welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Petite Onrey Lesbians Beat and Stab Spitting Bootlegger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drui

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with having fun and taking pleasure wherever you can find it. But to take pleasure at someone else's expense, which is what you're saying when you said "forget moral and ethical questions, feelings and all that bullshit," that's wrong. Who the hell are you to decide you can do whatever you want regardless of the consequences to other people? You're the same as everyone else, you're not special and you're not above anyone. "Do what you see fit to them?" What gives you that right?
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newark and New York are scary places, where street cred means a lot. Lots of stupid decisions are made in the name of looking tough.

My first thought is that none of the people involved handled the situation well, but the world they live in is very different from mine. I have no idea what the precise circumstances were. I'm not even going to try to pass judgement.

Katrin: I think the purpose of life is being happy. Live your life to be happy, but don't impede on other people's ability to be happy. Where you can, do what you can to help them be happy. Happiness doesn't have to equate selfishness.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Actually a hedonist seeks pleasure often for pleasures sake, they dont necessarily take pleasure in the misfortune of others. Your Schadenfraude is another thing entirely.

Much <3 to anyone who uses "Schadenfreude" in an online debate.

yeah but apparently i spelled it incorrectly so -50billion points to me
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i think we need the concept of 'schadenfraud" - which i take it would mean phony sympathy for another's misfortune.
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding was more along the lines of taking pleasure at another's misfortune. It could be a secret pleasure, combined with a front of false sympathy.

Oh gee, mousie, that is too bad you sat down on that hot grill. It must have really hurt!

*secret glee*

edit: oh, 'fraud'. Didn't notice, never mind.

Last edited by Dro on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no - "schaden" is misfortune, "freude" is joy. so if we replace "freude" with "fraud" we have misfortune-fraud....which could, admittedly, just be some sort of con game, but if we make it parallel with "schadenfreude", then it needs to be an emotional response to (another's) misfortune.

...so i guess really i'm putting more emphasis on the false front then whatever glee may be behind it.
Katrin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drui wrote:
There's nothing wrong with having fun and taking pleasure wherever you can find it. But to take pleasure at someone else's expense, which is what you're saying when you said "forget moral and ethical questions, feelings and all that bullshit," that's wrong.

I never said what I did or do is right or wrong. I simply don't care.

And as I said earlier, I'm not actually taking pleasure in their pain. I'm just finding the comical sides of it.

Quote:
Who the hell are you to decide you can do whatever you want regardless of the consequences to other people?

Katrin wrote:
Do what makes you happy, although I'd be wary of any consequences that might interfere with your happiness later.

Heh.

Anger clouds the mind.

Unless you're talking about their consequences, but I personally don't care very much about that. Unless of course, I'm in a charitable, honest and moral mood. Then I'll be as nice as I want.

Quote:
You're the same as everyone else, you're not special and you're not above anyone. "Do what you see fit to them?" What gives you that right?

Did I say I was special? No, I don't think so...

And if you remember correctly, I actually said that to you people, I'm saying that anyone can do it, but as I said earlier "be wary of any consequences that might interfere with your happiness later."

Like if you spit on me, I'd get my girls to take out some of their belts, beat you with them and then stab you in the stomach.

But then I'd go to jail, which totally sucks.
Marik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: the solution is not to ask any questions Reply with quote

Katrin wrote:
And damn you, Marik! You've turned away my brilliant philosophies, oh doom shall befall me! I have no choice but to change my happy-go lucky days in the hopes that I do not die at the hands of your clever speech.

Quote:
I never said what I did or do is right or wrong. I simply don't care.

You had made a case for your position as a philosophy, which is what I mentioned. I'm wondering in all honesty if it was intended just to be an self-observation of a practice.

If it's a philosophy, though, it's a pretty strange one!
Katrin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a philosophy. Just an easier way to label myself.
LittlestMorte

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you mean is take what you want, then pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it, don't take it.
I think a version of it was in the Preacher comic books, where the Preacher lived by a "do what you need to do, then pay for it" sort of code.
Katrin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... it's best if there are no consequences whatsoever... It means no troubles for me and no hassle to my fun.

But if you want to do it badly enough, go ahead. Just gotta weigh out the bad with the good. Just like how I wanna beat and stab some guy if he spits in my face, but I don't want to go to jail. So I either ignore him or compromise. Compromise being me knocking the guy unconscious and then taking a crap on his face.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How very Platonic of you.
andrew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smell a prime candidate for rational anarchism.
Drui

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katrin wrote:
I simply don't care.

And that's what bothers me.

Katrin wrote:
Unless you're talking about their consequences, but I personally don't care very much about that.

Of course I was talking about their consequences. I'll illustrate my point with an extreme: If you take pleasure in killing someone, but avoid being caught for it, that doesn't make your victim any less dead. So no, you never said you were special, but obviously you think your happiness is more important than what's best for other people.

Katrin wrote:
...as I said earlier "be wary of any consequences that might interfere with your happiness later."

Like if you spit on me, I'd get my girls to take out some of their belts, beat you with them and then stab you in the stomach.

But then I'd go to jail, which totally sucks.

So you don't actually give a shit that it was wrong to stab me in the stomach, you just want to avoid having to take responsibility for your actions so that you can continue doing whatever the fuck you want. You might as well have said "be wary of the consequences because even though it might be right for you to suffer the consequences that would interfere with you getting your way all the time like a spoiled toddler."

And let's make it clear that I'm not angry. I'm repulsed.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Frankly, I don't even see why it's news, apparently no one cares when gangs do it to each other every once in a while/daily. Ooooh lesbians = ratings/pageviews)

I don't like labels on people, especially self-promoted ones. They might be misleading or even created out of self-delusion.

While there's nothing wrong with finding a situation like this amusing (it does have that vaguely ironic gender role reversal going on for it, also maybe some dark humor), you seem to follow the concept that as long as an action that is amusing/entertaining to you, and generally has few or no negative consequences (especially if you're not caught) you should do it.

Well then, I'm off to burn ants with my magnifying glass, catch you later.
I am also going to piss on random things like doorknobs, or dogs. I'll trip random people on a sidewalk with a series of tubes, heehee, they'll never know it was me. Oh man, these hooligan antics are hilarious, I shall further them by being emotionally indifferent when I have fun playing with the feelings or misfortunes of others while I become enraged when they infringe on mine. No, it's alright, I'm better than them. Look at me, I'm a playful Kat surrounded by mice, how dare those mice oppose me, I'm just trying to have fun with their puny lives.

Yup, this totally isn't a philosophy, philosophy usually isn't so hypocritical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: