welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gun control happy fun times thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Highlord wrote:

So, when are we banning handguns?

You can ban them all you want, if you think its gonna stop gun crimes in America you are fooling yourself.
dazedb42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to ban them you would need an armistice and buy-back scheme, you can't even sort out health care....

handguns are shit weapons, at least with a rifle you can pin someone from more than 10 feet. Ban them.
Mizike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazedb42 wrote:
to ban them you would need an armistice and buy-back scheme, you can't even sort out health care....

handguns are shit weapons, at least with a rifle you can pin someone from more than 10 feet. Ban them.

Gun buybacks also don't work well.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
dazedb42 wrote:

Gun buybacks also don't work well.

We had one here in Baltimore a few years back. Was one ofthose "no questions asked" kind of deals too. I know of a few people who got used it, but all in all it did no where near what was hoped.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I posted this article here a few years ago, but it's still the best gun buyback story I've ever heard:

Quote:
Florida cops swap shoes for missile launcher

Police in America were hoping for a good turnout at their 'Kicks for Guns' program, in which people were encouraged to exchange weapons for sneakers. What they weren't expecting was for someone to hand in a surface-to-air missile launcher.

Naturally, this happened in Florida.

An man exchanged the 4-foot-long launcher for some Reebok sneakers for his daughter, the Orlando Sentinel reported on Friday.

Taking advantage of the exchange's no-questions-asked policy, the man was not identified. He told the Orlando Sentinel that he found the weapon in a shed he tore down last week.

'I didn't know what to do with it, so I brought it here,' he told the newspaper. 'I took it to three dumps to try to get rid of it and they told me to get lost.'

Besides the missile launcher, police collected more than 250 guns. They were all exchanged for sneakers, or for 25 ($50) gift certificates.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Snorri wrote:
Exactly!

Doesn't that mean that the chances of getting shot while carrying a gun outside are increased?

Spurious correlations muddle that one up seriously. You could just as easily claim that the inverse is true. That people who are at high risk of getting shot in the first place tend to carry guns as a reaction to their environment.

And that's true, to an extent I won't claim to measure with any authority, but still there. If you profiled people who actually carry a piece on them, most of them are going to be people like street urchins and folks who run liquor stores and pawn shops in the wrong parts of cities like Baltimore or Detroit.

Or people like my uncle, who are much more likely to be carrying when they know they're going to be in a bad part of town.

-Slick
E-boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many studies have been done and so many of them done badly that I'm very tired of seeing them. Press reports just make things worse with their hype and all too frequent failure to go into any depth on what they're reporting on. Hearing about an article in a journal is nice, but it's not an assurance that their science will stand up in peer review. In short this blurb does nothing to change my stance on gun control.

It does seem to suggest that better enforcement of existing laws would go a long way towards stopping criminals from shooting people.

I don't need a government funded study to tell me that poor use of tools (Any tools) can result in piss poor work, unintended consequences, injury or death. There's plenty of data out there about that already. Hell cars are tools and they get misused often with spectacular results.

I don't own a gun. I don't like them. Personal preference. I know many people who do own guns. So far my trust in them to do so responsibly has been rewarded with none of them using said guns to kill anybody.

Folks can throw horror stories around all day in most cases simple enforcement of existing laws would do far more to curb gun violence than writing more legislation that fails to be enforced. Emotional involvement in the issue hasn't brought anything to the issue but kneejerk angry responses from both sides. I've had family members killed by gun toting criminals. Worse the gun toting criminal in question was never caught. I can honestly say a ban on handguns or firearms in general would have saved my uncle's life. The guy who shot him was facing long term jail time just for using a weapon in the robbery. I don't think he was worried about doing time for an illegally procured fire arm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: