welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE SPORT THREAD, FOR SPORTS AND REX KWAN DOE ENTHUSIASTS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

England beat Pakistan with two days to spare. Panesar & Harmison trash the Pakistan batsmen to seal a win with an inning to spare. I know you don't understand any of that, but it's good. Trust me.

Jayawardene & Sangakkara hit 624 between them. World record partnership.

Gaitlin Fails Drugs Test - is nothing sacred? Hahahaha, had you going. Of course not.

And yes, Carrick to Utd is sad, since I think he was the key to Spurs' season ... Zikora may do well though, so all is not lost. And Spurs couldn't keep spending for ever, could they?
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from: http://football.guardian.co.uk/Fiver/0,,1834338,00.html

Quote:
Peruvian side Alianza Lima have blamed ball boys for a brawl which marred the end of their 3-2 defeat at rivals Melgar. The ruck was sparked when a pint-sized pitch-dweller hid the ball from an Alianza player and quickly spiralled out of control, with three players sent off and riot police called to break up the trouble. "The Arequipa people were hostile to us from the moment we arrived," moaned Alianza's Guillermo Salas. "And the ball boys provoked us."

Alianza are Peru's biggest and most prestigious club. They're noted not only for their success on the field, but also their good work off it, as a vocal community platform for anti-racist sentiment.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In baseball, what does it mean when a bat is 'corked'?

I'm aware that it's a form of cheating (1994 Bat Burglary), and also that Jason Grimsely may have been the stupidest man ever ... the Bat Burglar, getting involved with BALCO, joining the Diamond Backs.
Natashabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Taylorbell wrote:
In baseball, what does it mean when a bat is 'corked'?

Wikipedia wrote:
In baseball, a corked bat is a specially modified baseball bat that has been filled with cork or similar light, less dense substances to make the bat lighter without losing much power. A lighter bat gives a hitter a quicker swing and may improve the hitter's timing. However, since the bat is lighter, the ball does not necessarily travel as far as with a heavier bat, but usually only by a few feet at most. In Major League Baseball, modifying a bat with foreign substances and using it in play is illegal and subject to ejection and further punishment.
maniac_wolfman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Taylorbell wrote:
what does it mean when a bat is 'corked'?

I'll tell you when you're older.

*wink*
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nat. (Given that I was using Wiki at the time, it seems dumb to have asked on here, but thanks anyway).

maniac_wolfman wrote:
Uncle Taylorbell wrote:
what does it mean when a bat is 'corked'?

I'll tell you when you're older.

*wink*

Someone explain baseball to me. We get games shown over here in the early hours, two or three times a week. It's as confusing to me as cricket must be to many Americans, but I can't help feeling I could grow to love it.
Natashabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... Baseball is unique and I'm bored so I'll do my best to actually explain it, without using a website for reference.

Here's the field for easy reference:

The field is pretty basic. The runners will move around the plates in a counter clockwise order, starting at the Home Plate at the bottom. The small rectangles on either side of Home are the Batter's Box, which is where the batter stands. The pitcher stands on the pitcher's mound in the center and is required to keep one foot touching the white strip there until the ball leaves his hand.

The game is not timed, you just play 9 "innings" which are divided into halves, the "top" and the "bottom". Each team gets three "outs" per inning. Which means there are 6 outs per inning total and 54 in the whole game. An out is when a batter gets three strikes or a runner is tagged by the ball (more or less... more info in the rest of the post).

The two teams take turns playing the field, in the 9 positions shown in the illustration while the other team is "at bat". The pitcher's job is like the bowler (I think). They have to throw the baseball over home plate (the pentagonal plate at the bottom which isn't marked GRRRRR!) within an area called the "strike zone", which is roughly between the batter's knees and shoulders, and the same width as Home Base. The ball must make it to the catcher without bouncing.

If the batter decides that the ball is a strike, he swings at it, trying to hit it into the field, within the "fair" area (inside the longer white lines on the diagram). If the batter hits the ball but it does not stay in fair teritory, it is a foul ball and counts as a strike, but never the third strike. This is one of the odd rules that often confuses people. Essentially a batter can hit foul balls all day if he wants to and never get an out.

If the batter swings and misses, that is a strike. Three strikes and he's out (as the saying goes). If the batter does not swing he either gets a Strike or a Ball depending on whether it's inside the strike zone or not. This is decided by the Umpire, who stands behind the Catcher. If a player gets 4 balls he gets a Walk, which means he gets to go to first base for free.

If the batter hits the ball, he immediately starts running for first base (now he's the runner, not the batter). If the hit ball is caught before it ever touches the ground, the runner is immediately out. Otherwise, the fielding team has to tag the runner with the ball (they can not just throw the ball at the runner, it has to be in the possesion of a player when it touches the runner). If they do not succeed in tagging the runner before he is safe on a base, the runner gets to stay there and another batter comes out and play continues.

If the ball is hit past the end of the outfield (into the stands or out of the park) that is a home run, and the batter (and any other runners currently on base) gets to run all the bases for free, scoring a point (each). If a home run is scored when all the bases are occupied, "fully loaded" that is called a Grand Slam, and is worth a total of 4 points.

While on base the runner will often move towards the next base and is sometimes able to "steal" the base by running for it and making it without being tagged, although if they are tagged, they are out. One of the funniest parts of baseball is when the runner gets in a "pickle" which means they are caught between two of the fielders and trying to get to one base or the other while the fielders throw the ball back and forth.

Um... that's about it as far as the basics go... It's pretty much the same thing over and over and over again.

Games usually last about 3 hours.

The best pitchers are known for their Ks (strikeouts, from the use of the letter K to keep track of strikes in the stat book) and a pitcher that has a perfect game never lets a player get a hit for all of the 27 batters in a game.

More Baseball definitions available here.

Sorry, that was a lot longer than I thought it would be. Hope it helps. If you want any clarifications, let me know.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nat, that was so much more useful than reading the wiki articles, etc.

But, in baseball, can you do this?

Shane Warne. Wanker / Genius.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natashabi wrote:
Well... Baseball is unique and I'm bored so I'll do my best to actually explain it, without using a website for reference.

Here's the field for easy reference:

The field is pretty basic. The runners will move around the plates in a counter clockwise order, starting at the Home Plate at the bottom. The small rectangles on either side of Home are the Batter's Box, which is where the batter stands. The pitcher stands on the pitcher's mound in the center and is required to keep one foot touching the white strip there until the ball leaves his hand.

The game is not timed, you just play 9 "innings" which are divided into halves, the "top" and the "bottom". Each team gets three "outs" per inning. Which means there are 6 outs per inning total and 54 in the whole game. An out is when a batter gets three strikes or a runner is tagged by the ball (more or less... more info in the rest of the post).

The two teams take turns playing the field, in the 9 positions shown in the illustration while the other team is "at bat". The pitcher's job is like the bowler (I think). They have to throw the baseball over home plate (the pentagonal plate at the bottom which isn't marked GRRRRR!) within an area called the "strike zone", which is roughly between the batter's knees and shoulders, and the same width as Home Base. The ball must make it to the catcher without bouncing.

If the batter decides that the ball is a strike, he swings at it, trying to hit it into the field, within the "fair" area (inside the longer white lines on the diagram). If the batter hits the ball but it does not stay in fair teritory, it is a foul ball and counts as a strike, but never the third strike. This is one of the odd rules that often confuses people. Essentially a batter can hit foul balls all day if he wants to and never get an out.

If the batter swings and misses, that is a strike. Three strikes and he's out (as the saying goes). If the batter does not swing he either gets a Strike or a Ball depending on whether it's inside the strike zone or not. This is decided by the Umpire, who stands behind the Catcher. If a player gets 4 balls he gets a Walk, which means he gets to go to first base for free.

If the batter hits the ball, he immediately starts running for first base (now he's the runner, not the batter). If the hit ball is caught before it ever touches the ground, the runner is immediately out. Otherwise, the fielding team has to tag the runner with the ball (they can not just throw the ball at the runner, it has to be in the possesion of a player when it touches the runner). If they do not succeed in tagging the runner before he is safe on a base, the runner gets to stay there and another batter comes out and play continues.

If the ball is hit past the end of the outfield (into the stands or out of the park) that is a home run, and the batter (and any other runners currently on base) gets to run all the bases for free, scoring a point (each). If a home run is scored when all the bases are occupied, "fully loaded" that is called a Grand Slam, and is worth a total of 4 points.

While on base the runner will often move towards the next base and is sometimes able to "steal" the base by running for it and making it without being tagged, although if they are tagged, they are out. One of the funniest parts of baseball is when the runner gets in a "pickle" which means they are caught between two of the fielders and trying to get to one base or the other while the fielders throw the ball back and forth.

Um... that's about it as far as the basics go... It's pretty much the same thing over and over and over again.

Games usually last about 3 hours.

The best pitchers are known for their Ks (strikeouts, from the use of the letter K to keep track of strikes in the stat book) and a pitcher that has a perfect game never lets a player get a hit for all of the 27 batters in a game.

More Baseball definitions available here.

Sorry, that was a lot longer than I thought it would be. Hope it helps. If you want any clarifications, let me know.

(It's like rounders but with hotdogs)
John Mytton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Taylorbell wrote:

I don't understand what's happened.
Natashabi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mytton wrote:
Uncle Taylorbell wrote:

I don't understand what's happened.

Um, if I watched it correctly, the ball has the correct spin to bounce, take a different trajectory and end up behind the batsman, knocking down the wicket...

I don't think that's a usual thing...

and No... that's not possible in baseball. I think I mentioned that you have to pitch the ball over the plate without it bouncing on the way there.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 A GUD TIME CALL 0898-GREEK DEFENCE; SHAMELESSLY WILL MASSAGE YOUR NATION'S EGO WHILST YUO PLUG ALL IT'S DIRTY HOLES; GREEK DEFENCE LUVS YOU TO SPANK HER!

England are playing a warm-up game in the rain, in a half-empty stadium, not really putting too much effort in, and yet are 4-0 up a few minutes prior to half-time.

Also, pls talk about sports some, kthx.

*edit*

Half-time is called, and I'm amazed that the whole Greek team (European Champions, somehow), don't all climb into a ludicrously small car, whilst wearing huge shoes, then putter off to the sidelines, where the car doors hilariously fall off.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooooo Ireland Sad
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha. about time Huntelaar got a run. so, why does every hate Van Nistelrooy all of a sudden?

ps, Michael, I changed it back - just for you!

pps, world champions Italy are losing to Croatia, 0-2.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Embarassed

I wuv you man! And all those things like time and space and gender will never come between us! 4REAL
Seriously, thanks! seeing that av just makes me go GOOD TIMES!

Van Basten says he just picks whoever's playing best at the moment. So if you're sitting on the bench you won't get in at all... something like that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: