There simply is no comparison between then and now, and as far as im concerned this topic is over. Lets talk about it again in 10 years if things have changed enough by then.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, cows and pigs and things are not crops. i want to know what crops you think they grew that they could not grow now.

(monkey - i know you listed rry and barley - but i wanted to know what ibian thought they grew. since, you know, he was making the big deal about crops they used to grow and couldn't grow and all like that).

and seriously - can you cite where it says greenland can only support 19 cows? and why? could it maybe be that they are using the land for other things?
Ibian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could give you a list of the crops, but whats the point? You will just find some other pedantic thing to intentionally misconstrue. It would be a danish list anyway so it wouldnt do you much good.

Its irrelevant anyway. Grazing areas for thousands of cattle is something Greenland does not have at the present time. Not until more ice melts. Not until it gets warmer.

The 19 cows thing is in one of the recent links. The one sammy got his pictures from, i believe.
Edit: Here. Right before the part where he says his rye doesnt grow long enough to bear fruit.
thegrimspectreofreddeath

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason why the vikings had more cattle than present day Greenlanders and it has little to do with temperature. I'd tell you what it is, but I don't want to spoil the surprised look on your father's face when he learns his son has rejected his chosen field in favour of illiteracy.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Eric Fail Reply with quote

Vikings disprove your arguments! Erik says FAIL!
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Eric Fail Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Vikings disprove your arguments! Erik says FAIL!

Would that be an Epik Fail?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Puma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

as to the monkeys: there are no monkeys in greenland. they are afraid of walruses, so they don't go there.

But now that the monkeys have GameGears plugged into their brains, they can use their robotic arms to drive away the walruses by throwing potatoes at them. Yay for animal research!
Eiden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibian wrote:
Lets compare. Greenland had, at the time of one of those articles 1-2 years ago, 19 cows. They cant support more than that.

Greenland has hosted more livestock since the 1960's than the Vikings ever did. Like thegrimspectreofreddeath said, there's a reason why the vikings had more cattle that makes it so you can't use a head count as a single cause marker of temperature. I will not spoil it either because it is more fun to see if you can figure it out.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibian wrote:
I could give you a list of the crops, but whats the point? You will just find some other pedantic thing to intentionally misconstrue. It would be a danish list anyway so it wouldnt do you much good.

Its irrelevant anyway. Grazing areas for thousands of cattle is something Greenland does not have at the present time. Not until more ice melts. Not until it gets warmer.

The 19 cows thing is in one of the recent links. The one sammy got his pictures from, i believe.
Edit: Here. Right before the part where he says his rye doesnt grow long enough to bear fruit.

So wait, THE VERY ARTICLE YOU LINK, states that greenland is warmer than it was in the times of Erik the Red. On top of which only two years ago broccoli had to be grown in special isolated greenhouses, and is now making its way to the grocery stores.

Congrats on linking articles that contradict your overall claims i guess?
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what were the cows' names, Monkey? What were their names!? If you can't tell me that, how can I expect to believe you about this climate stuff? My dad's an archaeologist and he told me their names, so I'll know if you're lying.
Puma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd just intentionally misconstrue their names anyway.
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was warmer in the past because they didn't have air conditioning.
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or else it just seemed that way from the flatulence of all those COWS
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puma wrote:
You'd just intentionally misconstrue their names anyway.

I'll Intentionally Misconstrue YER MOM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: