welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Impeachevich!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Mr_Moustache wrote:
Im not a fan of the american economy package either. But then again, im doing a study directly focused on china (well, for at least a few more months) so:

Go Obama!

(You americans just dont get it do you? Loaning does not work wonders. far from it. You got in this mess because you loaned/lended to careless in the first place. Now this. *le sigh*)

But, but...

"Credit is the lifeblood of our economy." ~B. Obama

The statement is true.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
gally912 wrote:
How much has the government spent, total, anyways?

When compared to the reckless spending of the last eight years -- a metric shitload.

I followed that graphic back to the source and was treated to a hilariously stupid blog.

I see that their analysis of econ is about as worthwhile as their analysis of climatology.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
I followed that graphic back to the source and was treated to a hilariously stupid blog.

I see that their analysis of econ is about as worthwhile as their analysis of climatology.

The Congressional Budget Office is the source of the data.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The presentation of the CBO's data is simplified to make a dramatic 'point.'

The reason why that line has grown so significantly is because Obama has changed the rules of presenting our surplus to more accurately represent the actual costs being incurred by present policy, not to mention that the projection includes the credit restoration spending that Bush (rightfully!) called for. That, along with the potential revision category, makes for a somewhat unrepresentative 'Oh Shit!' graph.

Each previous year's tally for the deficit as tallied under the CBO, for instance, completely omitted the costs of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Obama restored that tally to the official deficit projection. And now, in response to this, people are trying to turn it into visual data that misses the real issue.

If the general point they're trying to make is 'we are spending a shit-ton of money right now' .. yes, duh? The economic crisis is new, so the spending necessity is new. There's a reason to spend, now. It's because we're trying to salvage our economic infrastructure from what would happen to it if the fed just sat back and let 20-30 years of our economic development go down the shitter. Everyone else is doing this too, because it's the only viable option. The Republicans would be spending about as much money, they would just have approved a bill that spends money in marginally different ways. Russia is spending money to hit the Keynesian quotient. So is China. So is Europe.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the uproar about how the costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan weren't accounted for in the annual budgets under Bush, if the total hidden costs for all the so-called Global War on Terror operations combined from fiscal years 2001-2008 (roughly $805.1 billion) were added to the 2008 budget, it would be approximately equal to the January '09 projection.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
For all the uproar about how the costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan weren't accounted for in the annual budgets under Bush

"uproar," in this contextual case apparently having the given meaning "determination that it is critical knowledge to factor into understanding why provided graphs and statements about the budget are misleading"

since given that definition, yes, there is uproar.

I tend to like to have 'uproar' about important factual considerations.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagojevich gets 14 years.
zeezee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't drop the soap, blago.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was his hair sentenced separately?
zeezee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Was his hair sentenced separately?

excellent!

eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a lifetime resident of the great state of Illinois...I say GOOD RIDDANCE!!
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think the whole "Chicago Machine" thing was silly, or just a story, or something kept alive by each party to be able to claim the other party was corrupt... but then Blagojevich came along, and was sentenced to jail time for corruption. He became governor after their previous governor was sent to jail for corruption. I mean... seriously, Illinois?
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently corruption really is an illinois tradition
Quote:
Reach as far back into Illinois history as you like and your hands will likely come out dirty. Blagojevich is the sixth Illinois governor to be subjected to arrest or indictment ó seventh if you count Joel Aldrich Matteson (governor from 1853-1857), who tried to cash $200,000 of stolen government scrip he "found" in a shoebox. Matteson pulled a "how-did-that-get-there?" excuse and escaped indictment by promising to pay it back. (Oddly, this isn't Illinois's only shoebox-full-of-money scandal; after former secretary of state Paul Powell's death in 1970, a search of his home revealed shoeboxes full of hundreds of thousands of dollars in checks made out to him by unsuspecting Illinois residents who thought they were paying license plate registration fees).

eureka00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to mention the mob now. Their fingers are on everything.

Also, The Godfather game banner ad is up while I'm posting this. Hahaha..oh god they're watchin me.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather the Mob than a Mexican Drug Car--*gunshots*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: