welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sports Thread: Olympics, Euros, Professional Yatzhee ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156, 157  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they built one stadium in Rio that i suppose could be refit for the Olympics, but for the World Cup they built twelve stadiums all over the country, and the other eleven are probably not gonna be all that useful.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...ok, now i'm not seeing how even brazil blitzing germany and going on to final victor would make that ok.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's why we might wind up getting the 2022 World Cup, if FIFA actually does pull it away from Qatar. there's more than enough college and NFL football stadiums that could handle the crowds and hoopla of World Cup soccer matches, and they're all conveniently not really being used in the summer.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Germany v. Argentina in the final this Saturday. I was expecting Netherlands to win, to be honest, but either way it's going to be a good game.

Might be settled in PKs, but a good game none the less.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - looks like the overtime must have been exciting. the guy who owns the cafe in the building is argentinian, i will have to go congratulate him on the win (everything i know about soccer i learned watching it on tv while i waited for my order)
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so LeBron James went back to Cleveland

it's interesting seeing the weird emotional gyrations that have resulted among Cleveland sports fans. like, LeBron was somewhere slightly beneath Art Modell in the Hierarchy of Cleveland Sports Villains, but then he came back, which means someone with enormous wealth and fame actually chose to go to Cleveland when he could have gone literally anywhere else.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
yeah, it's why we might wind up getting the 2022 World Cup, if FIFA actually does pull it away from Qatar. there's more than enough college and NFL football stadiums that could handle the crowds and hoopla of World Cup soccer matches, and they're all conveniently not really being used in the summer.

City populations are about as ... enthusiastic on hosting the world cup as they are about hosting the olympics. Nobody wants them anymore, and nobody wants to get stuck paying the tab.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazil lost to Holland, which isn't exactly surprising. Brazil's defense has been a shambles, and the Netherlands has been playing really well.

I'm super excited for the final match tomorrow. Germany and Argentina have the #2 and #3 scorers, respectively, and each of them have multiple people up for the golden ball (MVP). The current Pope is Argentine, whereas the retired Pope is German... so hopefully that cancels out the God factor. However, Germany has scored more goals during regular play than any other team. I fully expect Germany to take it, but if it goes into PK then it's anyone's guess.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hadn't thought about the pope connection - hopefully germany's win won't cause the church to reject francis's changes in favor of where benedict left things.

cafe owner not in today, and i even wore black to commiserate with him....hopefully he's just home sobbing in a dark room for a bit.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE NCAA IS ILLEGAL LOL not really but the whole no-profiting-from-your-own-likeness-and-stuff thing did turn out to kinda sorta be violating federal antitrust laws so y'know
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 20 year old driver got spun out by Tony Stewart, was pissed as hell, jumped out on the track and was confronting/chickening Stewart as he made the next lap past him.

But he chickened way out past the middle of the track, and Stewart flat up and caught him in the drift. He was sucked up by a tire, and rolled so violently that I would be surprised if he wasn't instantaneously dead.

Yeah, Tony Stewart just flat out killed a dude.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the footage I've seen it's more like a dude flat out got himself killed.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, Stewart has a habit of 'buzzing' people on occasion.

I'm not going to link to the video, but you can find it easily. The driver walking on the track is dressed pretty much all in black, and the lighting is not very bright, so it couldn't have been easy to see him, but all the same Stewart's line on the track was much higher than the white car that passed the walking driver before him.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
From the footage I've seen it's more like a dude flat out got himself killed.

yeah even if stewart was trying to buzz him, guy was being a flat out idiot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 155 of 157

Jump to: