welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Healthcare Rant 2: Die Harder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's genetics. over time, as antibiotics destroy the bacteria that isn't resistant to it, all that's left is what has resistance, and the effectiveness of the antibiotics is decreased. See also: DDT

With the bacteria fear in the US, this was inevitable.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
it's genetics. over time, as antibiotics destroy the bacteria that isn't resistant to it, all that's left is what has resistance, and the effectiveness of the antibiotics is decreased. See also: DDT

With the bacteria fear in the US, this was inevitable.

Well yeah, but a large part of this current problem is also hospitals improper handling and testing of infected patients. Had they run more comprehensive tests the people with the resistant strands may have been identified more readily but when your healthcare is run "for profit" you tend to go with the cheapest option first, not with 'the best' option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame the monkey.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
I blame the monkey.

Hey fuck you buddy Razz
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Yorick wrote:
I blame the monkey.

Hey fuck you buddy Razz

Oh no, that's how the AIDS thing got started! Fool me once...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are small amounts of illegal fungicide in our orange juice? FDA says it's no big deal.

FDA confirms fungicide in orange juice
By MARY CLARE JALONICK | Associated Press – 1 hr 37 mins ago
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Food and Drug Administration says it has confirmed low levels of an illegal fungicide in orange juice samples taken from Florida manufacturers. The FDA says the fungicide is far below dangerous levels, the juice is safe to drink and the orange juice won't be recalled from stores or destroyed. The juice tested was mixed with product from Brazil, where the fungicide carbendazim is used. The government is testing for the chemical in domestic orange juice and in imports because carbendazim is not approved for use on oranges in the United States. It is used in other countries, including Brazil, to combat mold on orange trees.

The test results are the first domestic samples released by the FDA. The government started testing for the chemical after Atlanta-based Coca-Cola, which owns juice brands Minute Maid and Simply Orange, reported finding the chemical in its own juice and in competing juices late last year. Most orange juice products made by Coke and other companies contain a blend of juice from different sources, including Brazil, which is the world's largest orange producer. The FDA said that nine of 14 samples taken from large holding tanks of juice in Florida tested positive at up to 36 parts per billion. The Environmental Protection Agency has said studies show no risks of consuming the chemical at up to 80 parts per billion and true levels of danger are probably thousands of times higher.

The agency said the juice in the tanks will packaged in hundreds of thousands of retail size containers, so the tests were a good representative sample of what will end up on store shelves. The FDA said it will do follow-up testing at the facilities but did not release the names of the companies where the samples were taken. Though the EPA says the juice is safe, the FDA is still detaining any orange juice imports that contain the chemical at more than 10 parts per billion, which is the lowest detectable level. The agency has detained almost a quarter of 86 orange juice shipments at the border since the first of the year, hoping to phase the carbendazim out of the U.S. supply. "We looked at products already in the country and realized there was no safety risk there, and yet carbendazim is technically illegal, we know Brazil uses it and we want to prevent it from entering the country," said FDA spokeswoman Siobhan DeLancey.

All of the imports detained are from Brazil and Canada. Canada doesn't grow oranges but purchases orange juice products from other countries, including Brazil, and then exports it to the United States. Test results released by the FDA showed the highest levels found were in a Jan. 11 shipment of concentrate from Brazil. That shipment contained up to 60 parts per billion of the fungicide, though most samples were much lower.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LD!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you buy oranges from Canada? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy it from the source?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really gets me is that while it's bad enough of a toxin to be outlawed in the US trace amounts are OK in our juice.
LD!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not really great logic to be "got" by . . .
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Susan G Komen for the Cure has decided to stop funding breast cancer screening and treatment at Planned Parenthood. I already didn't like the organization*, but this... yeesh that's terrible. Hey, everyone? CANCER DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOUR POLITICAL AFFILIATION!!!

Also, thinking and talking about this, including the organization's kinda stupid name has made me realize that "Susan G Komen FOR THE HORDE!" is really amusing. Kinda makes me want to play WoW again, make a character named SusanGKomen, and get the "For the Horde!" acheivement. It's a lot of work for a simple gag, but it makes me laugh.

*for several ranty reasons including, but not limited to, the stupid new name, the "lets paint these toasters pink and pretend it's helping, even though it's extremely ineffective at anything but making businesses money," the huge amount spent on overhead, the limited percentage spent on cancer research (you know, the thing that could generate a cure?), and how the organization has been instrumental in making breast cancer fashionable, at the expense of moneys which could be helping research into, say, prostate, testicular, or colon cancer. WHERE'S MY TSHIRT WITH A CATCHY SLOGAN ABOUT SAVING NUTS, HUH? WELL, WHERE IS IT!?! Also because James Cameron.

EDIT: And, they've officially been publically shamed into restoring funding to planned parenthood. Also, SGCFTC claims that this totally wasn't political, a claim I'm sure everyone believes. I know I do!

Last edited by CTrees on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:

[size=9]*for several ranty reasons

it's not because James Cameron didn't make a big enough donation, is it?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
What really gets me is that while it's bad enough of a toxin to be outlawed in the US trace amounts are OK in our juice.

I'm not really seeing the problem here?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
So, Susan G Komen for the Cure has decided to stop funding breast cancer screening and treatment at Planned Parenthood. I already didn't like the organization*, but this... yeesh that's terrible. Hey, everyone? CANCER DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOUR POLITICAL AFFILIATION!!!

Also, thinking and talking about this, including the organization's kinda stupid name has made me realize that "Susan G Komen FOR THE HORDE!" is really amusing. Kinda makes me want to play WoW again, make a character named SusanGKomen, and get the "For the Horde!" acheivement. It's a lot of work for a simple gag, but it makes me laugh.

*for several ranty reasons including, but not limited to, the stupid new name, the "lets paint these toasters pink and pretend it's helping, even though it's extremely ineffective at anything but making businesses money," the huge amount spent on overhead, the limited percentage spent on cancer research (you know, the thing that could generate a cure?), and how the organization has been instrumental in making breast cancer fashionable, at the expense of moneys which could be helping research into, say, prostate, testicular, or colon cancer. WHERE'S MY TSHIRT WITH A CATCHY SLOGAN ABOUT SAVING NUTS, HUH? WELL, WHERE IS IT!?! Also because James Cameron.

EDIT: And, they've officially been publically shamed into restoring funding to planned parenthood. Also, SGCFTC claims that this totally wasn't political, a claim I'm sure everyone believes. I know I do!

How about we help them run over poor women on their way to the bank? They've reversed their stance now btw.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

I'm not really seeing the problem here?

If they're saying it's unsafe to use on our soil then we shouldn't be importing products that show evidence that this illegal substance was used on them.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of it's below the threshold deemed dangerous, so unless they're violating an existing ban on imports specifically how much can they really do? Was the fungicide banned in the US only in regards to human health, or was there some other concern about it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 66 of 67

Jump to: