welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question: What's the highest resolution you've seen?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Question: What's the highest resolution you've seen? Reply with quote

Although it's generally not-done I'd like to use a huge image as a background for a website I'm designing, the idea is that you usually only see the center but then if you make the window bigger you see the rest of the image. The problem with this is that (unless you can shop some nice repetitive bit) at some point you'll run out of image. Luckily I have a rather large one I'd like to use, but just in case: what's the highest resolution you've encountered/know of on any screen used for browsing?
mantismag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you make it really big it will take a really long time to load. do you really want your background to load long after the rest of your page?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 19" runs at 1280x1024, but that's not touching the top-end. You can easily find monitors up to 1920x1200. That's widescreen, though. In a 4:3 format you'd probably be safe with 1600x1200.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mantismag wrote:
if you make it really big it will take a really long time to load. do you really want your background to load long after the rest of your page?

well lowering the jpg quality can get that down & there's ways to preload stuff no?
eWoud

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2560 x 1600 - the current 30" generation. My guess is that visitors will close the site before it's loaded half way.

<- 1400x1050 and it's getting crowded.
Dro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monitors will be getting bigger and bigger.

use this to take your own background image.

Last edited by Dro on Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
John Mytton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny-Popular Science said it was a gigapixel.

Either way, it's awesome.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Monitors will be getting bigger and bigger.

use this to take your own background image.

:p

It's big enough as it is but thanks
As for monitors getting bigger, at some stage you're not gonna maximise the windows or double the pixels to be able to actually load any webpage no?
Marik

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: claustroscreenophobia Reply with quote

Mine goes up to 2560x1600.

I always have it at 1600x1200 and everyone else who uses it is all like

WEH I CAN'T READ

... But seriously, if I have it at any single smaller resolution, I feel like I have no graphical operating space whatsoever.
Flion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop is at 1920x1200 and it's still not enough real estate for me. *Drools over Marik's screen* I usually end up bumping up the font for people with less than perfect vision (I'm 20/10 both eyes). As for load times, I took a screenshot and loaded it on my webspace and then downloaded it using Firefox. It is a 300k JPEG and took less than a second to download and display. Hey, if you're not on broadband, move over to the slow lane of the internet highway... Razz IE and Firefox reduce images to fit (unless the HTML specifically prevents it), so the image should fit any resolution but that means you need to choose and format the image carefully to avoid resizing artifacts.
Drui

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is at 1024x768, and I'm happy with that.
mantismag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
mantismag wrote:

well lowering the jpg quality can get that down & there's ways to preload stuff no?

lower the jpg quality enough to get a reasonable load time on a large image and it will look like crap. you get all kinds of funny lines and blocks of color. and preload it how? if they're just getting to your site how would you have any control over what they did before they got there? if you mean forcing the background to load first then that just means your visitors will see absolutely nothing until they download your ginormous pic.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mantismag wrote:
Michael wrote:
mantismag wrote:

lower the jpg quality enough to get a reasonable load time on a large image and it will look like crap. you get all kinds of funny lines and blocks of color. and preload it how? if they're just getting to your site how would you have any control over what they did before they got there? if you mean forcing the background to load first then that just means your visitors will see absolutely nothing until they download your ginormous pic.

Flion wrote:
As for load times, I took a screenshot and loaded it on my webspace and then downloaded it using Firefox. It is a 300k JPEG and took less than a second to download and display.
It took me about four. Anyway, I can easily get it to 350k without it looking crap, it's a photograph (mostly of the sea) not some shiny 3D graphic so jpeg handles that great.

2. It's not a new google I'm designing here I just want several glossy fronts for my new site so load times aren't an issue.

3. Lots of sites have a little (flash) loadbar up front.

4. I've designed a few sites & I know most of the problems with this approach but I still want to do this. I appreciate what you're telling me here but it's not what I'm after.
mantismag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. not everyone has broadband and remember that's time just for your background image. what about the rest of your site?

2. if you want people who aren't your friends to look at your site it's an issue

3. and people hate them

4. ok if you really don't care then this'll be my last post on the subject. i just figured since i've actually taken classes for this and spend a large portion of my time reading books and articles about it as well as of course actually creating a website or two that i ought to chime in.
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 1600x1200.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: