welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iran is exploding.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8099501.stm
Quote:

Crowds gather for Ahmadinejad victory rally

Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tienanmen + Twitter = Tehran."

Also, you should really read all of this Roger Cohen piece.
Quote:
She was in tears like many women on the streets of Iran’s battered capital. “Throw away your pen and paper and come to our aid,” she said, pointing to my notebook. “There is no freedom here.”

And she was gone, away through the milling crowds near the locked-down Interior Ministry spewing its pick-ups full of black-clad riot police. The “green wave” of Iran’s pre-election euphoria had turned black.

“Here is my country,” a young woman said to me, voice breaking. “This is a coup. I could have worked in Europe but I came back for my people.” And she, too, sobbed. “Don’t cry, be brave,” a man admonished her. He was from the Interior Ministry. He showed his ID card. He said he’d worked there 30 years. He said he hadn’t been allowed in; nor had most other employees. He said the votes never got counted. He said numbers just got affixed to each candidate. He said he’d demanded of the police why “victory” required such oppression. He said he’d fought in the 1980-88 Iraq war, his brother was a martyr, and now his youth seemed wasted and the nation’s sacrifice in vain. Quoting Ferdowsi, the epic poet, he said, “If there is no Iran, let me be not.”

picturesofsky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. Is the BBC grotesquely misreporting this?
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC Channel 4 had a really good report yesterday. The link you just posted fails to mention the scope of protests seen in the BBC's own videos.

Yeah, that article seems a lot like the stuff we're getting on the major news networks here. "Official story is: X. Have a nice day."

Edit:

From the increasingly Resistance-like Tehran Bureau

Quote:
Just in from Tehran (9:32 am EST) Zahra Rahnavard gave a speech at Tehran University today, Sunday, June 14. To a large audience of students, Ms. Rahnavard announced the latest official statement issued by Mir Hossein Mousavi, who has pledged he will not back down from contesting the fraudulent 22 Khordad election results.

Mousavi calls on all Reformist supporters to take part in a PEACEFUL MARCH & MASS DEMONSTRATION in 20 cities across Iran on Monday, June 15 (doshanbeh, 25 Khordad) at 17:00 to denounce the election results as fraud. He has applied for a license to protect the safety of protestors.

The Tehran location is Valiasr Avenue, from Valiasr Square to Tajrish Square. The locations in other cities are listed below.

Mousavi has also called for a NATIONAL STRIKE on Tuesday, June 16 (Khordad 26) and asked all those who contest the results to close their shops, businesses, etc. and for employees to not go to work that day.

Communication is critical to success for a large turnout, so please forward this to every Iranian you know. The statement is verified on Ghalam News (ghalamnews.ir), the official site of the Mousavi campaign (site rasmi setad).
UPDATES:

– Ghalamnews, Mousavi’s official setad site, has officially confirmed the march along Valiasr tomorrow (Monday) and a national strike on Tuesday. PLEASE FWD THIS NEWS TO ALL. Also, pls post on Facebook – it is blocked, but many can bypass filter and access it.

– There is another rumor going around that the basij has stationed SNIPERS on valiasr … this may be a scare tactic rumor, but it is not unlikely … which makes things so much more deadly. This should also be warned so people see how brutal the regime is prepared to be – worse than the Shah’s army.

I haven't found anything outside the BBC talking about Pro-Ahmadinejad rallies yet.
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bit out of the New York Times. It mentions a rally in Favor of Ahmadinejad, but only in passing and in conjunction with a press conference he held likening the riots in Tehran to emotions after a soccer game:

Quote:
“There will rule of law in this country and all the people are equal before the law,” [Ahmadinejad] said. In a soccer match, he continued, “People may become excited and there may be confrontation between people and the police force. People who violate traffic violations will be fined by the police no matter who he is.”

Reuters quoted a judiciary spokesman on Sunday as saying that the reformists had not been arrested but had been summoned, “warned not to increase tension” and released.

Regarding the protests and alleged voting irregularities, the president told the journalists at the news conference: “Some believed they would win, and then they got angry. It has no legal credibility. It is like the passions after a football match. It is not important from my point of view.”

About a mile away from Mr. Ahmadinejad’s news conference, young Iranians set trash bins, banks and tires on fire as riot police beat them back with batons, The A.P. reported.

But later, the president held a victory rally attended by tens of thousands.

On Saturday, the riot police officers used batons and tear gas against opposition demonstrators who claimed that President Ahmadinejad had stolen the presidential election.

The landslide victory for Mr. Ahmadinejad, an intensely divisive figure here and abroad, came as a powerful shock to opposition supporters, who had cited polls showing that Mr. Moussavi had a strong lead in the final days of the campaign.

Interior Minister Sadegh Mahsouli said Saturday that such a lead was a misimpression based on Mr. Moussavi’s higher levels of support in the capital, and that he had less backing elsewhere.

That last bit is crucial. They say people thought Mousavi would win just because hes more popular in the capital. But the "official" results showed Ahmadinejad winning Tehran with just over 50% of the vote. Which is it?
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
I saw that - crazy (but it's agents provocateur).

i

the

y .. your mom is an agents provocateur
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Mizike wrote:
I saw that - crazy (but it's agents provocateur).

i

the

y .. your mom is an agents provocateur

My mom is several agents provocateur.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian tv has been playing movies all day. Not a word of the unrest.

Iranian police have been basically roaming around, finding any satellite uplinks, and smashing them, in a desperate attempt to curtail the twiter revolution.
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehran Bureau has been down for a few hours (which worried me) but they're back with this:

Quote:
they’re getting calls from tehran saying that the kids there are in bad shape
11:38 AM

az metro mardom daran miyan balah [people are trying to come out of the metro station]…………..the police are blocking them form leaving the metro station and beating them to keep them inside
11:38 AM

theyve created roadblocks in Motehari vah Ghaemmagham with huge cement sturcutures

11:39 AM
in Kooyeh Daneshgah vah joloyeh Vezareteh Keshvar protests massive. they are beating people massive

all sms are down. facebook is down. only a few that have the codes

Can't stop the signal?
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna check the news later to see if any of this is on tv.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104244385

Quote:
Mousavi's newspaper, Kalemeh Sabz, or the Green Word, did not appear on newsstands Sunday. An editor, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation, said the paper never left the printing house because authorities were upset with Mousavi's statements.

The paper's Web site reported that more than 10 million votes in Friday's election were missing national identification numbers similar to U.S. Social Security numbers, which make the votes "untraceable." It did not say how it knew that information.

"Don't worry about freedom in Iran," Ahmadinejad said at his news conference after a question about the disputed election. "Newspapers come and go and reappear. Don't worry about it."

Not suspicious!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehran Bureau wrote:
From Tehran: you have no idea what is going on right now! Im in Zafaranieh (Pesyan) and I can hear the uproar from Valiasr — honking and shouting and chanting …

Also from my balcony facing north into the mountains, people are on their rooftops shouting “marg bar diktator” and “allaho akbar” ["Death to the Dictator!" and "God is Great!"]

total re-enactment of ‘57 !!!!!!

the press is saying “tehran was calm today” — not so. it was in the daytime but since 5pm things have heated up. i’ve talked to friends in different neighborhoods; in Sa’adat Abad and Yousef Abad and Zafar — all over it is “ghogha.” My mom also was in Parkway two hours ago (its 9:30 pm) and there were mass demos and people handing out Mousavi’s latest bayanieh as fliers … and tear gas and attacks by “truckfuls” of Guard-e Vije …

Mousavi reportedly was granted a mojaves for the march tmrw, so it should hopefully be legit and safe

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, some people in high levels of the Iranian government are dissenting as well. I should note that this stuff is tentative and unconfirmed, but we're dealing with a strengthening police state so information is at a premium now more than ever.

Daily Dish wrote:
Grand Ayatollah Sanei in Iran has declared Ahmadinejad's presidency illegitimate and cooperating with his government against Islam. There are strong rumors that his house and office are surrounded by the police and his website is filtered. He had previously issued a fatwa, against rigging of the elections in any form or shape, calling it a mortal sin.

Steve Clemons, who claimed to talk to a well-connected Iranian contact, wrote:
But the scariest point he made to me that I had not heard anywhere else is that this "coup by the right wing" has created pressures that cannot be solved or patted down by the normal institutional arrangements Iran has constructed. The Guardian Council and other power nodes of government can't deal with the current crisis and can't deal with the fact that a civil war has now broken out among Iran's revolutionaries.

My contact predicted serious violence at the highest levels. He said that Ahmadinejad is now genuinely scared of Iranian society and of Mousavi and Rafsanjani. The level of tension between them has gone beyond civil limits -- and my contact said that Ahmadinejad will try to have them imprisoned and killed.

Likewise, he said, Rafsanjani, Khatami, and Mousavi know this -- and thus are using all of the instruments at their control within Iran's government apparatus to fight back -- but given Khamenei's embrace of Ahmadinejad's actions in the election and victory, there is no recourse but to try and remove Khamenei. Some suggest that Rafsanjani will count votes to see if there is a way to formally dislodge Khamenei -- but this source I met said that all of these political giants have resources at their disposal to "do away with" those that get in the way.

If the above is true, and Ahmadinejad intends on killing his opponents, then fffffffffffffffffffffff
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
I'm gonna check the news later to see if any of this is on tv.

I went to cnn.com to check out today's MASSIVE NEWS of GREAT IMPORTANCE

which according to cnn.com was 'six flags declares bankruptcy'

and my local newspaper's massive news was 'bikers are not naked'

ner way to go mass media whooo!
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile CNN the TV channel is covering the Iran thing right now and has been for a while.

Maybe they could show that Internet a thing or two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: