welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Healthcare Rant 2: Die Harder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
Boy, the healthcare law dropped off the news radar way faster than I'd anticipated.

even when the major right-wing pundits and movement leaders were talking big about making the democrats suffer for this outrage and this 'death blow to democracy' etc etc you could almost palpably feel the air deflating out of this thing.

They had to wage a war of apoplectic, apocalyptic frenzy-building to maintain this in an attempt to keep it from going through. Given that the level of outrage and discomfort was very artificial to begin with AND that most of the actions of the bill are embarrassingly approvable on their own (this part keeps you from denying coverage to children based on 'pre existing conditions' OMG KILL THE BILL).

yeah even in good conditions for maintaining outrage you can't sustain that sort of emotion or appeals to fear.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random stories on healthcare if anybody's still interested in the subject.

Henry Waxman called off an investigation into major corporations' claims that a provision in the new healthcare reforms will hurt their bottom line. Those companies will no longer receive a tax break on the federal subsidies they're getting for drug benefits of their retirees. However, other aspects of healthcare reform may lower the overall cost of healthcare for those companies. For some reason, the idea of getting a tax break on federal subsidies for major businesses is bending my brain.

The new law also creates another layer of safety net for the elderly by expanding Medicaid coverage for home care, and setting up a nationwide insurance plan employees can opt into that could benefit them about $75 per day of home care after they retire.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfEFwbRBupk&feature=related
So yeah where's the Tommy Douglas of the U.S?
nathan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Random stories on healthcare if anybody's still interested in the subject.

Henry Waxman called off an investigation into major corporations' claims that a provision in the new healthcare reforms will hurt their bottom line. Those companies will no longer receive a tax break on the federal subsidies they're getting for drug benefits of their retirees. However, other aspects of healthcare reform may lower the overall cost of healthcare for those companies. For some reason, the idea of getting a tax break on federal subsidies for major businesses is bending my brain.

The new law also creates another layer of safety net for the elderly by expanding Medicaid coverage for home care, and setting up a nationwide insurance plan employees can opt into that could benefit them about $75 per day of home care after they retire.

Yeah, my father quoted that shit at me (after reading it in an Ag industry periodical) so I went and did some reading. It was such a disingenuous, trumped up claim it's almost beyond belief that major corporations all signed on. They're pissed that they can no longer write off taxpayer dollars they received, and not only had the balls to claim it was drastically increasing their costs (despite the fact that they still get the subsidy - they just can't write it off!), but the numbers they threw up as "WHAT WE'RE LOSING THIS YEAR ALONE!" were the adjustments of that loss extrapolated over the 30 years or so they expect to be paying for Billy-Bob's retirement care.

It's such a flat out lie, and yet another example of something I'll be encountering and refuting in local conversations for the next year or two.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the tea party's contract from america:

Quote:
7) defund, repeal and replace government-run health care

which would be medicare, the VA, military health care.....

i can see the health care debate is going to be one of those gotta-laugh-to-keep-from-crying things for a while, yet.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

Quote:

i can see the health care debate is going to be one of those gotta-laugh-to-keep-from-crying things for a while, yet.

Yes, that point needs to be hammered home to all the Teabaggers.

Here's the text version of their contract. Notice:
Quote:
The most powerful, proven instrument of material and social progress is the free market. The market economy, driven by the accumulated expressions of individual economic choices, is the only economic system that preserves and enhances individual liberty. Any other economic system, regardless of its intended pragmatic benefits, undermines our fundamental rights as free people.

Right, that's why black people and women can vote! Free-market economics! I want to punch somebody for this.
Notice that some of these issues were only approved of with a low-fifties percent vote. TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY! And the criteria that any new tax code to replace the entire bulk of the IRS has to consist of 4,543 words or less because that's how long the original Constitution is? What a stupid way to decide anything.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basically, they are saying 4,543 words is all you should ever need to set up a system?

....so what do they make of the bible?
Him

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

Quote:

Well, to be fair the republicans back in the day were very much against medicare.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
mouse wrote:

Quote:

Well, to be fair the republicans back in the day were very much against medicare.

yeah, but teapartiers now are very much for it...for themselves, anyway.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the great state of nevada:
bring a chicken to your doctor (double-down remix)
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure it's a chicken and not a gerbil. They're full up on the latter, I tell you what.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully this will not spread to california. we already have animal rights activists causing trouble because we have mice in the basement for research, i don't know _what_ they will do when we start warehousing chickens we get in payment from cancer patients.

and we _will_ need warehouses for the damn things. i hate to think what the noise level will be like.
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice little converter for how many chickens various procedures cost, on average.
Catel

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Health national expense (in % of GNP):
-France: 11%
-USA: 16%

Infant mortality:
-France: 4,2 ‰
-USA: 6,3 ‰

Life expectancy:
-France: 80.7 years
-USA: 78.2 years

(OECD and UNO datas)

A private health care system is more expensive and less efficient. Q.E.D. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 64 of 67

Jump to: