welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "They Play Football in the States, Too" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoySetsFire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost forgot....

Tottenham Hotspurs for the win! ZING!
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
Guccipiggy wrote:
Shame on you for making me click on this thread under false pretense! Or however you spell pretense.

I demand you add the word 'American' to the title of this thread.

I was going to actually, but there wasn't enough space.

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
American football requires less pure athleticism than football, less toughness than rugby, and less strategy than basketball.

Well, if by "pure athleticism" you mean the ability to run around a lot, then I agree. The ting about American Football is that the positions are much more specialized than in most other sports. Even the fat offensive linemen are tremendous athletes.

If you CREATE a position that requires a certain body type to fill, that position is not inherently athletic. Moreover their moments of athleticism are short bursts of action followed by 30 seconds of rest for the duration fo the game, in both rugby and soccer, you go full tilt for 90 minutes. Fat offensive linemen would die of heart attacks trying to play those games.
Quote:

Less strategy than Basketball? Surely you jest. American Football requires more strategy than any professional sport I've seen. Unlike basketball (with only 5 on the floor per team), one player cannot take over a game. Every play is different and tries to find a weakness in the enemy defense. Then when you have really good coaches you see that some plays are called just to confuse the defense later in the game. I'm sorry, but basketball cannot compare when you're talking about strategy.

Yeah, strategy in the war games sense of revolutionary war strategy compared to modern warfare strategy, where everyone lines up nice and neat for every play vs having to watch constantly moving targets and being ready to switch instantly from defense to offense when the opponent makes an error. Unimpressed...rugby is the superior physical game, soccer is the superior thinking mans game.
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoySetsFire, The 49ers looked good in their first preseason game (unlike the Packers who are turning in a very poor performance) and if Carson Palmer can come back Healthy the Bengals should be good.

WVU is a popular dark horse candidate for the National Championship this year, but I don't see it. I almost look at the Big east like it's a Mid-Major Conference now. I mean, sure, the best team in it (Presumably WVU) is a good team but they don't play enough good teams to really prepare them for a National Championship-Caliber opponent.

I'm obviously a Hawkeye and Big Ten fan myself. Notre Dame also ranks highly in my heart.
mouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, judging from the political cartoons the univ. of oklahoma sooners did something monumentally stupid, but i haven't been paying attention to the papers - anyone want to tell me what it was?
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhet Bomar, I believe, was the name of their starting Quarterback. He started last year as a very highly-touted but rough around the edges Freshman and ended up putting together a decent year. He was expected to have a great season this year and with a more than solid suppoting cast (including a Heisman candidate at Running Back) Oklahoma was #5 in the the preseason coaches poll.

While his name is still Rhett Bomar, he will no longer be the starting quarterback. He was apparently working at a car dealership and being paid for hours which he didn't work. The end result is an NCAA violation and he was kicked off the team. A starting guard was doing the same thing and was also kicked off the team (though since the O-line is much less glamorous than quarterback, less attention has been given to this). The los of these two players effectively ensures that Oklahoma will have another mediocre season.

People are highly critical of the coaching staff for not keeping a closer watch on their players and preventing things like this from happening. I don't know how much you should blame the coach (I happen to think Bob Stoops is a pretty stand-up guy), but he certainly seems to be catching much of the flak.
DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Mizike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The City of Pittsburgh fears motorcycles.
DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
jwing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, because the money spent for medical bills could be better spent buying off more referees...

<.<
>.>

/mock-bitterness from the stupid bowl last season
DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Kilgore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Mizike wrote:

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
American football requires less pure athleticism than football, less toughness than rugby, and less strategy than basketball.

Well, if by "pure athleticism" you mean the ability to run around a lot, then I agree. The ting about American Football is that the positions are much more specialized than in most other sports. Even the fat offensive linemen are tremendous athletes.

If you CREATE a position that requires a certain body type to fill, that position is not inherently athletic. Moreover their moments of athleticism are short bursts of action followed by 30 seconds of rest for the duration fo the game, in both rugby and soccer, you go full tilt for 90 minutes. Fat offensive linemen would die of heart attacks trying to play those games.

All sports "create" a position that require a certain body type to fill. That's why Limebackers and professional weighlifters are no good at soccer, despite being amazing physical specimens. You're arbitrarily placing one set of physical strengths over all others by virtue of the fact that you favor the sport which requires them, which is stupid. While it's true that your average linebacker wouldn't be able to keep up in a soccer game, it's equally true that the average soccer player (and the vast majority of rugby players, for that matter) would be reduced to a broken, weeping wreck after a few plays on the O-line. You might as well say that sumo wrestlers aren't athletic because they don't run marathons. Grow up.

Rolling Eyes

-Slick
thegrimspectreofreddeath

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in soccer, you go full tilt for 90 minutes.

This is quite simply an outrageous lie.
kame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegrimspectreofreddeath wrote:
Quote:
in soccer, you go full tilt for 90 minutes.

This is quite simply an outrageous lie.

thegrimspectreofreddeath ftw Very Happy
Bart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have a point about the strategy though. Correct me i i'm wrong, but isn't it all set plays that they do. If the players memorize which way to run they have all the tactic they need. (I know it's unfair but i'm thinking of this scene in Forrest Gump Smile ).
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feh.

Basketball for the win.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: