welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New Newbie Waystation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I just made my first post somewhere else, but uh... second post ftw?

I've been following Sinfest for a couple of years; it took me a stupidly long time to realise that there was a very active forum around the comics, and then a while longer to sign up as my account kept getting deleted with the spam. But I've been lurking regularly and reading the discussion threads, gathering information on the best way to start a full-scale forum riot. Twisted Evil

...Did I say that last part out loud?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread isn't exactly a "post here first or else!" thread

it's more a "several years ago an oldbie referring to themselves as Secret wrote what they thought were good guidelines for using these forums at the time and demanded that you read them" thread

which is kind of dumb
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, no, at the time the first of these threads was created (and for years and years after) that's exactly what this thread was. We had so many registrants who would start a "hello, world!" thread wherever they felt like that they were getting in the way (not to mention their threads being generally useless). So we sent new people here, to try and contain the spawn of new, useless threads.

In fact, we used to be kind of mean if you posted anywhere else first. This is the new, gentler Sinfest.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god we're getting soft in our old age.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A harsh warning against making a pointless "hello!" thread is enough.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrugs* the forum has changed a lot in the decade or so since the first of these threads appeared. At the time, those of us who were here thought it was a good idea. It's less important now (though we still carry on the tradition of mocking people who make, "hello, world!" threads), but there's no reason to invent history about it.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
A harsh warning against making a pointless "hello!" thread is enough.

I am gentle compared to the way this place used to be.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: my first post Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
tofo wrote:
Panel 4, is that a crotch shot?

no.

okay, there

I've posted my first post in this thread now

FOR HISTORY.

TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... yeah, I didn't know this was a thing until today...
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what really happened with me and this thread is that I read the first few posts in it shortly before I joined, thought, "Well, that's stoooopid," and then maybe I read the most recent few posts, thought, "Kind of like the 'HELLO LOOK AT ME I AM NEW' subforums in other places, then. NEH. STOOOOOOOPID*" and then promptly forgot about it.

That, or my brain is making fake memories. Which is a thing brains do. Human memory is terribly unreliable.

*I'd been on other forums before that didn't have any designated "introduce yourself!" area, and people weren't making loads of pointless introductory threads there, so I didn't have the context behind the perceived necessity. Maybe because those were skills-related forums and most newbies were just looking for specific advice?
WellYesYouMay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I suppose I'm new again. I probably haven't shown up in at least 5 years, and I tend to have a new username whenever I do pop in to lurk and occasionally post. I go so long in between brief periods of activity that I forget the old ones.
I started reading around 2001 I think? I don't remember exactly. I know I was reading it by the time I was 20 because my old roommate used to read it over my shoulder and then chide me for keeping him awake with webcomics.
I drifted off for a few years because it just wasn't doing it for me anymore and then checked back on a whim, only to find Sisterhood awesomeness and become totally hooked again. Eventually I started checking the forums again. I mostly lurk. If I ever vanish- I'll probably be back in another 5 years. *grins*
anti-prophet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I would reintroduce myself. I am a broken human, although not allot more broken than the average. I appreciate civility and dislike words being twisted, although often it is of no ones direct fault as it is all in the interpretation. I believe all people to be my equals until they individually prove to be my greater or lesser in certain areas, although this does not mean they should be treated differently unless the situation becomes hostile. I understand that women on average are physically weaker than men but I also believe that does not make women less than men. It simply means that one can lift more than the other and in our society that should have little bearing, although it does because of people who do bad things with their strength.

So we can get this out of the way does anyone have any questions of any of my beliefs or anything?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No questions at this time, your honor.

I'll wait to see what you say in conversations.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
No questions at this time, your honor.

I'll wait to see what you say in conversations.

Ok thank you, sounds fair.
Varthonai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, hi. I'm a long-time SinFest reader and I've been a forum lurker for about a year. I'm in the middle of a confusing time about my sexuality and gender identity and some recent strips have been making those feelings more painful.

Some of my concerns about the message of the comic have been raised by other folks (admittedly with less forethought and level-headedness than I would have tried to use), who've mostly been shouted down and called names, and that scares me a lot and makes me think I might have made a terrible mistake by coming here. But I've also seen you guys have discussions elsewhere in the forums about gender and sexuality that have been very positive and given me some insight and made me feel like I could grow a little by being an active participant. So... here I am, for better or worse.

I don't want to cause trouble and I don't want to be a repeat of folks like rothide so if you guys think that's all I'm going to amount to I can leave now before I just make things worse Embarassed I'm just trying to find one LGBT-friendly space where I can learn how to deal with the pain from people with more experience, without living in constant fear of being tarred and feathered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Forum Guidelines All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 47 of 50

Jump to: