welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"We'll buy you a different t-shirt."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím amazed anyone can defend the airport/police on this. How is refusing to allow someone to fly based on the language they use not just racism?
Celaeno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racism or not (and trust me, that part's still absolutely appalling), how did we get to the point where Constitutional rights mean nothing? How is this story not a bigger deal? Where is the mass outrage?
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Omega F wrote:
I argue that a white person or black person or hispanic person wearing a shirt with arabic script would also get stopped.

Because, naturally, it's script we should be worried about. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. Rather than worry about things that might actually make us safer, they antagonize someone for wearing a shirt that simply reminds them of something that makes them uncomfortable.

The airline has a right to refuse service (police involvement aside) but that doesn't make this any less ignorant.

In their view, it may well BE what they need to be worried about. Complete and unerringly thorough security is a logistical impossibility, but the appearance of security will keep the ticket booths busy. Similarly, it is the most visible aspect of Homeland Security in the eyes of the voting public. Removal of fear-causing elements at airports, legality aside, should by all means be a prime objective for both the airports and the politocops.

No ignorance here, just a difference of motives.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittlestMorte wrote:
Quote:
"why do you want me to take off my t-shirt? Isn't it my constitutional right to express myself in this way?" The second man in a greenish suit interfered and said "people here in the US don't understand these things about constitutional rights".

What. The. Fuck.

this is highly disturbing...especially since it seems to be the point of view of far too many of our elected officials - "hell, the people don't get it, they won't even notice if we curtail their rights"
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:
Racism or not (and trust me, that part's still absolutely appalling), how did we get to the point where Constitutional rights mean nothing? How is this story not a bigger deal? Where is the mass outrage?

I'm afraid you've misunderestimated your peers.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me hurt. Fuck it.

SCOTUS, here I come. Give me a couple of decades. And a degree from a top ten law school. Oh, and money and connections. Thanks.
dazedb42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this on a shirt so I guess I wont be flying to the US for a bit.
Amilam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have an order against Arabic t-shirts? Is there such a law against Arabic script?" so inspector Harris answered "you can't wear a t-shirt with Arabic script and come to an airport. It is like wearing a t-shirt that reads "I am a robber" and going to a bank".

Thatís unbelievably stupid. Consider that Muslim Americans have been near ideal citizens during these years of contention in the Middle East. Iíve been to multiple mosques and talked with dozens of muslims and imams and they have all been incredible people. I take personal offense to this. It is racism in the most dangerous form as we absolutely cannot afford to alienate Muslim Americans. Seriously, heads should roll over this nonsense.

Omega F wrote:
kame wrote:
The contention is that he was singled out because he was a muslim wearing a shirt with arabic script, which is racist. Also, it would be pretty stupid to code terrorist messages in arabic script.

I argue that a white person or black person or hispanic person wearing a shirt with arabic script would also get stopped.

That's just asinine. As a matter of fact I did wear a shirt that had Ariabic on it to the airport. I didn't realise that was the shirt I had grabbed until we were on the way to airport, which gave me and my friend a chuckle, but I was not hassled by security.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
Removal of fear-causing elements at airports, legality aside, should by all means be a prime objective for both the airports and the politocops.

yes, let's all remember that fear-causing elements are the sole property of the republican '06 mid-term election campaign platform.

...and i do mean the sole property.
Amilam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racism is not a valid fear.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sympathizer
Omega F

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been stopped in the airport plenty of times because of my appearence. This is probably due to the fact that I have been confused for middle eastern many times. I don't really care, though. It does not bother me. Do I stand up and go, HEY!!! WHY AREN'T YOU STOPPING THAT WHITE GUY OVER THERE?!?! I'M NOT A TERRORIST, YOU SONOFABITCH!!

No, because I know that flawed or not, its easier to play along and move on than to bitch and get harassed.

I believe in constituational rights, but a lot of this crap is like the boy who cried wolf. Do I believe that due to the 2nd amendment I can carry a gun on an airplane? No. Even if its not loaded? No. It's not dangerous at that point, so why not? Its all in the appearence.

To my knowledge, the shirt had no religious signficance. THAT is the point where I would draw the line. If a person was forced to remove a yarmulke or a turban or a cross, then that would be significant and truly our rights would be impinged. Past that, it's just some jack-off who has a chip on his shoulder and wants to draw attention to himself.

I used to be all about stuff like this, but I grew up and learned to pick and choose my battles.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega F wrote:
I used to be all about stuff like this, but I grew up and learned to pick and choose my battles.

Well, while you may have given up on certain rights, like free speech, the rest of us have not. I don't understand why you think free speech is a less important freedom than free practice of religion, but that doesn't make it childish for others to hold all of our rights in the same level of regard.
sporko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeping your head down is the answer! damn the man (but for god's sake, don't make a fuss about it)!

baa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sporko wrote:
keeping your head down is the answer! damn the man (but for god's sake, don't make a fuss about it)!

baa

Feel free to talk about the high price of bombs to your nearest flight attendant. Because that's what sheeps don't doooo!! OOOOO!!!, you don't wanna be a sheep now!!

Reflexively responding to every stimuli is also sheep behavior. Knowing that an airport isn't the place to pick a fight about freedom of expression/speech, that requires intelligence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: