welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Movie Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 346, 347, 348  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: The Movie Thread Reply with quote

This is a thread for movies, what you want to see, what you've seen, and what has made you wish you could get 90+ minutes of your life back.

Ok so we went to take the kids to Kung Fu Panda today...and it was broken, they said maybe by Thursday. So instead we hung out for 20 minutes at the arcade next door and saw Iron Man and it was teh awesome, though after the recommendations for it here I was expecting good stuff. It's got me REALLY stoked for The Avengers movie coming out in 2011 (as well as Iron Man 2 coming out in 2010) we're planning on seeing The Incredible Hulk the week after next, any insight?

So when we got home we watched something from the other end of the spectrum, The Bucket List. I'd call it a dramatic comedy with a lot of sweet tender moments. I mean it was Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson directed by Rob Reiner. I read some critical reviews about it and they miss the point: the film isn't about two men who have terminal cancer, it's about them discovering themselves as a result of having been diagnosed with terminal cancer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I used to be able to predict most of the award ceremonies (oscars, golden globe, etc) because I watched so many movies. Living in a tiny ass town, I have not been able to do so for many years now. This makes me sad.

I want to see Hulk. My friends tell me that it is better than the first and that Edward Norton should have accepted the role when it was firsts offered to him and that the previews give Liv a bad rep. However, these friends of mine have rather low standards for movie quality and instead focus on movie coolness.

I really liked Iron Man. I still need to see Indiana Jones. It pains me to think about how many movies I have missed.

Feiticeira

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motherfuck, I was hoping for some sort of six degrees/guess that movie! thread (I was thinking about making another of these threads a few nights ago but I have no dvd software on my PC).

Thread in no way delivers.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Kung Fu Panda last week; it was fun and funny.

I saw Indiana Jones the week before; not as good as the old movies, but still decent in its own right. (However, suspend a bunch of disbelief and just go with it. CGI is overused, again.) The final scene before the credits felt tacked on tho.

Iron Man was the best dang superhero movie ever.

I'm seeing Hulk either Thursday or next Monday. Depends on this and that.

At home, I saw "Cloverfield" over this past weekend. Not shabby for what it is, but what it is isn't very good to begin with. Scares are okay, story very thin.

Also saw "The Mist" the same weekend. They're very similar. The Mist has some pretty good acting, I thought, and the usual Stephen King characters/characterizations (i.e. mostly 2-D). Scares pretty decent. Ending tragic. Made me want to re-read the story (which I did).

I watched "Charlie Wilson's War" Monday night. (yeah, I see a lot of movies. I haven't been much into socializing lately.) Good acting all around, very funny, interesting topic (Soviet invasion of Afghanistan).

Last edited by Yorick on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
I saw Indiana Jones the week before; not as good as the old movies, but still decent in its own right. (However, suspend a bunch of disbelief and just go with it. CGI is overused, again.) The final scene before the credits felt tacked on tho.

I thought old man Harrison did a good job. The ending didnt feel very 'Indiana Jonesy' though, and I really could have done with out the monkey vine swinging scene though. Good movie though, not the best in the series, but Id watch it again.
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best movies I've seen recently are there will be blood and no country for old men. pay special attention to the music in both of those. one has no music at all, and the other uses music to extreme effect. I was so pleased. I despise movie soundtracks. daniel day lewis is absolutely stunning... especially after seeing how he is in real life. the man actually acts. unlike someone, like, say...

the new brad pitt as jesse james was OK, despite brad pitt. best reason to see it: casey affleck. he is awesome in that and in gone baby gone. best new actor on the market.

most awesomest new old style western ever: 3:10 to yuma.

something quite a bit older but that I haven't seen until recently is paris, texas. wim wenders directs. screen play by sam shepard. music: ry cooder. harry dean stanton and nastassja kinski.

I mean, come on. it's fucking sweet, people. I recommend all of wenders films, by the way, and kinski too.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to borrow 3:10 to Yuma. next week, I already have three flicks to watch.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Yorick wrote:

I thought old man Harrison did a good job. The ending didnt feel very 'Indiana Jonesy' though, and I really could have done with out the monkey vine swinging scene though. Good movie though, not the best in the series, but Id watch it again.

OMG yes, that and the jungle chase scene could have been about 1/2 or even 1/3 of the length.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also - the nuclear explosion bit.

I must say, I was quite impressed with the acting ability portrayed in the 'indiana stares into the crystal skull' scene. </sarcasm>
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**SPOILER** (kind of)

I really wanted the full line from Cate Blanchett at the end to be "I can see! Oh God, I can see forever!"
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YenTheFirst wrote:
also - the nuclear explosion bit.

yeah. He's at best a mile from the explosion and still stands there and looks at it. a) radiation poisoning b) blindness from the bright light c) skin and hair melting off immediately. MCFLY! HELLO!
Puma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiana Jones was good as long as you don't actually think about it. It was a stupid but fun adventure movie, and mostly quite enjoyable as such.

I haven't seen any of the other movies y'all have mentioned, except for Paris, Texas, which is indeed fucking sweet, and should be seen by everyone.
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Island".

um. okay.

well, shit blowed up reel gud, anyway.
Puma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you will about Michael Bay, but he do blow shit up good.
I actually sort of liked The Island, although it can't hold a candle to the movie it's a rip-off of, Parts: The Clonus Horror.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually going to a proper cinema tomorrow for the first time in ages. But the girl I'm going with has already seen Hulk Sad

I genuinely haven't kept up with what else is showing in the UK at the moment, although I have a horrible suspiscion the new ----- Movie (Disaster I think) is out already. Any recomendations?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 346, 347, 348  Next
Page 1 of 348

Jump to: