Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sports Thread: Olympics, Euros, Professional Yatzhee ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 161, 162, 163  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Gary

Location: Some pub in England ... Uh, I mean, Scotland ... Uh, I mean, Spain ... Uh I mean Scotland again ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ashes. It's the biggest thing in the world of (that weird game) cricket. England v Australia, for a trophy Thumbelina could lift. Played over 5 games. England won the first, pretty well. Australia won the second at an embarrasing canter. England won the third game, with ease. The fourth game could be the decider. The world of cricket looked on.

But not me. I'm excited to hear how the games plays out (I don't have Sky TV, so I listen to the radio). I got up early, for me, 9am, listened to the team news, the coin toss to decide who bats first and who bowls first. Then I fell asleep.

When I woke up this had happened.

Australia, the great bastards of the game, all out within a few hours, for a record brief innings. 60/all out. Their nemesis, Stuart Broad, England's cocky blonde bowler taking 8 wickets in a quick morning session wherein he conceded just 15 runs (context - you'd be happy if you took 5/90 as an international bowler).

The Australian press are already calling the morning session a 'Pomicide'. Ah, but I wish Dazedb42 was still here.

Cricket, eh? WTF?
Echo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top scorer for Australia: Extras.

Fuck, that's... I actually feel sorry for them. I mean, Australian cricket players and fans are not necessarily good winners, but there's a line crossed when things get humiliating for professional players...
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my boss is australian, i guess i should read this....
Quote:
Broad, bowling the first over, had Chris Rogers caught at first slip by Alastair Cook with his second ball - claiming his 300th wicket and inflicting a first duck in 46 Test innings on the Australia opener - before Steve Smith edged his sixth delivery to Joe Root at third slip.

um.......

so was that good or bad?
Mr Gary

Location: Some pub in England ... Uh, I mean, Scotland ... Uh, I mean, Spain ... Uh I mean Scotland again ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought it was hilarious, wish I could have seen it live. But for your boss? Bad. Very bad.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess it could explain why he wasn't in yesterday.

but inflicting ducks on people seems just all-around cruel.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Johnson, in his Dictionary, included the word 'anatiferous: to produce ducks'. I always thought this was the most absurd dictionary word ever, albeit included in one of the English language's first attempted comprehensive dictionaries. Surely only ducks could be 'anatiferous', I always thought. Turns out the word is also applicable to Australian batsmen who can't leave well enough alone.

('Anatiferous' also appears to refer to a once held believe that ducks could be born or transformed from certain types of barnacle. Every day is a school day).
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, see that's just ignorant all around. goose-neck barnacles produce geese, not ducks!
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristiano Ronaldo, one of the greatest sportsmen of his generation, and one of the most difficult living sportsmen to love, has a net worth of 341 million euros. He could give every person living in Iceland 960 euros if he liked, as a kinda bonus freebie. But the Icelandic people will probably be happy enough without his generous tip.

Euro 2016: Portugal 1 - Iceland 1

Quote:
“Iceland didn’t try anything,” whined the reigning, pathetic world player of the year. “They were just defend, defend, defend and playing on the counterattack. It was a lucky night for them."

Even in a tiny nation’s finest hour in football, Ronaldo demands the limelight and so it is gratifying the prima donna was partly responsible for Iceland producing a performance to remember.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He felt they were cheering too loudly too.

Despite that this is the first time they qualified and almost 10% of the icelandic population was in the stadium

what a joyless ass
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ireland fans 'taunt' Sweden supporters

Top bantz.
tuongtrante1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey won in penalties it seems. I missed the game as I have been travelling for fucking 9,5 hours this day, train bus and car. Goddamn I'm too tired to really care about about this stuff.

Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuongtrante1 wrote:
Turkey won in penalties it seems.

That's certainly one way of describing Turkey losing 3-0 to Spain in regulation time, in the round before penalty shoot outs are even possible.

Still, shit, sounds like you were travelling a long time. Hope you get to see some of the games.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the spambots have gone rogue
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rio's Governor Declares 'State Of Calamity' Ahead Of Olympic Games

Quote:
Just seven weeks before the opening ceremony of the Olympics, the governor of Rio de Janeiro has declared a "state of calamity." Interim Governor Francisco Dornelles says the state's government is bankrupt and can't meet its financial commitments ahead of the games.
Lulu tells our Newscast unit that finances in Rio "have been so dire ... that civil servants haven't been paid and hospitals are operating on a shoe string." She adds that even amid a countrywide recession, "the state that is hosting the Olympics has been particularly hard hit." Here's more from Lulu:
Quote:
Most of its revenue comes from oil and gas, and the state oil company has been at the center of a corruption scandal. The federal government is expected to bail Rio out with just enough money to see it through the Olympics – but what happens after the athletes go home is still unclear.

In a decree, Dornelles said the state requires emergency measures to prevent "a total collapse in public security, health, education, transport and environmental management," Reuters reported.
Rio state Finance Minister Julio Bueno said "security was the state's biggest cost," according to the Post. As Lulu reported, the dire financial situation is visible on the streets of Rio: "Crime is soaring because cops don't even have gas for their cars."
It's also visible in the crime statistics, as Lulu has reported:
Quote:
Murders are up 15 percent from last year. Robbery is up 30 percent. Amid the economic and political turmoil, the state security budget has been cut by a third. The gangs are fighting for territory in advance of the Olympics, according to authorities.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rio Drug Testing Lab Is Suspended Weeks Before Olympics

Quote:
The Brazilian laboratory that was designated to conduct drug testing for the Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro has been suspended by the World Anti-Doping Agency for not conforming to international standards.
News of the suspension came in a statement issued in Montreal. The decision can be appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport within 21 days.
The action by the agency that keeps track of doping in sports with the help of three dozen testing labs around the globe comes just six weeks before the games are set to open in August.
This is not the first time the Rio lab has been suspended by WADA. The lab was shut down during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Blood samples from soccer players were flown to Switzerland for testing.
WADA's statement did not specify its complaints about the Brazilian Doping Control Laboratory at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 161, 162, 163  Next
Page 162 of 163

Jump to: