Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII Reply with quote

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII

In a phrase: it's very pretty and very short. Square Enix really rushed this one out the door.

Gameplay: It functions as a 3rd/1st person shooter. The "Easy" mode includes some auto-aim assists, while "Hard" mode requires you to actually manually point and shoot. "Hard" is pretty much impossible playing with a controller, but the game does support keyboard/mouse. There are a few control issues that feel like the programmers just got lazy; your melee attacks are difficult to use accurately, because despite the large sweeping animations, your target zone is very small. Exploration consists of standard FPS tasks; kill X creatures, kill X creatures before they get to X location, protect X civilians, get to X location without the guards seeing you, etc. Nothing is too terribly difficult, and the game is good about providing you with items (or opportunities to buy them). Ultimately, the game resorts to very cheap tactics to create challenge - a cut scene puts you in the middle of a room with enemies all around you, a situation that would NEVER actually arise for a reasonably experienced FPS gamer, a boss that can chain stun you - and the stark change in difficulty when those tactics arose was very frustrating.

Since it IS a FF game, Vincent has the opportunity to level up, but the game never really explains what this does for you, besides giving you more HP. More often than not, I converted my EXP to gil to upgrade my weapons, which had a much more visible effect. Customizing the guns was fun, to a point, but in the long run I felt like I wasn't really doing much, and I never really got the hang of the finer points of the customization process.

The big minus in the gameplay department is the game's brevity; including time spent wandering around learning how to play properly, I beat the game in less than 10 hours. NOT acceptable.

Sound: The lack of either Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda shows. Also, the voice actors are, for the most part, pretty terrible - about as bad as the ones in FFX (possibly also Advent Children, but I've never watched it with the English voice actors).

Graphics: Very pretty; the best yet on the PS2. Character animations are smooth, lighting is dynamic and accurate, backgrounds and surfaces are vivid and appropriate. CGI cut scenes are done by the same team that produced Advent Children, and are of the same calibre.

Plot: If you're a fan of FFVII, this game (or an online synopsis) is pretty much a must-have. It fills in a lot of holes and further explores a lot of the characters that got thrown to the side in VII. Vincent is a worthy character, and one who didn't get nearly enough attention in the first game.

Overall: Purchase, 2/10. Rent, 6/10. Rent, as a FF fanboy, 8/10.
Varst Kolcimb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sooooo pretty... *drools a little* I'm getting it any way... Ooo look it's shiny too...
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on my "rent" list, not my "buy" list for pretty much all the reasons you listed.
Dusty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when did this come out? I've been reading hype about this for a year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: