welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Impeachevich!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The span of his remaining political career can now be measured in weeks.
tinkeringIdiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the number of talk show hosts mauled by the angry muskrat he keeps on his head.
bad*lil*kitty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
not that i'm surprised, but it now sounds like burris not only was solicited for contributions by blago, he'd gone so far as to raise funds for him. and, y'know, lied-by-omission to congress about it.

resigned by st. pat's day, or white-washed by feb 28th?

place your bets.

Oh, he won't resign. That's not very Chicago Politician of him. White washed by feb 28th.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
not that i'm surprised, but it now sounds like burris not only was solicited for contributions by blago, he'd gone so far as to raise funds for him. and, y'know, lied-by-omission to congress about it.

actually, it's worse than that:
Quote:
Only a night earlier, Mr. Burris, a Democrat, had provided yet another new, jolting disclosure about his ties to Mr. Blagojevichís closest allies: In the month or two before Mr. Blagojevich appointed him, Mr. Burris, 71, tried, without success, to raise money for the governor, he acknowledged, at the request of the governorís brother.

tried but failed to raise money.

a politician who can't raise money is roadkill. one way or another, he'll be out before too long.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right. that's a significant and pathetic detail.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(fmr. lt.)gov. quinn will try to hold a special election for burris's seat if he does not resign within the next two weeks.

Quote:
But Quinn called for the special election after state Attorney General Lisa Madigan issued a legal opinion [7] Wednesday that said the state could enact the new law.

Under the 17th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, a governor's appointments to fill Senate vacancies should be considered temporary until an election is held, Madigan said...

Now the issue heads to the Illinois legislature, where Burris still has some allies.

considering that madigan might toss her own hat in the special-election ring, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes someone to call her legal opinion into question due to conflict-of-interest.

...honestly, i can't decide if illinois or minnesota has the more interesting soap opera going on...
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that reminds me, i haven't heard anything about minnesota recently - are they still recounting?
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg, yes.

talking points memo has a very detailed running commentary going by a guy named eric kleefeld. he has at least half a dozen posts from yesterday alone.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuppers. Back in the realm of Dirty But Clever Political Tricks, the GOP is pumping coleman full of funds for legal challenges in order to keep the democrats down a seat during Obama's lead-in period since Franken can't get seated until they give up the ghost.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it looks like it is being handled with the usual level of incompetence we have come to expect from republicans.

it's not looking like they are doing themselves any favors denying obama another senate democrat, either - all they seem to be doing is solidifying the voters' opinions that they are just being negative and obstructionist.

it's really sad to see what the party of lincoln has come to.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

what the party of lincoln has come to.
de lay, gingrich, steele and bachman, to point to some of the more stellar highlights
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
it's really sad to see what the party of lincoln has come to.

I do not consent, in any way, to the assertion that those who identify themselves as Republicans today are members of "the party of Lincoln." I understand that you meant it as a form of mockery, but I've seen it being brought up in the news as a positive thing for the GOP, which ignores that the Republicans of today are only Republican because they followed the trend set by Strom Thurmond when he left the Democratic party (after his brief foray as a Dixicrat) when they started supporting civil rights issues. This after their previous shift to being Democrats, from being Republicans, like Lincoln, because of the emphasis on, you know, freeing slaves and shit. The political ancestry of the modern Republican is about as opposite to being the party of Lincoln as is possible without a candidate running on the Fuck Minorities ticket.

Sorry, as I said, I do understand (and support) the mocking intent, but it always touches a nerve when I see it said seriously, and I just read through the Torture thread so I have a lot of dragonwriter-induced vitriol in my system.
Secret

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Coleman is obviously being a litigious dick for his puppeteers, he can't keep it up much longer. Short of Franken's lawyers dropping dead in the courtroom while the suit continues, no tactic that Coleman tries can possibly yield him the number of votes that he needs. Franken, in all likelihood, won't even need to present a case.

Coleman is also obliged to pay Franken's legal fees if (when) he loses. Which makes his budget about half of Franken's, given similar actual cash on hand.

It's a lovely farce that means I only have one senator right now. But hey, I'll know my other when he finally gets in!
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't mean it as mocking; i'm genuinely saddened. you look at the history of the republican party - from lincoln, holding the union together, creating a true nation (do you know that before the civil war, "the united states" was a plural noun, and afterwards, it was singular?) - through teddy roosevelt, busting trusts and starting the environmental protection that the u.s. has done....and then you look at what the party is today, and how they've become the antithesis of their genesis and history, and it's just sad. it really, really is.

a genuine, honest conservative party, with a true devotion to fiscal conservatism, could genuinely strengthen this country. this lot is just a joke.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
Coleman is also obliged to pay Franken's legal fees if (when) he loses.

this is a lovely bit of news.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: