welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Awesome Wired Issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Awesome Wired Issue Reply with quote

How To Guide with an awesome how to by Stephen Colbert. Also $100 Laptops, battery powered super car, and the infinite arcade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEV: It's about time commercial development of Li-Poly battery vehicles started in earnest. All-electric cars have loads of potential and a decided cool factor about (quiet, non-polluting) them that would make them appealing if their range wasn't crippling. But with a 250 mile max for this Telsa car actually approaxes that you can get from ICE vehicles. If you could sell them at a more down-to-earth price I think the sales potential would be enormous. The potentially lower cost of maintanence should be emphasized, especially with regards to fuel and oil. It'd be especially attractive if you didn't have to leave it charging overnight, which this car does in a mere three and a half hours.
The problems I see are mainly with the batteries: li-poly batteries have a finite lifespan that's not determined by how you charge it but simply by how old it is, and performance degrades over time. Also there is a greater risk of catastrophic failure if you recharge them improperly, as exploding laptops and RC planes demonstrate. Also, this sporty version is being priced high and there's no telling what the sedan will be like. Regardless of lowered maintanence and fuel costs, a high initial investment will prohibit or scare away a lot of potential buyers, especially families.

Games: I admit that the aspect of Wii I'm looking forward to the most is the ability to parooze nearly the entire game library of Nintendo and Sega games and download them. I'd also like it if this system was easily exploited as a distribution channel to homebrew games or mods. The episodic release nature propose for some games is already a reality with the computer game version of Jeff Smith's Bone franchise. I'm not sure about the projection of eliminating physical disks or whatever medium for games, though. Books, slick magazines, and snail mail are still around, after all. I wouldn't be surprised if games continued to be published largely (perhaps not "mostly") in a physical format for years and years.
BoySetsFire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wired has long been my favorite mag. Smile Pretty much since it first hit the newstands.
Egregius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought: 'Ick, podcasts', then I saw the links on the right.

Man, there's actually some pretty good stuff in there, even on the subjects I know 'intimately'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: