welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Body Art
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of ideas kicking around in my head for ages. I give myself a bit less than 50% chance of ever actually getting a tattoo, though.

-Slick
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I will never understand about tattoos is having one where you can't ever see it.
SlinkyKat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
Needles.
Totally different needles. Not those great big scary things for piercing:

The tattoo "gun" has itty-bitty needles full of ink. It only hurts on bony areas (like my 18-year-old hip - OUCH) and "soft underbelly" parts, like the inner arm. Other than that, it feels like...well, it's hard to describe. To me, it felt like a sewing machine combined with what I imagine a bee sting feels like, but only for a few minutes. Then it goes all warm but numb. And it is addictive. I got my second tattoo minutes after my first, and my fourth tattoo almost immediately following my third.

I used to fear needles, too. But with all the shooting-up I've seen in movies and on "Intervention," I got used to it. When it comes time to get my shots updated, I just let my arm go limp, look away, and talk to the nurse or whoever so I don't think about it. It's over before I know it and doesnt even hurt.
Eiden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a long way to go in my attempts to be okay with needles.

For now even the description of the tattoo gun as 'itty bittle needles full of ink' hitting you with a sewing machine staccato of bee stings gives me the shivers.
Flion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
One thing I will never understand about tattoos is having one where you can't ever see it.

Oh, mine can be seen. Just not by the general public, mostly. Actually, mine are visible if I'm wearing a swimsuit. I just made sure they wouldn't interfere with my job at IBM, back when. On the other hand, the black rose is not meant to be a constant public declaration of mourning for lost friends and family. It's just an indelible reminder that they not be forgotten. Not really exhibition stuff.

BTW, Yorick, I love the current avatar.

Eiden, it's more like having your skin sandpapered than being stabbed. The needles don't go deep. The winged lion took about an hour and wasn't too bad (though I have, admittedly, an extremely high pain tolerance) and afterward felt like a bad sunburn throughout the healing process. Different places have different pain levels, though. I've heard scalp tattoos are difficult and I found that the breastbone is a tough place to get one. Ankles are also supposed to be more painful. Some places I have seen tattoos just make me shake my head; why would anyone ever want their junk tattooed. For the record, if (insert model/actress name here) were sexually available to me and had tattooed genitals, I would not be interested. It would seem to indicate that sensation there must be dead or nearly so. Or it's a pain fetish, which I'm also not interested in. On the other hand, I find tribal tattoos in the small of the back sexy - but a word of advice for would-be mothers: get the tattoo divided at the spine because most anesthesiologists balk at doing an epidural through a tattoo.

Last edited by Flion on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:

Not all tattoos are decoration.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I love it when people are deliberately ambiguous. It's not annoying in any way.
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has tattoos, a heart with his wife's name and a skull with spider legs. I would probably never get one unless it was a fantastic dragon done by an artist I really admire. However every time someone discovers I can draw really well, their first question is can I make them a Tattoo. Kinda weirds me out to have someone permanently attach my artwork to their body so I avoid it. If someone does that it would have to be something I'm particularly proud of, but I'm very critical of my own art.
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picturesofsky wrote:
Wow, I love it when people are deliberately ambiguous. It's not annoying in any way.

Assuming you're responding to my post: the ambiguity is both logical and necessary, since I can't claim to be an encyclopedia on the reasons people might get a tattoo. Clarification is unnecessary, since Flion provided--in the post, you know, directly before mine--one reason why a tattoo need not be seen.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:

For now even the description of the tattoo gun as 'itty bittle needles full of ink' hitting you with a sewing machine staccato of bee stings gives me the shivers.

I doubt this will help you in anyway, but after a few minutes you really dont feel it anymore if the artist is smooth enough and depending on location. I went on my 18th birthday with my sister who got one on her back. She fell asleep halfway through it which amazed me actually.

However, the one I got on my arm got close to the armpit and it felt like someone was rubbing a cigarette on me.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty serious about getting a tattoo that only lit up under a blacklight, but..

Every time I thought of a good design, I imagined a better one the next day.

So I'm stuck in that loop.
Puma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flion wrote:
it's more like having your skin sandpapered than being stabbed.

Well that sounds much better!

I have no tattoos, partly because of the whole pain thing, but mostly because there is nothing that I care about enough to want a symbol of it permanently inked onto my skin.

This fact actually makes me a bit sad.
Snorri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:

To be honest, that's a pretty frightening description to me too. And I'm not afraid of needles.

Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flion wrote:

BTW, Yorick, I love the current avatar.

thanks!
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Eiden wrote:

To be honest, that's a pretty frightening description to me too. And I'm not afraid of needles.

are you afraid of red hot needles?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: