welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative medicine—if it worked, it would just be medicine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tea poultices.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Yep, it appears I'm wrong. Smile

Not like it's the first time - and I'm more than happy to admit it. There's a lot of chemical content in teas that are both boiled off and increased in bioavailability due to our inability to break down cellulose... turns out I should have googled it, though, as you've obviously done.

EDIT: Oh, and as for "intellectual dishonesty," you can fuck yourself. I'm not dishonest, I'm wrong. You don't have to be a cock just because you're right. Grow up.

Jesus, Russ. You were the one who told him he was wrong in the first place, all the while attempting to correct him with your own piece of trivia, he provided proof to the contrary and you tell him to go fuck himself? Really, Russ? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't you the one priding yourself with having countless reputable sources at your disposal before you opine to back up your arguments? So what the fuck, mate?

Also, isn't correcting someone, even in attempt, particularly when the information you're supplying is not very empirically accurate, dishonest? Hmm?
gally912

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: amiright? Reply with quote

Really, it might help if you weren't an a jerk to him first.
Dogen wrote:

Okay. Totally irrelevant to the conversation, not at all addressing what I said in my post, but okay... get down with your bad self.

And then reply so condescendingly.
Dogen wrote:

This is, unsurprisingly, completely wrong!

Doing that less would make him respond with less "offensive" posts.

Just sayin.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both seem to fixate on the part where I told Brilly to fuck himself, which is ironically the part where he was wrong. Definitions of dishonesty (according to four dictionaries I checked online before posting, just for Guest) include things like "deceit," "lying," and "fraudulence," none of which apply to the simple proposition of being arrogantly wrong. It is utterly incorrect to say I was being dishonest. I pointed it out strongly because honesty is important. His tone - whether he's nice to me or not - is not important to me. If it were important, I would be nicer to him. If you want to try and kick me when I'm down you should talk about the part where he was right, which was with regard to the total content of polyphenols after boiling.

Did either of you have anything to add on the issue of polyphenol bioavailability, or did you just want to talk about how well me and Brilly get along?

Guest wrote:
...when the information you're supplying is not very empirically accurate...

I should point out that the majority of the information in my post was factually accurate - and derived from a textbook entitled Psychopharmacology by Meyer and Quenzer, published by Sinauer. Everything about solubility, pH and pharmacodynamics was true. The question was how those principles applied to polyphenols in tea.
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Did either of you have anything to add on the issue of polyphenol bioavailability, or did you just want to talk about how well me and Brilly get along?

Forget it, Dogen. It's Sinfest.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know... all I need is for Him and Mindslicer to show up and I'll have collected everyone with whom it's pointless to argue into one place.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, poor Russ.

For what it's worth, I don't think you were dishonest. Dishonesty implies lying or withholding information purposely. And I don't think you were doing that at all.

Thinking you're right, and knowingly talking shit to sound like you're right are two different things.

Guest and gally are ambulance chasers when it comes to arguments and debates on the forums. They're shit stirrers. Just ignore them.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK DOGEN IS BAD AND MEAN AND HE TOUCHED ME IN MY PEE PEE PLACE
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
You both seem to fixate on the part where I told Brilly to fuck himself, which is ironically the part where he was wrong. Definitions of dishonesty (according to four dictionaries I checked online before posting, just for Guest) include things like "deceit," "lying," and "fraudulence," none of which apply to the simple proposition of being arrogantly wrong. It is utterly incorrect to say I was being dishonest. I pointed it out strongly because honesty is important. His tone - whether he's nice to me or not - is not important to me. If it were important, I would be nicer to him. If you want to try and kick me when I'm down you should talk about the part where he was right, which was with regard to the total content of polyphenols after boiling.

Guest wrote:
...when the information you're supplying is not very empirically accurate...

I should point out that the majority of the information in my post was factually accurate - and derived from a textbook entitled Psychopharmacology by Meyer and Quenzer, published by Sinauer. Everything about solubility, pH and pharmacodynamics was true. The question was how those principles applied to polyphenols in tea.

Come on, Russ. Don't be dense. What do I know about tea? Fuck all, that's what. Apart from putting it in boiling water, that's about it. Anyway, don't change the subject. Intellectual dishonesty aside, you were mad because Brilly was being a cock. And you told him ways on how to be less offensive and how to be less of a cock. Now, here's what's bugging me: How the fuck... can you be upset... when you instigated the fucking thing?

Yorick wrote:

I don't see you adding anything on the subject either.

trustedfaith wrote:
Guest and gally are ambulance chasers when it comes to arguments and debates on the forums. They're shit stirrers. Just ignore them.

Nor you. Sorry, how is this not shit stirring again?
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Yorick wrote:

Only a damn fine riff on a damn fine line from a damn fine ending to a damn fine movie film!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, when you are a jerk in your posts, dont expect a flowery return.

And really, ambulance chaser? I mean, I'm still *relatively* new, but when where these forums anything but arguing and having a good laugh?
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Yorick wrote:

I'm just a bystander and observer. Don't be draggin' my heart around again.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Come on, Russ. Don't be dense. What do I know about tea? Fuck all, that's what. Apart from putting it in boiling water, that's about it. Anyway, don't change the subject. Intellectual dishonesty aside, you were mad because Brilly was being a cock. And you told him ways on how to be less offensive and how to be less of a cock. Now, here's what's bugging me: How the fuck... can you be upset... when you instigated the fucking thing?

gally912 wrote:
Hey, when you are a jerk in your posts, dont expect a flowery return.

Since you guys seem really interested in my interpersonal relationships, I'll lay it out for you really simple.

In real life: Someone says something Russ thinks is wrong. Russ corrects them, with a level of politeness in direct correlation to his esteem for them. They show him to be wrong. Russ accepts new knowledge and moves on with his life.

On the internet: Someone says something Dogen thinks is wrong. Dogen corrects them, with a level of politeness in direct correlation to his esteem for them. They show him to be wrong. Dogen accepts new knowledge and moves on with his life.

In real life: Someone calls Russ a liar synonymously. Russ tells them to go fuck themselves, regardless of his esteem for them. They either cope or they don't, and Russ moves on with his life.

On the internet: Someone calls Dogen a liar synonymously. Dogen tells them to go fuck themselves, regardless of his esteem for them...

...see how this works? Now, really guys... does this conversation need to continue? You both seem to be repeating the same argument, and I have a feeling my response isn't going to change... so...
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intellectual dishonesty is a specific phrase, please do not pretend as if I actually called you a liar.

The pertinent example taken straight from the Wikipedia and slightly edited for clarity is:

The advocacy of a position which the advocate does not know (FOR CERTAIN) to be true, and has not performed rigorous due diligence to ensure the truthfulness of the position.

You ask me why I used that phrase?

Because I find it hard to believe that someone who seems so articulate on the matter to make a mistake involving activation energy, a concept learned in basic chemistry.

Furthermore, I do not enjoy sitting idle while I am insulted repeatedly after trying very hard to just let the issue go, especially after I attempted to apologize upon seeing that I hit a sore point, just to see the apology rejected.

So excuse me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Since you guys seem really interested in my interpersonal relationships, I'll lay it out for you really simple.

In real life: Someone says something Russ thinks is wrong. Russ corrects them, with a level of politeness in direct correlation to his esteem for them. They show him to be wrong. Russ accepts new knowledge and moves on with his life.

On the internet: Someone says something Dogen thinks is wrong. Dogen corrects them, with a level of politeness in direct correlation to his esteem for them. They show him to be wrong. Dogen accepts new knowledge and moves on with his life.

In real life: Someone calls Russ a liar synonymously. Russ tells them to go fuck themselves, regardless of his esteem for them. They either cope or they don't, and Russ moves on with his life.

On the internet: Someone calls Dogen a liar synonymously. Dogen tells them to go fuck themselves, regardless of his esteem for them...

...see how this works? Now, really guys... does this conversation need to continue? You both seem to be repeating the same argument, and I have a feeling my response isn't going to change... so...

Alright, nevermind. Fuck it. You don't get it. No point continuing.

Last edited by Guest on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: