Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNN: Girl, 10, dies after collapsing at amusement park

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drui

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: CNN: Girl, 10, dies after collapsing at amusement park Reply with quote

Autopsy still pending, but aren't people with heart conditions strongly advised to avoid this sort of activity? I can hardly imagine what the parents are feeling right now.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are, but you don't always find out in time
Bart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A 10-year-old girl with a history of heart trouble

From the article.
That still doesn't mean that something like this could be expected, heart troubles could mean anything. I've got a cousin who has to have his heart controlled every few years because of deformed heart valves, but he's allowed to do anything he wants and he surely wouldn't die from a thrilling ride in an amusement park.
Katrin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was she fat and had high-cholesterol?
Egregius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollercoasters are still approx 10x as safe as travelling by plane (which is safer than walking out the door, apparently).

And we had quite a lot of plane crashes last year, so I was wondering where the rollercoaster deaths were.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very low, the average big coaster has a capacity of about 1200* riders per hour which is met most of the time during high season, smaller coaster still take on about 800 riders per hour. If you keep that up for a few years the numbers (even estimates for 'unique' riders) run in the millions. That doesn't make a single death or accident OK but it certainly affects the statistics...
Bart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can't really blame this dead on the rollercoaster, anything could have killed that girl.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katrin wrote:

well, that's an incredibly stupid and ignorant thing to say.
CopperTop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandson had scarlet fever when he was 5 years old. There's a possibilty that he may have some underlying cardiac condition because of it. He lives about 15 minutes from an amusement park - and he does not ride the roller coasters that have warnings on them about heart conditions. This is his choice, because he realizes it could be dangerous for him.

If the parents of this poor child knew about her heart condition, read the warnings posted outside the ride and still allowed her to go on it, I have the deepest sympathies for their loss... but they're idiots for having put their daughter's life at risk like that.
Azmoten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Katrin wrote:

well, that's an incredibly stupid and ignorant thing to say.

Is it generally customary to post why/how it's stupid and ignorant, and how they may improve upon themselves, or just tell them they're stupid and ignorant?
Dro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes self-reflection is the surest path to enlightenment.

But I'll help. These stress-related deaths in children are usually due to heart defects, instead of obesity-related problems. News stories about these amusement park deaths occur several times a year, it seems, see:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/30/coaster.death/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/15/disney.death/

So ignorant is apt. She isn't aware of a somewhat common and usually well-reported issue.

And I don't know Katrin's mindset when she asked, "Was she fat" but to me, at least, it comes across with a whiff of "fatty got what she deserved for being fat."
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed more like a bad joke to me.

And usually posting that someone was being stupid without elaborating indicates that the stupidity is so obvious that elaborating would be condesending.

Poor girl. I wonder what caused it (the articles said that they don't think it was ride related). Isn't it sad that, because of the way the media works, the result of the autopsy won't be nearly as widely known if it turns out that her death truely wasn't ride related?

mouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason why i love dro is he says the things i think, except calmly and reasonably. and with links.

and in fact i do try to enlighten people, if i feel they are capable of acheiving enlightenment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: