welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legend Of Korra
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legend Of Korra Reply with quote

I <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 this show. It is the reason we are finally getting cable. Actually my whole family loves it. My kids want to go both go as Aang for Halloween (well Cameron wanted to be Momo but no dice on a costume). I'm going to be sad when it's over, but for now I NEED MORE! WHY GOD, WHY ARE THERE ONLY 5 DISCS OUT, WHY!?!?

Also you know it's doing well when a google image search for "avatar airbender" turn up with hentai of the female lead on the first page Confused

Last edited by Darqcyde on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Katrin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAWL INTRANETZ.

No, but seriously, why exactly is it that you and others like this... thing?
kame

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katrin wrote:
LAWL INTRANETZ.

Shonen manga/anime can be addictive as hell when done right (i.e. Hikaru no Go, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic).

Did I forget to mention I'm an anime nerd? Very Happy
mantismag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the series is hilarious, the story and characters are good, and the animation is damn good for an american show. the fact that they actually use real martial arts as a reference is a huge plus. i love that show.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm.. this was one of the shows my kids and I tried really hard not to miss when I had cable tv. Like... a year and a half ago or so. If I rented the Avatar series DVDs, we'd all be sitting on the couch watching them.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dittoes on the praise. They handle magic thoughtfully and animate it well. I once hijacked a friend's TV during a party to catch an episode.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who shoots lightning
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Dittoes on the praise. They handle magic thoughtfully and animate it well. I once hijacked a friend's TV during a party to catch an episode.

It's not magic, it's bending Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
who shoots lightning

Princess Azula for one.

wiki wrote:
Abilities

Azula is revealed to be proficient in the highly difficult technique of creating and controlling lightning (a technique previously only displayed by Iroh in the episode "The Storm").

The most noticeable features of Princess Azula's bending are her ability to create lightning and her characteristic blue flames, both of which are much more intense than the red and yellow fire normally used by firebenders. Also notable is her ability to produce much larger flames than previously displayed by most other firebenders on the show. These abilities when combined with her expert martial arts skills and aggression make her extremely dangerous.

Sam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: die on fire, with fire Reply with quote

o ok I have a faction now.

DIE UNDERNEATH OUR ENGINES OF WAR AND IMPERIALISM

FIRE, FIRE, HOO RAH

who's with me?
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes So funny that you pick the one who plays with lightning no matter their alignment. An evil scientist could sway you to his side with no more than a "Hey, you'd get to control lightning." And you'd be all, "Dude! I'm totally with it! First target? An orphanage? No problem!"
JohnnyStrider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrrgh! He keeps beating me to it!

Damn it Sam. When the revolution comes I'm making damn sure you don't get the pair of Jordans to hang on your door so the angry negro masses know to pass over your household.
Katrin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
Katrin wrote:
LAWL INTRANETZ.

Shonen manga/anime can be addictive as hell when done right (i.e. Hikaru no Go, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic).

Did I forget to mention I'm an anime nerd? Very Happy

Man, mention Hikaru no Go and Full Metal Alchemist and all that comes to mind is yaoi.

These people make it for these sort of pairings, I know it.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see Hikaru no Go mentioned, all that comes to mind is awesome.

Katrin wrote:

Obviously, it is the handling of magic that first catches my attention. Aang's bending in particular is quite beautiful and creative - he rides around on a little air bubble, while he can't fly directly, he can affect currents enough to hold up the glider he carries with him, and the flows of air he uses in combat are quite well managed.

And the combat brings up a second hook. The characters have distinct and consistant fighting styles. My knowledge of martial arts is quite meagre, but the movements tend to look natural, and always accentuate the bending attacks and defenses.

Of course, hooks do not make the show. It's quite nice, then, when within a couple of episodes you notice how strong the writing is all around. The characters are well developed and interesting. The cultures are distinct from one another and interact in believable ways. Politics are not ignored (amazing in a American childrens' show). The plot develops naturally and believably. In short, there just isn't any reason not to like the show.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: ooh tingly Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
Rolling Eyes So funny that you pick the one who plays with lightning no matter their alignment. An evil scientist could sway you to his side with no more than a "Hey, you'd get to control lightning." And you'd be all, "Dude! I'm totally with it! First target? An orphanage? No problem!"

The fire army is only evil from a certain point of view. You have to understand that our desire for unification stems from a need to end all present and future conflicts for the good of a united world people. Along the way, we simply decided that industrialization and modern development, the mainstays by which we intend to integrate formerly fissiparous and backwards tribes into a modern society, should replace the archaic pre-State constructs of the wayward elements.

That which is cleansed by Fire is strong, and pure. Except I'm cleansing with Lightning, which is probably pretty totally strong and pure, since it's essentially hotter and faster than fire, like, surface of sun hot, so if the properties of heat that do that cleansing and strengthening thing are linear, then it follows that I'm making some pretty strong and clean stuff, I'd think, right? Anyway, it's a moot point. I won't shoot orphanages -- that's perfectly good child labor, right there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: