welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Favorite Television
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 52, 53, 54  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it's mainly about making sure people know cat body language and that there are things cats can climb on. Also that cats aren't dogs and hitting them is a bad idea.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, duh.....

seriously, people need to be told that? (besides, hitting dogs isn't a great idea either)

so what are the cats doing that can be stopped by paying attention to their signals and letting them climb on stuff?
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complaining about lack of attention, athletic activity, and scenery!

I would get jittery if I didn't have my exercise or my lofty view. Ruler of all I survey and all that.

When Jeeves is around, I never lack attention, bless him.

Also, hitting cats is a barbaric and infeline activity. Who would dare!
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cats are scratching and biting people, attacking dogs, vomiting, being annoying while people are trying to sleep. One cat purposely attacked everyone but her favorite person, and it turned out that cat needed anxiety meds. Oh, and not being affectionate. Another one had a bad fall once, got older, and developed arthritis in that spot - and would hiss and bite because people kept insisting on petting that spot.

A lot of people don't understand cats at all, and they buy into this idea that cats hate people - so they misinterpret a lot of stuff. Like 'revenge vomit' and 'revenge pee' - which is actually 'stress or sickness related vomit in a place that smells comforting' and 'territorial or stress or sickness related pissing in places that need to smell like me.' So they react to cats in a way that only confirms the idea cats are conniving mean, making the problem worse.

The climbing on stuff lets them feel safe because they can see everything in their territory from a safe vantage point. And paying attention to their signals means people notice when the cat is saying, "I'm overstimulated, back off while I go chill."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Complaining about lack of attention, athletic activity, and scenery!

I would get jittery if I didn't have my exercise or my lofty view. Ruler of all I survey and all that.

When Jeeves is around, I never lack attention, bless him.

Also, hitting cats is a barbaric and infeline activity. Who would dare!

You clearly need this cat tree: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jxT3fvzsREM/TaxhtTEH05I/AAAAAAAAADw/FU9qI9q9plI/s1600/worldslargestcattreeinAngelsForAnimals.jpg

(Which I found linked to here: http://fine-frugality.blogspot.com/2011/04/different-cat-tree-pics.html)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips on why they insist on waking me up at 4am for food? Or why Nuisance continues to poop outside the box even when the litter was recently changed?
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do both cats share the same box? sometimes that's a territorial/submission thing. some older cats do that because they are having trouble getting into the box. and apparently some of them just don't like how certain brands of litter feel - have you recently changed brands? or you could try changing brands. (sounds like your cats are active enough not to have trouble getting into the box, don't know about their interpersonal - intercatinal? - relationship).

i have been building my dream house in my mind for some years now, the center of it will be a geodesic dome. i now know what will be in the center of that dome.

mine don't wake me for food - possibly because they always have dry food available, probably because my schedule (and hence their feeding times) are so irregular they probably figure they should be happy to get wet food at all.

the only problem i really have with mine is that freddy keeps pulling down the bath towel and peeing on it. he used to pee on the bathmat, which is right next to the litter box, and which i put down to some confusion on his part (sometimes freddy finds the world a bit overwhelming). he has regularly attacked the bath towel, which i figured was part of his general antipathy to linens. but the pulling it down and peeing on it..that's new. victory peeing?

but yeah, the people who think cats are aloof and hate people and all that - honestly, they are just not paying attention.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Any tips on why they insist on waking me up at 4am for food? Or why Nuisance continues to poop outside the box even when the litter was recently changed?

I dunno about the whining. Some cats just do that. If you can consistently ignore them, that should make it better. One of our cats wakes me up at 3:00, 4:00, etc, because he is cold or has trouble sleeping. Sometimes he panics and wants to know wherer his people are. This cat has brain issues, though.

It might be the type of litter you are using, or a problem with sharing the litter box. Sometimes it is arthritis or some other medical problem. One cat I knew who had an even more dysfunctional brain actually used to take his poop out of the box and bat it around as a toy. (The other cats in his group looked on in horror.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is probably a whole study to be done on cats and their refusal to let people sleep. i call my girl-cat my alarmcat, because when she sets herself to wake me up, she's pretty efficient. really hard to set, though - i told her last night i needed to be up early for a meeting this morning, so she started waking me up pretty much immediately after i went to bed...and then stopped about 5 am, so i still nearly overslept.

maybe it's payback for when we wake them up - you know, like when you pet them, or insist on getting up when they are on your lap. i would do a study, but i think i lack the self-control.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a whim, I decided to start watching Mad Men.

Every episode so far has had at least one moment that's made me say "punch him! Punch him in the dick!"
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I just finished all of Orange is the New Black between today and yesterday. There was a lot to like, but Imdon't even know what to think. Worth watching, for sure, wish I'd known the second season won't be available till June before watching it, though.

Almost done with season one here. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it took me three episodes to realize that Red was Kate Mulgrew Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Netflix these days, or pirate. I hardly ever use TV for anything that isn't related to a my console. I've finished Orange is the New Black, good show.

But my best time-investment with Netflix was definitely watching all of Battlestar Galactica.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been catching up on Doctor Who, Tennant is still my favorite doctor, but they've done some damn clever stuff with Smith.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost completely out of shows to watch. Is Orphan Black any good?

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Jabberjay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister vouches for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 53 of 54

Jump to: