Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There are two shows on tv about infuriatingly stupid people
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
now that they're pirates do we skip ahead to the part where Obama sends the Navy SEALs to blow their heads off?

First they have to throw rotten butter.

I just wanted to throw it out there that although Sea Shepherd says it is "rancid butter", it is in fact Butyric acid. Rancid butter and milk products contain Butyric acid in low concentrations (which gives it it's nasty smell and taste), but rancid butter also doesn't give people chemical burns when you throw it at them.

Sea Shepherd apparently can't tell the difference between industrial strength acid and supermarket butter gone bad. They aren't using "rancid butter", they are using lab-grade concentrated butyric acid, most likely made for the industrial sector.

Some SeaShepherd Website wrote:
However the Japanese public relations flacks have continued to spin the story as if we have been throwing battery acid in the faces of whalers. One Japanese whaler histrionically testified how he was “burnt” by the acid at the recent trial of Captain Peter Bethune.

This is nonsense of course, because C4H8O2 simply does not cause irritation and certainly not corrosive burns, but the continued repeating of this lie by the whalers has led to people actually believing that this is a dangerous substance. It isn’t.

Butyric acid is simply fatty acid occurring in the form of esters in animal fats and plant oils. The triglyceride of butyric acid makes up 3% to 4% of butter. When butter goes rancid, butyric acid is liberated from the glyceride by hydrolysis leading to the unpleasant odor. It is an important member of the fatty acid sub-group called short-chain fatty acids. Butyric acid is a weak acid with a pKa of 4.82. The acid is an oily colorless liquid that is easily soluble in water. In other words, despite its smell it is a food grade product actually used in food additives.

Wikipedia wrote:
The United States Environmental Protection Agency rates and regulates butyric acid as a toxic substance.[17]

Personal protective equipment such as rubber or PVC gloves, protective eye goggles, and chemical-resistant clothing and shoes are used to minimize risks when handling butyric acid.

Inhalation of butyric acid may result in soreness of throat, coughing, a burning sensation and laboured breathing. Ingestion of the acid may result in abdominal pain, shock, and collapse. Physical exposure to the acid may result in pain, blistering and skin burns, while exposure to the eyes may result in pain, severe deep burns and loss of vision.[18]

The worst part is these people call themselves "scientists". As a science student doing a chemistry major, I find it pretty fucking offensive. Not to mention the fact half of them are a bunch of a racist assholes.

Edit: Gah, now this is really starting to set me off. They go into the fact that Butyric acid is harmless because it has a pKa of 'only' 4.82. Water has a pKa of 15.7, Hydrofluoric acid has a pKa of 3.17. HF acid will eat through glass, concrete, just about anything other than plastic (it actually made an appearance in Breaking Bad, in which it dissolved a body in the bathtub, then the bathtub, then the floor beneath the bathtub, which is realistically what can happen with concentrated HF) in fact, HF is so reactive that it will boil itself in a test tube at high concentrations, as it eats through the glass. Given that the difference in pKa between HF and Butyric acid is much smaller than the difference between Butyric acid and water, by Sea Shepherds own reasoning Butyric acid should actually be incredibly dangerous. JESUS CHRIST THE AGONY OF WATCHING SCIENCE BE PERVERTED BY PEOPLE TRYING TO JUSTIFY THEIR ACTIONS.

Edit2: Oh for fuck sake now they're trying to say that it's harmless because "vinegar has a lower pH than it". Newsflash, Lye and potassium cyanide have a higher pH than both, so why don't we just mix up an oven cleaner and cyanide martini, because I'm sure that is completely non dangerous, it has a pH of ~11!

Also not to mention the morality of fouling a ships prop in an area filled with ice floes. If a ship without power drifts into an ice floe, suffers structural damage and sinks, I wonder how Sea Shepherd would deal with trying to explain away why they felt it was right to condemn the captain and crew most likely to a death of hypothermia in icy water.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
I keep hoping for Dagon. But then, that would require those slackers in Innsmouth to get off their lazy asses...

I just want to say that this post confused me for a minute.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
now that they're pirates do we skip ahead to the part where Obama sends the Navy SEALs to blow their heads off?

First they have to throw rotten butter.

I just wanted to throw it out there that although Sea Shepherd says it is "rancid butter", it is in fact Butyric acid. Rancid butter and milk products contain Butyric acid in low concentrations (which gives it it's nasty smell and taste), but rancid butter also doesn't give people chemical burns when you throw it at them.

Unless ShadowCell was talking about something else I assumed he was referencing this: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s13e07-fatbeard

That said, yeah, perverting science is shitty business and generally bad for everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i was thinking more of this but okay

you cannot qualify whale war in harsher terms than i will. whale war is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought whale war into our country deserve all the curses and rancid butter a people can pour out.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
actually i was thinking more of this but okay

you cannot qualify whale war in harsher terms than i will. whale war is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought whale war into our country deserve all the curses and rancid butter a people can pour out.

The Alabama incident happened only a couple of weeks before the South Park aired. They make the episodes literately the week before they air in order to allow for coverage of topical events. My guess is the show's ending (which has Navy SEALs sniping Somali pirates) was based on the events with the Alabama.

And a quick wiki search confirms it:

Quote:
"Fatbeard" was written and directed by series co-creator Trey Parker. It originally aired on Comedy Central in the United States on April 22, 2009 and was the mid-season finale, marking the final South Park episode until October 2009.[1] "Fatbeard" is based on real-life piracy in Somalia, which began receiving increasing international media attention in 2008.[2][3] The ending, in which the pirates are each shot to death by American snipers, reflects the resolution of the pirate hijacking of the MV Maersk Alabama in April 2009, where U.S. Navy SEALs rescued the captain after three snipers simultaneously killed three pirates with one shot each.[4][5] They are portrayed in a particularly sympathetic light when they are killed during the ending.[4] Travis Fickett of IGN said, "It's one of those moments where South Park feels the need to give voice to a side the media is ignoring – and points out that things aren't quite as cut and dry as we might like."[1] The episode has also been described as a commentary on the way in which Americans tend to take their relative wealth and comfort for granted.[5][6] A U.S. Navy SEAL ordering another to "not hit the white ones" has also been described as an indictment of the American approach to foreign policy.[5]

On a related note, they mocked the crew of the Sea Shepard in an episode called Whale Whores.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

Also not to mention the morality of fouling a ships prop in an area filled with ice floes. If a ship without power drifts into an ice floe, suffers structural damage and sinks, I wonder how Sea Shepherd would deal with trying to explain away why they felt it was right to condemn the captain and crew most likely to a death of hypothermia in icy water.

probably by saying that in killing the crew, they saved a whole mess of whales.

because hey, if you value the lives of whales, you don't have to value any other lives, right?

(but one of the things that got me in the few shows i watched was how very little they seemed to be aware of what a dangerous environment they were in. i think i mentioned the idiocy of not doing a checklist on a boat before you launch it - that can be literally life or death, in a harsh place where it is a hell of a lot easier than you might think to get lost. especially if your engine fails.)
Tiogshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later generations will doubtless characterize the outset of that expedition something like this....

"A boat's just something you drive, like a truck. You dont check a truck over before you pull out of the driveway. And no-one would sell a second-hand truck when it doesn't work perfectly in every way. C'mon, guys, whales are dying out there while we waste time at the pierside! Pay Cut-Me-Own-Mainsail Dibbler for the boat, and let's get whale-saving!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: