welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Animal Research for Fun and Profit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Puma wrote:
You'd just intentionally misconstrue their names anyway.

I'll Intentionally Misconstrue YER MOM.

I'll intentionally misconstrue YER FACE.
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Puma's mom is worth the potential damage.

I need further information. And not the kind that Ibian pulls from his/her/its nethers.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibian wrote:
I could give you a list of the crops, but whats the point? You will just find some other pedantic thing to intentionally misconstrue.

Let's keep this in mind for future reference, folks. We should be careful not to misconstrue things!

Quote:
Høegh has no illusions. He once worked as a volunteer in Third World countries, including Nepal. He knows that climate change poses a grave threat to those of the world's populations that already suffer from annually recurring droughts and heat waves today. "A few more degrees can mean hunger and suffering for people elsewhere in the world," he says, standing in the garden of his house overlooking downtown Qaqortoq.

Hmm, well gee. It seems the man has already seen the negative impacts of global warming elsewhere in the world, and predicts that it will continue to be A Big Dealtm in the future.

Quote:
The 19 cows thing is in one of the recent links. The one sammy got his pictures from, i believe.
Edit: Here. Right before the part where he says his rye doesnt grow long enough to bear fruit.

Okay, let's work hard to not misconstrue this article!
Ibian wrote:
Lets compare. Greenland had, at the time of one of those articles 1-2 years ago, 19 cows. They cant support more than that.

Hmmm. I don't see anything about the island only being able to support 19 cows. Here's what it says:
Quote:
Greenland is a dependent territory of Denmark, and Høegh says the Danish government once did the Greenlanders a disservice by flooding the island with inexpensive powdered milk. Fresh milk, on the other hand, costs more than €5 in the supermarket today.

A cattle-farming pioneer

Høegh wants that to change. Only 19 cows currently graze on the island, which is 2,650 kilometers (1,647 miles) long.

"Only 19 cattle currently graze on the island," does not imply that it can only support 19 cattle. And the number of cattle mentioned is tied specifically with the price of milk, or rather the much lower price of powdered milk that the Danish government sort of got them onto decades ago. Perhaps the low number of cattle is due, in part, to the availability of cheap powdered milk, which reduces the demand for normal milk? I am no expert in the geography of Greenland, but perhaps there are other places where cattle can graze on hardy, cold-resistant plants? Perhaps the Vikings, having had a longer period of mild weather (several hundred years), had more ice-free areas simply by virtue of much more ice having had a chance to melt during their settlement.

Quote:
But now the mild temperatures of the early Middle Ages have not only returned, but are even warmer than in the days of Eric the Red.

... wow. This says you're wrong. But let's be careful to not misconstrue that statement. Maybe there's some sort of qualification attached.

Nope.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puma wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Puma wrote:

puma vs monkey! battle of the species! go felines!

LD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeezee wrote:
Puma wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Puma wrote:

puma vs monkey! battle of the species! go felines!

Monkey
Monkey
Monkey
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky no-one got hungry for beef!
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibian wrote:
I could give you a list of the crops, but whats the point?

well, it would have given you an opportunity to demonstrate you could marshal an actual concrete fact....

besides, it's clear you've already missed the huge point. yes, it was warm when eric the red was there, but it's even warmer than that now. so we have your demonstration of a place that is warmer now than it was 1000 years ago.

so - do the rest of us get to speculate on why the vikings had more cattle 1000 years ago? 'cause you know ibian's never going to bite, now.

Last edited by mouse on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can see the correlation between those two is astounding
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
you can see the correlation between those two is astounding

I can find no fault with it!

mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just so long as you don't pedantically misconstrue it.
Puma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now that graph can only support 16 bars, but 1000 years ago the vikings had graphs with way more bars than that, and without modern graphing techniques!
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: There's a lot of truth, and then there's a lot of hype. Reply with quote

I really only have one opinion about Global Warming. An opinion that keeps on getting confirmed over and over.

Read This Article

Then Read This Article

Then this article.

It's a far more complex issue than people would like to believe, and until I see less hype and more facts, I'm not really going to take it *that* seriously.

Keep in mind that this doesn't mean that I think there isn't actually a climate change caused by humans.

It means that I hate hidden agendas, no matter how honorable the cause they support may be.

And by more facts, I mean correlations with the sun cycle every eleven years, articles with a full understanding of chemical engineering and slightly closed system vapor processes, geothermal evidence, industry outputs *and* inputs, increasing nitrates in the ocean, etc, etc. The list of items to consider is immense, the amount of variables is unknown, or immeasurable.

And I know that the average consumer's idea of "going green" is not going to solve this particular problem anytime soon. If this problem was going to be solved seriously, our entire way of life would have to be overhauled and redesigned, with serious amounts of money being spent on science and research on energy methods, not military weapons or a stupid war.

But try convincing that to a society obsessed with entertainment and short term pleasures. Good luck with that idealogical battle.

Frankly, I like the heat. Let it come.

Fun link of the day, Can you spot anything wrong?
Yorick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those links aren't about animal research, then I'm calling you out as having a hidden agenda.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: