welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Link Dump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 249, 250, 251  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.passwordmeter.com/

the password I use on my email (which could be used to get into things like my paypal account, along with most of my other accounts) gets a score of 98%

my actual paypal password only gets a score of 84%

my total crap passwords that I use in multiple places across the internet get scores of 32% and 38%

the root password on my computer gets a score of 36% despite my gut feeling that it is ever so slightly slightly stronger than my total crap password

my other passwords on things I only sort of care about get scores ranging from 40% to 70%

the primary password of a company I'm doing some work for gets a score of 55%, but it's actually much weaker than that since it's just the initials of the company followed by their zip code, which I suppose is among the sort of information you should put in if you're doing a dictionary attack on that sort of company but isn't the sort of thing that I'd expect a javascript app to recognise: http://securitynirvana.blogspot.com/2010/02/never-trust-password-meters.html

also, it should just execute in your browser without sending any information over the web, but I'm not particularly trustful of this sort of thing and I'm too lazy to look over every line of code used in the form, so I ran it in a sandboxed browser without internet access

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

the password I use on my email (which could be used to get into things like my paypal account, along with most of my other accounts) gets a score of 98%

my total crap passwords that I use in multiple places across the internet get scores of 32% and 38%

the root password on my computer gets a score of 36% despite my gut feeling that it is ever so slightly slightly stronger than my total crap password

my other passwords on things I only sort of care about get scores ranging from 40% to 70%

the primary password of a company I'm doing some work for gets a score of 55%, but it's actually much weaker than that since it's just the initials of the company followed by their zip code, which I suppose is among the sort of information you should put in if you're doing a dictionary attack on that sort of company

Of the dozen or so passwords I use, none rate above 78%, nor below 64%. My highest is my original google, which is also linked with my phone for further verification, although now I'm paranoid and am going to change it later from a different machine.

My old passwords I used to use, which didn't include capitals, only get scores in the 30-38% range.

Oh and my bank password gets a 94%, but my wife came up with that one, and it's far from easily recoverable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

the primary password of a company I'm doing some work for gets a score of 55%, but it's actually much weaker than that since it's just the initials of the company followed by their zip code, which I suppose is among the sort of information you should put in if you're doing a dictionary attack on that sort of company but isn't the sort of thing that I'd expect a javascript app to recognise: http://securitynirvana.blogspot.com/2010/02/never-trust-password-meters.html

also, it should just execute in your browser without sending any information over the web, but I'm not particularly trustful of this sort of thing and I'm too lazy to look over every line of code used in the form, so I ran it in a sandboxed browser without internet access

I call bullshit.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a bit disappointed in that particular xkcd strip. I mean, that's not how dictionary attacks work. That sort of pass phrase is actually rather easy for a computer to guess unless you jumble it up a bit.

As for Tr0ub4dor&3, common substitutions like putting in a zero for 'o' are generally considered not to increase the difficulty of guessing the password by very much. I also think it would actually be marginally more difficult for me to remember CorrectHorseBatteryStaple (I'd get the order of the words mixed up and probably only remember 3/4 words) than to remember Tr0ub4dor&3, but that might just be me.

on most of my passwords the main priority is actually how easy it is to type since remembering hasn't ever really been an issue and brute force attacks aren't a particularly big security risk most of the time

I sometimes use other passwords that are intended specifically to be difficult to crack (like v&LD#53(7uq-v6sCXjL'o32~S7H4c), maybe for an admin account somewhere, or maybe if I need to send a file encrypted with something simpler than a proper public key, but I don't memorize those, I store them on my computer behind a much weaker password and copy/paste them when I need to use them.

the proper argument against all this would be with a proper setup you don't have the opportunity to guess all that many passwords, and in the few cases where you would, you don't have to memorize that password

btw, CorrectHorseBatteryStaple scores a respectable 90% on passwordmeter.com

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:43 am; edited 5 times in total
Finnegan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like taking song lyrics I'm fond of and using the first letter of each word, following the capitalization rules for titles, then followed by a string of numbers. they are super easy to remember but appear to be total gibberish. I was never sure if this method resulted in a secure password or not but that site gave me a score of 100%.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/04/21/177949605/a-wet-towel-in-space-is-not-like-a-wet-towel-on-earth
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't watch it with the sound on, but that video was awesome! The. water reminds me of the gloop in a vienna sausage can.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about what I expected

hydrogen bonds, yo

cool to look at, bro
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloop is the most unappetizing description of a food product.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random fact....
gloop
means stupid in Bosnian (which is my native language)...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martian Kyo wrote:
Random fact....
gloop
means stupid in Bosnian (which is my native language)...

Does 'gleep' mean anything?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, sorry about the double post.

Last edited by TIAB on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay 100%.

I am so smart S-M-R-T smart
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13/13

After such basic questions, I was rather pleased to see how the histogram at the end was skewed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 249, 250, 251  Next
Page 229 of 251

Jump to: