Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In the world of science XLXVIII: 13 nonsensical things
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: In the world of science XLXVIII: 13 nonsensical things Reply with quote

http://www.newscientist.com/special/13-more-things

I quite like articles like this. Generally cos they make scientists cross. Click the link above for full links to each article.

Quote:
Strive as we might to make sense of the world, there are mysteries that still confound us.

Michael Brooks presents thirteen of the most perplexing. Cracking any one of them could yield profound truths.

Axis of evil

Radiation left from the big bang is still glowing in the sky in a mysterious and controversial pattern

Dark flow

Something unseeable and far bigger than anything in the known universe is hauling a group of galaxies towards it at inexplicable speed

Eocene hothouse

Tens of millions of years ago, the average temperature at the poles was 15 or 20 C. Now let's talk about climate change

Fly-by anomalies

Space probes using Earth's gravity to get a slingshot speed boost are moving faster than they should. Call in dark matter

Hybrid life

The fusion of two distinct evolutionary lines is not supposed to work but the seas are teeming with chimeras that prove it can

Morgellons disease

Fatigue? Do you feel insects under your skin? Seen any strange fibres sprouting from your body? Then you've got a disease that's not supposed to exist

The Bloop

During 1997, US undersea monitoring equipment heard a series of sounds far louder than any whale song. They were never heard again

Antimatter mystery

The big bang should have created matter and antimatter in equal amounts so why didn't the universe disappear in a puff of self-annihilation?

The lithium problem

The universe only contains a third as much lithium as it's supposed to

MAGIC results

High-energy radiation from a gamma-ray burst reached Earth 4 minutes later than the lower-energy rays. That's not how Einstein said it would be

The elusive monopole

Why do magnetic poles always come paired as north and south, never alone?

Noise from the edge of the universe

Are dud signals from a gravitational wave detector evidence that the universe is a holographic projection?

The nocebo effect

How a diagnosis of terminal illness can come true even if it's wrong

Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I quite like articles like this. Generally cos they make scientists cross.

Dro is in fact frothing with anger over the notion that science does not know everything.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not getting enough lithium.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "scientists", I mean "annoying people on the internet"
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picturesofsky wrote:
By "scientists", I mean "annoying people on the internet"

I've always found Dro's posts delightful, so I have absolutely no idea who you are talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate you all.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from Dro. Who is lovely.
Dro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those unknowns seem a little weak. Putting "I've got threads coming out of my arm"-disease next to fundamental patterns of radiation being odd seems like a poor choice. *froth froth*
Idlethought

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting the "I've got threads coming out from my arm" next to "everything we know about the universe is fundamentally wrong and we don't know how to fix it" seems like an even poorer choice.

Physics issues >>> all other issues
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about Dark Flow a few days ago, it's fascinating and completely bewildering stuff.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like how morgellons is controversial, but definitely not controversial enough for google ads to tell you that a cure with some silver or something is available right away!
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idlethought wrote:
Putting the "I've got threads coming out from my arm" next to "everything we know about the universe is fundamentally wrong and we don't know how to fix it" seems like an even poorer choice.

Physics issues >>> all other issues

In some ways yes but in some ways no. After all, the only constant, unchanging fact in all of the entire scientific world is that any previous discovery and/or conclusion can be rendered null and void by future discoveries and/or conclusions.

Being able to say "We were wrong" is perhaps one of the most crucial elements of scientific progress.

Also, I'm drunk. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nathan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Science reporting makes me cross. Totally responsible for destroying the public trust in scientific "experts."

Fuck you, Time magazine.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: cribbed from Boing Boing Reply with quote

How Science Reporting Works
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: